HOW ARE WE DOING? A SURVEY TO HELP US IMPROVE RMN

Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Deckiller
ideally, our forums should be used for skill building, gammak theory, and so forth. not as a time waster. but I'm guilty of wasting a shit ton of time too so I don't wanna sound hypocritical.

I agree strongly with this; I'd personally want to see General Discussion and Welp excised (and probably add a subforum solely for forum games AND NOTHING ELSE) and force people to move all that discussion to social media where it belongs can be quarantined. There's no compelling reason for a hobby community to discuss non-hobby stuff, particularly when there's controversy involved. It's like going to the swimming pool to play football: that's just not the appropriate place for it.

But then, I understand that part of the appeal of this place for a lot of users is the casual atmosphere, and the off-topic stuff IS mostly confined to its own areas, so I'm not really gonna make a Thing of it, beyond occasionally bitching in relevant threads.

Also I am 100% for having statuses that have nothing to do with anything, which might make me a hypocrite, but IDGAF.

author=Mirak
Hey i just joined this forum a year ago and i would like to know if this one is going to do the same as all the others and get erased from existence before i even get to know people here, because so far it's creepy how similar the situation is with said defunct sites.

I feel like RMN has been around long enough that it's likely to keep going from intertia if nothing else. If you're worried about a lack of posting, maybe make a few topics for discussion of actual game stuff or something. Or make dumb posts in statuses. Whatevs. v:Vv
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=Sooz
But then, I understand that part of the appeal of this place for a lot of users is the casual atmosphere

Exactly. Many of us are in the forums 80% of the time, sometimes doing some gamedev and events inbetween. This has been the case for years, and as such notions of deleting the forums in anything but a joke is highly offputting to me.

RMN is, and should remain, open to any and all people who dabble in indie gamedev. That includes those who only do it very sporadically and would rather just play forum games in welp most of the time.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=Jeroen_Sol
author=Sooz
But then, I understand that part of the appeal of this place for a lot of users is the casual atmosphere
Exactly. Many of us are in the forums 80% of the time, sometimes doing some gamedev and events inbetween. This has been the case for years, and as such notions of deleting the forums in anything but a joke is highly offputting to me.

RMN is, and should remain, open to any and all people who dabble in indie gamedev. That includes those who only do it very sporadically and would rather just play forum games in welp most of the time.

I mean this seriously and not to be taken as an attack but: why should RMN provide that? How does yours and others ability to do things besides gamedev fit into the site's goals? One thing cannot be everything.
I'd assume part of RMN's goal is to actually have people on the website.

For many people, the forums is one of the major reasons they stay around. If you delete the forums you're deleting a large piece of the community because they'll probably just leave. Or just forget about RMN alogether because they visit so little.

As a side note, participation in the forums is advertising for your games to the other people on the website. You're more likely to get traffic on your game if people know you exist (and even more likely if people think you're a cool person).
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Why should RMN provide that? Simple. Because it has in the past. For years. For longer than many of my friends on this website have been members of RMN. The forums have become an integral part of RMN, whether it fits in with RMN's original goals or not. That isn't something that can simply be dismissed. The forums are part of what defines RMN, just like the gamepages. Just like the blogs. Just like the reviews. Just like the scripts.

I'm sorry if I come across as offended. It's because I am. I'm trying to remain as civil as I can, but I'm a little apalled. The notion of deleting the forums to me is saying me and my friends are not welcome here. I've seen it said as a joke countless times in the past, and rolled my eyes at it all the time, but now people are seriously debating it. Needless to say that after being a member for over 6 years, that doesn't sit well with me.

I guess my main point is that I think it's not useful to think of RMN in terms of its goals. RMN is more than a website. It's a community. A community isn't defined by its goals. It's defined by its members. And the forums are important to many members.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=WIP
author=Jeroen_Sol
author=Sooz

I mean this seriously and not to be taken as an attack but: why should RMN provide that? How does yours and others ability to do things besides gamedev fit into the site's goals? One thing cannot be everything.

Just to make sure: Are you asking about the necessity of the Community forums? Or the entire forums?

Either way, I think they are necessary additions for developers in varying degrees of obviousness. There were (and still are) plenty of people with absolutely no interest in making games themselves that are just as vital to the development process. Testers, reviewers, let's players, and even casual players all contribute by providing feedback for games in various ways. Removing even the casual forums would be a huge block for those types of people, which in turn would mean less feedback for developers, which I think goes directly against RMN's goal.

Obviously I'm not saying that forums are for players only and not devs, but that reason alone makes them worth keeping, in my opinion.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I wasn't suggesting deleting the forums. I wanted to know why you felt that what used to be a game development social platform is obligated to have non-development forums.

Tradition doesn't hold a lot of sway to me. And I want to point out that what "defines" RMN has changed a lot. It launched with a large forum, small game area. Then it went to a smaller forum and huge game area. Point being that what are "traditions" can easily fade or new ones spring up. It used to be a tradition to make a new topic in the forum for your game.

Don't assume the balance between site and forum is a new discussion. I've been having it since I built the place 11 years ago.

EDIT: Red, doesn't that feedback belong in the gamepages, though? Reviews, blogs, images, comments, and all that stuff is on the gamepage. What purpose does the forum serve for that?
Jeroen_Sol
Yes, WIP, we all know you built the website.

I edited in my main argument later, so you may have missed it, but I see RMN not just as a website, but as a community. You speak of "the goal of RMN", but communities are defined by their members, not their goals. So I reject your idea that everything on RMN needs to work towards some predetermined goal. The non-development forums exist and should exist because many members want them to and spend a lot of time there. That's all that matters.
author=Red_Nova
Either way, I think they are necessary additions for developers in varying degrees of obviousness. There were (and still are) plenty of people with absolutely no interest in making games themselves that are just as vital to the development process. Testers, reviewers, let's players, and even casual players all contribute by providing feedback for games in various ways. Removing even the casual forums would be a huge block for those types of people, which in turn would mean less feedback for developers, which I think goes directly against RMN's goal.

Obviously I'm not saying that forums are for players only and not devs, but that reason alone makes them worth keeping, in my opinion.

Thing is, if you were to remove the forums, it doesn't mean that kind of activity needs to stop. It would simply move to a better place, on the gamepage. Testers and reviewers and let's players don't NEED the forums to communicate with the devs. The gamepages are designed to cover all that. At the bottom of every game page...is a forum thread! The forums migrated a good portion of that discussion from the gamepages to the forums, which means less page views and activity on the gamepages. People spend their time browsing the forums instead of browsing the gamepages.

If someone wants a tester/review/LP, they can post a blog. Then those people looking for "work" can browse the blog area to find out the pulse of the community. Instead of browsing the forums, which is a shit show most of the time. You have to weed out all the bullshit and nonsense to find actual game content. Right now if a person made a blog asking for help, it would likely not get as much attention as posting in a forum topic asking for the same thing. That is because the active members are used to finding that kind thing in the forums.

As far as advertising and getting yourself known, it's no different for someone to find your gamepage as opposed to finding your post or topic among the many that are there. With gamepages, a person can search for specific things that interest them. They can search by engine or genre and get an instant visual idea of what the game is.

On the forums you might post in the screenshot thread and for a short period of time maybe 10+ people will see it, then it's lost into the obsurity of xxx amount of pages in the screenshot thread. Nobody is going to see my screenshot thread post from a year ago and find my game. But those same people would have a significantly higher chance of coming across my gamepage I submitted a year ago, followed up with seeing all the content I've ever posted to the site which is in the gamepage. Not scattered across the galaxy that is the forums.

The site is actually designed around the idea of gamepages. You can subscribe and get notices for all activity on the gamepages. You can fully customize it and have different areas for different kinds of content. That was the core design of RMN. The forums dilute that to a degree and additions have been made to the forums to make them act more like gamepages, in that you can subscribe and get notices for them too. And now we've got statuses, which have 0 use other than saying pointless crap, further diluting the gamepage activity.

And Corf is off his rocker. It's interesting how he's the only person(or at least one of the few) complaining and he's one of the few active members to have been banned. He's the Trump of RMN, in that he sees bias and issues everywhere when they don't really exist. "The misaos are rigged". Next thing he'll be suggesting we build a wall along the gamepage/forum border and get users to donate to pay for it.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Yeah, direct feedback for a game should be on the gamepages. However, I think if RMN was about developing and feedback and nothing else, non-devs would feel less welcome, which would cascade into less activity across the site as a whole.

I think RMN's strength lies in its gamepages, and I want to bring more activity to them. However, removing the forums feels like trying to kill a cockroach with a carpet bombing. Sure, you'll kill the cockroach, but you'll need to relocate afterwards.

Latest blogs show up on the forums, giving a potential draw to a new game some people may not have known about otherwise. Screenshot threads do the same thing, just with more eye candy. Comments show up in the latest posts. These are all useful avenues that help bring exposure to games. I know I've been exposed to certain games from these previous methods that I doubt I would ever have known about otherwise.

While people are relaxing and hanging out on the casual forums, they can see all this activity on gamepages and potentially be drawn new games and eventually deliver this useful feedback.
Jeroen_Sol
author=Link_2112
People spend their time browsing the forums instead of browsing the gamepages.

This is the same kind of argument that's used to say the LPs hurt game sales, and is just as false. People that go to the forums go there for the forums. If they wanted to go to the gamepages, they'd be going to the gamepages. If the forums weren't there, people wouldn't go to the gamepages more. They'd just go to RMN less.
Red_Nova
Here's the problem: marketing yourself is not a "one and done" thing. You have to keep it up for as long as you're advertising yourself. Sure, no one's gonna go back through hundreds of pages to see some post in the screenshot thread. Sure, you can post a blog asking for testers. But you can't stop just because you've done it once. Otherwise Twitter accounts would only have one single tweet in their lifetimes, only one blog would ever exist per game, RMN would only have one social media account...

...See where I'm coming from? These are all outlets to draw people to you, and they are used regularly. The forums are, in addition to being a place for non-devs to hang out, one extra branch for advertising yourself.
WIP
Ah, I didn't see it. Sorry about that.

If RMN has no goal or purpose, why is there anything here? What brought anyone here? What did RMN do that was so unique to get someone to register? People aren't just randomly popping up and posting.

There's something that is bringing people here. According to the stats, it isn't the forum. But the community is also not the forum. Never has been. Equating the forum to the community is offensive to the rest of the site (and the bandwidth it is using).

The rationale of "it exists because a certain number of people want it to exist" is not good enough and isn't all that matters. Nothing works that way; especially when trying to run a community. RMN already has severe social problems with having everything scattered to the winds to serve small subsets. There's an IRC, Slack, Discord, Twitter, forum, user statuses, page comments, and so on. It's frankly a mess that has only gotten worse. Don't tell me people who know nothing about their peers makes for a better community.

author=Red_Nova
Latest blogs show up on the forums, giving a potential draw to a new game some people may not have known about otherwise. Screenshot threads do the same thing, just with more eye candy. Comments show up in the latest posts. These are all useful avenues that help bring exposure to games. I know I've been exposed to certain games from these previous methods that I doubt I would ever have known about otherwise.

While people are relaxing and hanging out on the casual forums, they can see all this activity on gamepages and potentially be drawn new games and eventually deliver this useful feedback.
The fact latest blogs show up on the forums is a huge god damn indicator something is wrong, not right. Same with the screenshot topic. These are implementations actively hurting the cohesion of the site.
Jeroen_Sol
Let me rephrase that. I'm not saying RMN doesn't or shouldn't have a goal. Of course it does. I'm saying that not everything that exists on RMN needs to work towards said goal. Likewise, I'm not equating the forum to the community, I'm saying the forum exists for the community, just like the gamepages and rest of the website do.

Let's just agree to disagree on the rationale of "it exists because a certain number of people want it to exist." Though I will say we are a creative community, and having things exist just because we want them to is kind of our thing. But that's enough about that.

I probably shouldn't have posted in this thread to begin with. I feel like I've derailed it even further than it already was. I just got really flustered at people talking so seriously about getting rid of something that has been such a large part of my internet identity for so many years. My apologies.
WIP
I won't accept your apology, because you didn't do anything to apologize for. I think this discussion is absolutely pertinent to the topic! How can a person know how to do a better job if there isn't an understanding of expectation?

I do want to say: the forum is a crucial piece of the community. I didn't mean for it to come off like I was opposed to it. I've spent a lot of my life posting in forums and I'm not alone. RMN definitely wouldn't be anything like what it is without a forum.

If you feel like you derailed the topic, we can discuss it further in PM. Not that it matters what I have to say these days, but it could make for a good conversation.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=WIP
If RMN has no goal or purpose, why is there anything here? What brought anyone here? What did RMN do that was so unique to get someone to register? People aren't just randomly popping up and posting.

Truth be told, I came back after my ban to put my stuff back up. That's it. Had I not DFE, I wouldn't have come back until something substantial was done on one of my games, which has yet to happen. Nobody here really resonates with me to the point that I feel the need to stay, and "what are you thinking about" is becoming slow to the point of feeling dead. It exists as fuel for the DramaCore Engine, just as that same spam thread entity existed for the other community I brought up. If anything, it was only Mystic Dawn that needed a home here, and that's because it makes use of commercial music (illegal) and uses some naughty language in a section of the game that might not meet the PG-13 requirement of the rpgmakerweb forums.

RMN makes for a good dumping ground.

That's why I didn't cave when McBacon came in and started acting like he could push people around, and that's why I sleep easy at night, because I know my most vulgar stuff has a rotten outlet to plug it in at. Now that that's done, who cares? I've died once - I know what it's like - and its fear no longer rules over me. And what came of this exchange? "If anyone else (note the excluding tone) wants to contact me, go ahead, but I'm done." What sort of precedence does that set for the rest of the community when your manager chooses not to engage?

Once CoT is finished and released and gets its critical reception and once it's clear that no one else might need my brand of help, this place is only getting updates on what I'm doing. I'm selling my main product so not even that's going to be released here.

Or we could make this place a place of glory again. A place where people compete for makerscore to take advantage of the prestige and locker space (the only real thing that sets this place apart). Or we could leave this place to rot by letting bitter snipes like these go unaddressed.

author=Link_2112
And Corf is off his rocker. It's interesting how he's the only person(or at least one of the few) complaining and he's one of the few active members to have been banned. He's the Trump of RMN, in that he sees bias and issues everywhere when they don't really exist. "The misaos are rigged". Next thing he'll be suggesting we build a wall along the gamepage/forum border and get users to donate to pay for it.
Not even a quote, just coming in to spout off about some other guy. How welcome do you feel? I was the first person to even give him the time of day, and look where that's gotten me.

Either way, you're getting the community you want out of this.

EDIT: Just thought of this. Is it sad that I can't remember the last time I got an actual comment on one of my gamepages? "Looking forward to it." sounds mythical. Is it hard to see why the forums seem so appealing? Maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic because I'm watching Chrono Trigger on ContinueQuest and it reminds me of all the old RM2k3 games that used to be the talk of the town.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Jeroen_Sol
I just got really flustered at people talking so seriously about getting rid of something that has been such a large part of my internet identity for so many years. My apologies.

P. sure it was just two people- neither of whom has ANY power over the site- casually spitballing about it, mang. Deep breaths.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Corfaisus
Not even a quote, just coming in to spout off about some other guy. How welcome do you feel? I was the first person to even give him the time of day, and look where that's gotten me.

EDIT: Just thought of this. Is it sad that I can't remember the last time I got an actual comment on one of my gamepages?

i mean your post on link's game was complaining about yourself

WIP
Don't assume the balance between site and forum is a new discussion. I've been having it since I built the place 11 years ago.

it really has. i've seen it go from like 14 to 3 forums, up gradually to what we have now (too many)

WIP
EDIT: Red, doesn't that feedback belong in the gamepages, though? Reviews, blogs, images, comments, and all that stuff is on the gamepage. What purpose does the forum serve for that?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

we have cool tools that i like to use (seeing blogs in the gd&d forum) and tools that ... are they even used at all? (like tagging a screenshot as looking for feedback).

i would love a smaller forum and more of a focus on game profiles and user statuses. i feel like i've been having and reading a lot of cool insights via statuses over the past 6 months!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Craze
i mean your post on link's game was complaining about yourself

Sure, if that's how you choose to read it.
Sooz
Statuses are the best pointless social feature: they don't overstay their welcome, and people basically forget about them after a few days. If you want to keep arguing in one past a few days, you have to actively seek it out.

Also the title riffs are fun. A+