PRESIDENT TRUMP

Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=Sated
That must be why the USSR made it to the moon first: Because America didn't allow V2 engineers who were members of the Nazi party to emigrate to the United States*. OH WAIT!

While true, Werner von Braun was jailed by the Nazi party so I doubt he was much of a fan of them after the war had ended.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Solitayre
Sated
That must be why the USSR made it to the moon first: Because America didn't allow V2 engineers who were members of the Nazi party to emigrate to the United States*. OH WAIT!
While true, Werner von Braun was jailed by the Nazi party so I doubt he was much of a fan of them after the war had ended.

He wasn't. All von Braun ever wanted to do was make spaceships, but the Nazi's made him make bombs. So when the war ended, he made sure that he defected to the US because he was afraid the USSR would make him make bombs. We made him make bombs, but we eventually let him make spaceships.

Sorry.

edit : kekeke! The whole State's Rights argument that the Republicans have been championing for the last few decades is about to flip, as State's Rights becomes the purview of Democrats.

In other news : There was a walkout of Montgomery County High Schools in protest of Trump today. It's nice to see that, even if the education system has made each successive generation less and less able to function in modern society, kids still know how to exercise their 1st Amendment.
author=harmonic
I mean it's the KKK. Why not put the blame on the KKK for being delusional about this being some sort of white nationalist victory? It's really not. It's not Trump's job to handhold every nutjob who gets it in their head that his election is some sort of mandate for their fringe ideology that, really, has no power and nobody cares about.

So you don't think there's ANY reason behind the sentiment that Trump has empowered racist groups and has done little (if anything, he took advantage of them) to quell it?

You definitely have your head in the sand if you believe that.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Feldschlacht IV
So you don't think there's ANY reason behind the sentiment that Trump has empowered racist groups and has done little (if anything, he took advantage of them) to quell it?

You definitely have your head in the sand if you believe that.

Maybe we just feel that there is a large difference in what is necessary. He has publicly denounced and disavowed David Duke and the KKK several times. What would you like him to do?
pianotm
harmonic
Maybe we just feel that there is a large difference in what is necessary. He has publicly denounced and disavowed David Duke and the KKK several times. What would you like him to do?

Well of course he has. He may be an egotistical dick, but he's not an idiot. You know, I've got my own opinion of a man who says that illegal immigrants are rapists and murderers when any one who does a shred of research would know that they are actually the demographic that has become slaves in the modern age, forced to work on farms for between two to four dollars, the women sold into prostitution, all under the threat of being reported to INS. Undoubtedly, a certain amount of illegals are rapists and killers, but most aren't and what would they all be going back to if they'd actually prefer to be slaves? There's a reason there are laws giving these people rights, and the promise to take those rights away is racist, whether you like it or not.
author=harm

He did (maybe not loudly enough, but maybe that is subjective), but I'm referring more to your casual dismissiveness of what the KKK really is; yes, in recent years they're ineffectual and 'nobody cares' about them. Maybe not to you; but as recently as 50 years they were killing black people en masse and even my grandma (who is still alive and not extremely old) remembers when she was a kid they hung our people like fruit.

The KKK may not have much 'hard' power anymore but you really underestimate how vile they are and how they make people of color feel just by hearing their name.
Why is it that every single discussion on RMN always end up being about racism or bigotry?
You guys always steer the topic into the same old every single time. It's starting to look like an obsession to me. I just wanted to discuss whiny people D:
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=SnowOwl
Why is it that every single discussion on RMN always end up being about racism or bigotry?
You guys always steer the topic into the same old every single time. It's starting to look like an obsession to me. I just wanted to discuss whiny people D:

They are whining about racism, does that count? :D
Are you really surprised a topic about Trump ends up being about racism and bigotry?
harmonic
...What I don't understand is why I'm being told that the KKK is bad. I didn't mean to make them out to be a non-issue, just that they don't have any influence on our culture/politics. It's like westboro baptist church. No one likes them. We all know the KKK is bad.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
(EDIT: The KKK (and the WBC) are bad not only because of the outright harm they cause, but because people pay attention to them and listen to them. They have influence. They are frightening to the people they condemn, and can sway average people closer to their viewpoints, even if the average person doesn't actually put on a white hood.)

Yea, I mean, racism and bigotry are one of Trump's noticeable criticisms, so it's pretty obvious it's going to be a talking point. But, hell, we could switch to discussing another topic of criticism, such as increasing military spending!

Why the hell do we need to increase military spending? We don't need more war-power and I'd rather not just have it sitting around. We don't need to make more nuclear weapons - we have more than will ever be usable. We already spend a ton of money making way too many outdated tanks - so many that higher-ups in the military are even saying it's a waste of our spending and so many that we're buying more storage facilities so the tanks can sit there and do nothing (or occasionally selling them overseas at a loss). We have the world's most powerful, all-encompassing Navy. If we want to change our military strategy, we should be redirecting our current funding from this traditional (outdated) hardware to research new technology, new reconnaissance, etc.

A lot of the reason we're spending money on the military is because it keeps jobs around - military manufacturers don't want to go out of business. I would argue, though, that we'd be better off spending that money on national infrastructure. We could use that money we've been spending on the military to build new roads and bridges, repair our existing highways, repair schools and public buildings, etc. This would not only create or keep a bunch of jobs, but also provide way more immediate and noticeable benefit to our citizens.

author=harmonic
...What I don't understand is why I'm being told that the KKK is bad. I didn't mean to make them out to be a non-issue, just that they don't have any influence on our culture/politics. It's like westboro baptist church. No one likes them. We all know the KKK is bad.

I don't think the very real rise in racial tensions surrounding Trump's messaging is something that should be so easily dismissed/forgiven. I'd concede your point that the KKK is "fringe" ...but the fact that they're rearing their heads up so publicly at all, prolongs and empowers lingering white supremacy. Trump's campaign team isn't foolish--they knew the white/rural vote would push them over the edge and they very intentionally exploited that. Whether or not he himself believes those ideas is mostly irrelevant - the damage is done.

Some of it is an unsurprising "backlash" against the SJW/neo-liberal kind of rhetoric, but that doesn't mean it should be tolerated.
Say an Islamic kid living in North America or Europe decides one day that he hates western society and admires the exploits of various Jihadi figures (in our terminology : Radicalized). Because ISIS is there, he sees an organization full of like-minded people that he can aspire to be a part of. Similarly, ISIS provides reciprocation in the form of extremist propaganda.
If you take away ISIS, the kid no longer has an organization to revere, and there's less fuel to the fire for that school of thought. He's more likely to quietly live his life until those ideas are behind him, and the very mindset itself will gradually disappear from history altogether.

The KKK is the same idea.
harmonic
author=slash
military spending!

Why the hell do we need to increase military spending? We don't need more war-power and I'd rather not just have it sitting around. We don't need to make more nuclear weapons - we have more than will ever be usable. We already spend a ton of money making way too many outdated tanks - so many that higher-ups in the military are even saying it's a waste of our spending and so many that we're buying more storage facilities so the tanks can sit there and do nothing (or occasionally selling them overseas at a loss). We have the world's most powerful, all-encompassing Navy. If we want to change our military strategy, we should be redirecting our current funding from this traditional (outdated) hardware to research new technology, new reconnaissance, etc.

A lot of the reason we're spending money on the military is because it keeps jobs around - military manufacturers don't want to go out of business. I would argue, though, that we'd be better off spending that money on national infrastructure. We could use that money we've been spending on the military to build new roads and bridges, repair our existing highways, repair schools and public buildings, etc. This would not only create or keep a bunch of jobs, but also provide way more immediate and noticeable benefit to our citizens.

It is really a relief to see a focus on something else, I gotta say. And I agree with all this and note that Trump has objectively stated a far less hawkish foreign policy direction than Clinton had in the works. That's one of his biggest selling points for issue-focused people. Less saber-rattling on Russia and Syria. A lot of people are relieved that a working relationship with Russia is now possible.

But yes the military bureaucracy is bloated and cancerous. We can defend ourselves very well with far less money. It needs a total overhaul. We don't need a no-bid license to fund unproven weapons systems like the F35 when we already have a superior, albeit less flexible fighter in the F22. We probably don't need a great deal of land-based weaponry, but based on our current military responsibilities, a pervasive naval air force is still vital. Speak softly, carry big stick.

This is from someone who was vehemently opposed to the 2003 Iraq invasion from the very beginning and highly disappointed that Obama did not curtail the hawkish foreign policy direction of the US. I don't know if Trump will, but we can hope.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=harmonic
But yes the military bureaucracy is bloated and cancerous. We can defend ourselves very well with far less money. It needs a total overhaul.

But...Trump campaigned on more military spending.
pianotm
We spend more on our military than any country in history. I think it was something like, 75 percent of the military equipment we have will never be used, we've spent so much money on it and we have the most powerful army in the world. Trump has promised to spend more on our military and "make sure nobody ever messes with us." This is what foreign countries are going to see. We've been in this continuous, non-stop buildup, and he's going to do it even bigger. Also, this is mainly what's wrong with our system. The money going into the military is money that isn't going into education, healthcare, or infrastructure. Our military is bleeding our economy to death.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=Solitayre
author=harmonic
But yes the military bureaucracy is bloated and cancerous. We can defend ourselves very well with far less money. It needs a total overhaul.
But...Trump campaigned on more military spending.

Yea, this is the point I was after - Trump has promised to increased military spending. I'm definitely worried this will increase the budget, and if we're going to increase the budget, I'd way rather spend it on infrastructure and entitlements that will actually benefit the average US citizen.