PRESIDENT TRUMP

I mentioned it in a post above, Snow. All it takes is one guy doing stupid shit, and the media will incriminate the entire demonstration by his actions alone.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=SnowOwl
On a lighter note, let's discuss the people that whined when Trump hinted that he might not accept the outcome of the election that are now doing exactly what they whined about, except ten times worse. If it's so important to them to accept the outcome of an election, how about they do exactly that themselves? Calling for assassinations and rioting, really?
I find this deeply ironic.

Glad we're actually discussing the topic again.

And yes, it is definitely disappointing to see. It is bold-faced hypocrisy.

I think a lot of it has to do with the popular vote vs electoral college. Not knowing the basic tenets of a Republic (minority is protected from the majority)

The only reason they were condemning Trump for saying "we'll see what happens" is because they thought they had it in the bag. Then they lost, and because they were raised on participation trophies, don't know how to handle it.

To be fair, I think there'd probably be a lot of hard feelings if it had went the other way, and certainly a lot of long-term resistance, but the riots did not happen when Obama took office. (Obama who, by the way, lost the popular vote to Clinton in the Dem primary)
author=SnowOwl
On a lighter note, let's discuss the people that whined when Trump hinted that he might not accept the outcome of the election that are now doing exactly what they whined about, except ten times worse. If it's so important to them to accept the outcome of an election, how about they do exactly that themselves? Calling for assassinations and rioting, really?
I find this deeply ironic.

A lynch mob is different from a protest. Even a chaotic, violent riot isn't as scary as a thoughtless mob hell-bent on punishing the perceived antagonists in an election story who, thanks to campaign rhetoric, are the migrants and minorities.

The calls for assassinations are the byproduct of people generally regarded as being stupid, though. Not only is it extremely counter-productive to the message (optics!!!!), but even it was successful we'd be left with friggin' Mike "I want to electrocute gay people" Pence as president. Trump has no shortage of flaws, but at least he wants to get rid of the banks controlling Washington, which is good. Mike Pence would be "moral majority" Republican business as usual (or probably worse).
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Dyhalto
I mentioned it in a post above, Snow. All it takes is one guy doing stupid shit, and the media will incriminate the entire demonstration by his actions alone.

It's not just the media, it's the people around that person that feel inclined or feel it's safe to do that thing as well because a person next to them did it as well.

I know the media is bogus, the problem is the one fanatic on any side inciting the mayhem because it gets exponentially worse.
Rioters proliferate in mob mentality.
Not that I think protesters in this situation are going to get anything real done anyways, but it doesn't help the image of the "people's voice" because only the loudmouths are getting the attention. Which only hurts the overall goal.
This means peaceful protesters in this case. Because they are just butthurt and trolling at this point and of course ill intentions are going to rise from something that sprang from a pile of shit to begin with.

slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Ha, please. Protestors not accepting the results of the election are a lot different than Trump himself not accepting it, and claiming protestors are "butthurt" is much more than oversimplification, it's just an outright falsehood. You get "butthurt" when you lose a match of League because your dumb teammate fed. That's not the same feeling you have when your future president promises to electrify you or kick you out of the country.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
all people of both sides all think exactly alike is what i'm getting out of this conversation.
InfectionFiles
author=Craze
all people of both sides all think exactly alike is what i'm getting out of this conversation.
Pretty much. If Hilary won and republicans or trump people were doing the same thing I would feel the exact same way about the butthurt.

edit: And I'll be clear for slash, the people that aren't actually affected by the change if it were in either direction. Call it the "hipsters" if you want.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Both sides share people who are irate, people who overreact, people who scream instead of listen, people who make sweeping generalizations, people who will cry when their candidate loses.

But, the clincher is - only one side's politicians have promised to exile people based on their religion, caters to white supremacists, and fights for extremist fundamental Christian law over people's personal freedoms of sexual orientation and their own physical bodies. So, I can empathize a lot more with protesting when it is fighting against those beliefs.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
InfectionFiles
It's not just the media, it's the people around that person that feel inclined or feel it's safe to do that thing as well because a person next to them did it as well.

I know the media is bogus, the problem is the one fanatic on any side inciting the mayhem because it gets exponentially worse.
Rioters proliferate in mob mentality.
Not that I think protesters in this situation are going to get anything real done anyways, but it doesn't help the image of the "people's voice" because only the loudmouths are getting the attention. Which only hurts the overall goal.
This means peaceful protesters in this case. Because they are just butthurt and trolling at this point and of course ill intentions are going to rise from something that sprang from a pile of shit to begin with.

Loudmouths and trouble makers are the only ones that ever do get the attention. That's the nature of protest. The law allows peaceful protest, and that's what most people do. By the logic that protests are pointless because only the troublemakers are heard, you're saying that one of our principle rights is pointless. That's a step away from saying that we shouldn't have that right. They're protesting a man that has promised to use our nuclear arsenal. They're protesting a man that has promised to remove an entire race from this country, regardless of whether or not they're legal citizens, or whether or not they were born here. Don't ask how he'll do that (he can't do it); ask what he'll do in order to accomplish it and don't think for a second that it will only affect that race and religion you have nothing to do with. He's promised to deregulate health insurance. He's promised to get rid of common core in schools (Common core is the requirement that all students learn reading, writing, arithmetic, and history: he's promised to get rid of that). He's promised to strengthen our already obscenely overequipped and oversized army. He's promised to dissolve our peace treaty with Iran.

Congratulations: the madman with nukes and an army at his command isn't the leader of a third world country. He's our president.
The Presidential candidates saying "I pledge to accept the results of the election" is largely just a ceremonial thing. The losers are still able to file disputes, like Florida in 2000. All it means is that you aren't going to say "Fuck all y'all. If I don't get to be President, then nobody gets to be President. I'll organize secession. I'll start a war. I'll...".
The fact that Trump didn't simply say "Yeah yeah, I pledge to accept the results of the election, whatever" should've been more disturbing than the world treated it. The last time someone did this, we had a civil war.
Albeit, this particular guy wasn't the cause of the civil war himself. It was just timing, and a testament to the heated atmosphere of the time.

author=InfectionFiles

I don't know, man. We're not dealing with sports hooliganism running amok as an immediate result of contagious emotion and mob mentality. People who left their house with the intent to protest peacefully will probably stay on track and, if anything, lament and try to stop somebody trying to make them look bad by association.

Out of curiosity, am I alone in thinking "optics" is the wrong word for what we're talking about? x)
harmonic
author=slash
caters to white supremacists

Establishment Republicans have been pro-amnesty and the free movement of people for a long time. It's the whole cheap labor thing.

Trump has outright denounced and disowned David Duke and the KKK. Dude isn't a white supremacist and probably won't cater to them.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=harmonic
author=slash
caters to white supremacists
Establishment Republicans have been pro-amnesty and the free movement of people for a long time. It's the whole cheap labor thing.

Trump has outright denounced and disowned David Duke and the KKK. Dude isn't a white supremacist and probably won't cater to them.

Trump just appointed the owner of Breitbart to his transition team, who has presented at white supremecist rallies. I'd argue that's catering to them.
InfectionFiles
Wanna sum up just the negatives if Hialry won, slash? Because it can go both ways if you look at it. And there's pros for people like myself with Trump. And that's not KKK rallies and drowning gay babies as much as you might wanna paint that picture.

@Dyhalto- I at least think it's entirely possible that even people whose intent wasn't more than protesting can't be swayed in a heart pounding moment.

@piano- I'm not saying we lose our right of free speech or voice but that there are people that obviously abuse that right. Which ruins it for the rest of them.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=InfectionFiles
Wanna sum up just the negatives if Hialry won, slash? Because it can go both ways if you look at it. And there's pros for people like myself with Trump. And that's not KKK rallies and drowning gay babies as much as you might wanna paint that picture.

Hillary is an establishment politician, subservient to banks and big money, who wouldn't fight nearly as hard for fair wages and the poor as I would like. She wouldn't push as hard to reform and regulate the health industry as I would like. That is why I wasn't a fan and why I would demand more of her had she been elected. Her policies would not be as effective as they could be for combating poverty, racism, our failures in healthcare, our failures in education systems, etc.

Trump is a racist. He has promised to deport several million people based on their race or religion. He has appointed a white supremacist to his team. He has appointed someone to his team who thinks we can arrest people based on their accents. His Vice President fought for the right for parents to electrify their children for being gay. His Vice President has fought to restrict the right of gay people throughout his tenure as a career politician.

That's what people are protesting. Yea, we might get lucky and it ends up Trump doesn't get to push half his promoted policies - but he fought for them, his team has historically fought for them, and - if we take him at his word- he wants to enact them. That's why people are afraid. That's a good reason to protest.
harmonic
author=slash
Trump is a racist. He has promised to deport several million people based on their race or religion.

I'm sorry but I just can't let this one go. The message has been that any deportations will be based on your legal status and criminal history, not your race. People who are here on a work visa who don't break the law have nothing to fear. And in regards to religion, there are enough people in this country, myself included, who feel that radical Wahhabism has no place in a peaceful Western democracy. That is a somewhat small, extremely conservative and militant wing of Islam that comprises the majority of ISIS members. We probably wouldn't have allowed enthusiastic members of the Nazi party to emigrate to the US in the 1930's and 40's. Similar situation here.
author=harmonic
I'm sorry but I just can't let this one go.

Is your argument against the idea that Trump wants to deport people based solely on their race/religion or that Trump is a racist?
harmonic
author=Kaempfer
Is your argument against the idea that Trump wants to deport people based solely on their race/religion or that Trump is a racist?

The former. I mean I'm not best buddies with Donald Trump so I don't know about the latter. But in terms of his actions, and his campaign promises, they have indicated that racism is a far-fetched accusation. Boy who cried wolf phenomenon there I think.
InfectionFiles
Don't like Obama? Racist. Like Trump? Racist.

edit: But really, just ignore me. I can't add anything productive to this conversation.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Here's a list of pretty textbook racism on his part: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-racist-examples_us_56d47177e4b03260bf777e83

Also, the KKK is throwing a parade for him. If I thought I wasn't racist but found out the KKK was throwing a parade in my honor, I'd reconsider.

But sure, we're all just imagining things.
harmonic
I mean it's the KKK. Why not put the blame on the KKK for being delusional about this being some sort of white nationalist victory? It's really not. It's not Trump's job to handhold every nutjob who gets it in their head that his election is some sort of mandate for their fringe ideology that, really, has no power and nobody cares about.