WHAT TO DO OR WHERE TO POST WHEN YOU NEED A FEW TESTERS?

Pages: 1
Hey, I'm new to these forums, so I'm not completely sure. I've made roughly half of my game, it's on the shortish side, and it's the first one I've made that I've considered good enough to possibly put up on this site.

So I kinda would like some input from other players then just myself play testing it so I can get some constructive criticism and thoughts. ^^; Would that be posting it here or what?
Hello and welcome!
There is a number of things you can do
The site usually keeps games (and advertising thereof) separate from the forums. It's still a place you can request and ask for people, but there is more you can do.

- get a gamepage up and going (profile bar -> submit game)
-> then, once it is accepted, add download and create a blog asking for testers, possibly giving direction on what you want
- seek specific feedback on maps in the screenshot thread for newbies (pardon me if that sounds rude, that one's extra friendly~ there's also another more general one to show off here)
- write up a member of the people listed as playtesters here (like me!)

Please note that when you write people up .. please only write up one or two* people at a time first. 'tis good manner.
Thank you for the in-depth answer! :D
So I might make a gamepage, but kinda reserving letting it out to a huge userbase for a later time.

All I would have to do is go to the page you linked , look under 'Playtesters', then just pm some of them and ask if they would want to try the game?

One person at a time meaning wait until the first one responds to ask another or just go for one tester?
You're welcome! I do a lot of playing other's games, so I come across these things a lot.

author=Knightowl
All I would have to do is go to the page you linked , look under 'Playtesters', then just pm some of them and ask if they would want to try the game?

One person at a time meaning wait until the first one responds to ask another or just go for one tester?

Exactly that!
As for the person limit..
Ask one person, see if they respond and write up another when they do not.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Well, the amount of time to sit on a response to a PM requesting for assistance would probably vary between recipients/users. As a general rule, I'd say give it about a week before trying somebody else?
Alright was just wanting to make sure. I was thinking about getting 2-3 people's input on it or so. Variety's good. xD

Thanks guys. :3
Yeah. The general idea is just to not write up everyone. It's happened, and while I can understand why you'd love that, it's not fair to others and not very respectful of everyone's time, either (plus, dems the rules outlined in the thread)
Well yeah I wouldn't write up -everyone- but would asking another person or two be alright, is what I mean? o.o
Liberty
DO NOT just spam PM every person on a list. It's a hassle to wait, but pick one or two and ask them, then ask others if there's no reply after a few days or a week. People have lives outside of RMN, after all. Don't just assume that people are ignoring you.

Yes, is alright to do.
Alrighty. :3 Thanks very much again~
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm tempted to say that you could PM three people at the most. Though, I don't really know, to be honest!

*Edit: Or, it could have been on the page itself. WELP.
Three would be fine. I was more thinking "Don't ask everyone" but I'd say three at the absolute most.

There's also the option of putting up a game page and download... but the download can be ticked so that only people you designate as testers can gain access to it.

You'd basically tick the 'Testers only' option when uploading the download, then under the Users setting in the Manage Gamepage options (findable only after the game has been accepted) you can add the names of people and set them as Testers. Then those people would be able to access the download, but no-one else.

Another reason to recommend a game page is that you can write up a Request blog which will not only alert those following your game page (and thus the people who most likely want to see your game completed) but also Request blogs get duplicated and sent to the Help forums so that people can see them there as well. And of course the front page and Community page exposure that every blog gets, too.
Oh really? I didn't now you can designate only certain people able to download your game off of a game page. o-o That's really helpful, thanks Liberty. xD

I might take the time to work out a page then. o:
Pages: 1