PRESIDENT TRUMP

ESBY
extreme disappointment
author=kentona
Does this guy even know what the fuck he's doing?
playing the people who voted him in for fools
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
author=ESBY
author=kentona

^
This

It got him lots of media coverage though, but now he doesn't need that really since he's president so I guess it's just him getting rid of anything he didn't really intend to do?
I came across this video last night and it made me laugh. I hope this is how it really happens when he takes over for Obama.

Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
So far it seems like he wants to use the perch of the presidency to make deals for his businesses. The job of being actually president seems to be something he thought he could do for a few hours on the weekend.
author=Solitayre
So far it seems like he wants to use the perch of the presidency to make deals for his businesses. The job of being actually president seems to be something he thought he could do for a few hours on the weekend.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I read every single one of your posts in Eeyore's voice and I love that. XD

It seems especially on point with the current topic too. I honestly can't believe some of the stuff I've been hearing. His picks for office are mostly maniacs or insiders, actual white supremacists are feeling emboldened to be open assholes, and the guy still has no freakin' idea what he's even doing to actually, you know, do the job of president, nor does he seem to want to.

To quote the man of the hour, "It's a mess"
author=Harmonic
And I agree with all this and note that Trump has objectively stated a far less hawkish foreign policy direction than Clinton had in the works.

He literally threatened to start a war over obscene gestures.

Also, this is from his website;

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/foreign-policy-and-defeating-isis

"Pursue aggressive joint and coalition military operations to crush and destroy ISIS"

It sounds like his policy is exactly the same as Clinton's, except she wasn't bragging/lying that she knew more than her generals on the subject.

I agree that Clinton was more hawkish than liberals tend to be comfortable with, but I certainly see no evidence to think Trump's plan is less hawkish. His "official" policy is more or less the same thing and his public comments have been something akin to Italy in 1936.
Honestly, I'm not so worried about a Trump presidency. He probably won't get anything of significance done, and his proposed appointments to Supreme Court aren't radicals. Trump doesn't know what he's doing - he was just a response to some of the crazy ideas from the left, not a politician at all.

The worst part of all this is that the "alt-right" now seems to be accepted, or becoming mainstream. And those people are not good news.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=EdgeOfChaos
The worst part of all this is that the "alt-right" now seems to be accepted, or becoming mainstream. And those people are not good news.

This is a tad concerning. You've got a battle for the definition of "alt right" happening. There's a spectrum.

On one extreme is civic nationalism and merely providing an alternative voice to the MSM. On the other extreme is pure ethnic fascist nationalism. The latter extreme is, fortunately, tiny and insignificant, but they are making the argument that they are the true "alt right".

Even though compared to most RMN members I am basically the equivalent of Joseph Goebbels, but within the alt right, I am as left as they come. Civic nationalist, my kids will be half-asian and that pisses a lot of them off due to race mixing.

Believe me when I tell you that the civic nationalists (which is what Trump is) are far more numerous, significant, and influential. The KKK wing of the alt right have the same level of street cred as the Westboro Baptist Church at this point and they're not going to get anywhere. I actually suspect most of them are just meme-magic /pol/ trolls and/or angsty shitposting dweebs who will look at my smokin' hot Asian wife and slam me for race-mixing, meanwhile they are probably 45 year old virgins.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=ESBY
author=kentona

Secretary of Education that wants to privatize education and get rid of public schooling.
EPA director that wants to shift EPA entirely to the private sector.
Advisor that's an oil billionaire who wants Keystone XL back on the table and wants the Standing Rock protestors gone. (Never mind the fact that Trump has shares of stock in the firm running Keystone XL, and in Phillips 66.)
White Supremacist and head of Breitbart on the cabinet trying to legitimize the EXTREME alt-right.

I'd say Trump knows exactly what he's doing.
"President-elect Donald Trump proposed on Tuesday a penalty -- including possible jail time or loss of citizenship -- for burning the American flag, in spite of two US Supreme Court rulings that protect the act under the First Amendment"

maybe this means that the 2nd amendment is off the table, too?
Don't worry, once Trump is done the constitution will only be made up of three statements:
- America fuck yeah!
- Guns for everybody! (paperbag test may be required)
- States rights! lol everybody knows the only respectable level of government is the highest one the GOP currently controls
Solitayre
He has also claimed, with zero evidence, that millions of illegals voted for Clinton. He has reportedly spurned his national security briefings so he can embrace conspiracy theories.

Yeah America sure did pick a responsible level-headed executive.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
>He has reportedly spurned his national security briefings so he can embrace conspiracy theories.

Where did you read about this?
I'm predicting that Trump is going to become something of an absentee President.
The demands of the job are going to overwhelm his limited intellectual capability, and he's either going to focus his efforts into self aggrandisement to stem his inevitable feelings of inadequacy, or retreat from the limelight completely. Meanwhile, the cabinet will run the country.
It'll kind of be like Bush Jr all over again, except that where Bush was a puppet who did what he was told, Trump has enough ego to tell his cohorts "Nobody tells Trump what Trump can and can't do."
Solitayre
On the contrary, Trump has a habit of adopting the positions and opinions of whoever the last person he talked to was.

A few hours after talking to Obama, Trump decided maybe parts of Obamacare weren't so bad.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
The ghost writer for Trump's autobiography said that Trump had a maximum attention span of 15 minutes. He would try to interview Trump for the book but within fifteen minutes, he would literally forget what they were even meeting about. The guy had to set up covert surveillance on Trump and spy on him just to get the material he needed to write the book. If Trump hadn't become president, the guy wouldn't have a problem with this, but now, he regrets writing the book because he's afraid it influenced the vote.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Speaking of biographies, Ivanka Trump's book "The Trump Card" which came out a few years ago really just spells out the trump Family Ethos. Here's a nice writeup about it:

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/ivanka-trumps-terrible-book-helps-explain-the-trump-family-ethos?mbid=social_facebook

and some quotes

When Ivanka was a kid, she got frustrated because she couldn’t set up a lemonade stand in Trump Tower. “We had no such advantages,” she writes, meaning, in this case, an ordinary home on an ordinary street. She and her brothers finally tried to sell lemonade at their summer place in Connecticut, but their neighborhood was so ritzy that there was no foot traffic. “As good fortune would have it, we had a bodyguard that summer,” she writes. They persuaded their bodyguard to buy lemonade, and then their driver, and then the maids, who “dug deep for their spare change.” The lesson, she says, is that the kids “made the best of a bad situation.”

She offers a story about being forced, by her mother, to fly coach to the south of France as the moment she realized she needed to make her own money.

also, this isn't part of the article but a nice comment I saw, and thought I'd share:

I always find it fascinating when a rich or successful person writes about their life and struggles.

Most times they frame it as an motivational or inspirational piece to all of us trying to make it, because if they made it then we can too. The problem is they always have to kind of imagine the things that a 'lower' person would have to struggle with, and their interpretations are hilarious. The lemonade stand story from Ivanka is a great example of this, because it is so stereotypical and unnecessary to her actual life experience. Still, she presents it as something she needed to explain her position in life.

In his take-down of Tracy Austin's mostly-ghostwritten autobiography, David Foster Wallace nails the cliches that writers use to validate themselves and explain their successes. It's easy to replace "sports star" with "successful businessman" for Ivanka in passage like:

"...there is also here an odd loyalty to and penchant for the very cliches with which we sports fans weave the veil of myth and mystery that these sports memoirs promise to part for us. It's almost as if Tracy Austin has structured her own sense of her life and career to accord with the formulas of the generic sports bio. We've got the sensitive and doting mother, the kindly dad, the mischievous siblings who treat famous Tracy like just another kid. We've got the ingenue heroine whose innocence is eroded by experience and transcended through sheer grit; we've got the gruff but tender-hearted coach and the coolly skeptical veterans who finally accept the heroine. We've got the wicked, backstabbing rival (in Pam Schriver, who receives the book's only unfulsome mention). We even get the myth-requisite humble roots. Austin, whose father is a corporate scientist and whose mother is one of those lean tan ladies who seem to spend all day every day at the country club tennis courts, tries to portray her childhood in Posh Rolling Hill Estates CA as impoverished: "We had to be frugal in all kinds of ways... we cut expenses by drinking powdered milk... we didn't have bacon except on Christmas." Stuff like this seems way out of touch with reality until we realize that the kind of reality the author's chosen to be in touch with here is not just un- but anti-real."
Solitayre
Two major foreign policy fuck-ups in two days and he's not even sworn in yet.

Everything fine, situation normal. We have elected a sober, responsible executive who is not painfully ignorant about all things.

Also,. his 'deal' to save American jobs at Carrier was so bad even Sarah Palin thinks it was stupid and he 'saved' less than half the jobs. I'm glad people can keep working but from what I've seen even the workers themselves are still skeptical.