Bangers and Smash (10 Hours)
2%
10 Hour Themed Gammak
7%
10 Day Themed Gammak
12%

Pages: first prev 12345 last
You guys are acting like pussies.
I started ripping the graphics I'll need from scratch two days ago, and I have to deal with palette limitations. If you're using any of the post-2k/3 engines, all you need to do is grab already existing graphics, 2x their size in MS Paint, and realign them to fit your maker's format.
This is basic shit we all used to do in the 00s, and we had to do it uphill both ways in the snow.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Actually, if you guys don't feel like actually making or seeking graphics, or making an rpg, or don't actually have the skills to produce graphics or sound or ANYTHING retro, let me introduce you to Twine.

Twine is an engine for easily and effortlessly making interactive text adventures. You can't go more retro than making a Text adventure can you?

You can make an awesome game like this one or this one. People will be able to play your game on their browsers without having to download any rtp's or anything of the sort, and the software is powerful enough for allowing the embedding of almost anything html related. You can embed music, pictures, a youtube video or a flash movie, even your twitter and soundcloud embeds work.

There you go, an option for the artistically challenged.

HERE is a step by step tutorial for how to use twine 1.4.2 which is the better version of twine.
http://www.auntiepixelante.com/twine/
author=Mirak
Then make a retro game using modern graphics. All you have to do is follow the building structure of rpg's from the NES era, not necessarily USE NES style graphics.

You know, 1-tile high walls, no separate maps for house interiors, no ceilings on houses, etc.

Unless you're making another kind of retro game that is not an rpg, which is a thing that you can totally do as well.

Oh! Now I get it what you meant with making it retro without using the retro graphics!

author=Mirak
Actually, if you guys don't feel like actually making or seeking graphics, or making an rpg, or don't actually have the skills to produce graphics or sound or ANYTHING retro, let me introduce you to Twine.

Twine is an engine for easily and effortlessly making interactive text adventures. You can't go more retro than making a Text adventure can you?

You can make an awesome game like this one or this one. People will be able to play your game on their browsers without having to download any rtp's or anything of the sort, and the software is powerful enough for allowing the embedding of almost anything html related. You can embed music, pictures, a youtube video or a flash movie, even your twitter and soundcloud embeds work.

There you go, an option for the artistically challenged.

HERE is a step by step tutorial for how to use twine 1.4.2 which is the better version of twine.
http://www.auntiepixelante.com/twine/

Thanks for your help, Mirak! I will go take a look at that! :)
author=Mirak
let me introduce you to Twine.

Oooh! I just realized you could make something along the lines of those old Fighting Fantasy books. All your player would need are two dice (with the pen and paper being replaced by Notepad).

author=Make_it_MagiK
author=ESBY
but we all have experience in making escape the room games?
Ehhh... No? I don't have it neither. The thing is that it's easier, that's all. I don't think mapping one room and make some puzzles to escape is that difficult, don't you think?

....make a retro escape the room game! which par of the retro theme makes it sound like you need to have more than one map and a few puzzles?
plus, I want to make RPGs. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to make an escape the room RPG somehow, but I wanna make RPGs. I don't wanna make 1 room puzzle games lol
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
author=Dyhalto
Oooh! I just realized you could make something along the lines of those old Fighting Fantasy books. All your player would need are two dice (with the pen and paper being replaced by Notepad).
Actually there are ways to implement a dice system in twine!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
yeah, i think that "retro feel without being retro" is a more cerebral challenge than "ff1 in 10 days". if i wnated to make ff1 (i kinda do someday) i'd want to actually put some effort in.

then again all i make is dumb gothic battle arenas so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I would play Craze and Karsumans' Excellent D&D Adventure
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Seriously, people, I already know what I'm going to do for retro. I just wanted to do Bangers and Smash instead. It ain't no thing! You don't even have to use old graphics! You don't even have to go as far back as the 80s for retro! Shit! I'm going mid-90s era RPG!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
If you're not designing for oscilloscope graphics, you're a scrub.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Sooz
If you're not designing for oscilloscope graphics, you're a scrub.

Do you even know anybody who's played a game on an oscilloscope?
this is awesome [youtube]https://youtu.be/aMli33ornEU[/youtube]
author=Dyhalto

That's not a bad idea although I think I will make a rpg game. That's more fun to do :)
Still, thank you for your comment

author=JosephSeraph
....make a retro escape the room game! which par of the retro theme makes it sound like you need to have more than one map and a few puzzles?

Yes, you're right. Like Mirak already said i can still make an "escape the room" game but in retro style. I think i will try to make it. Let's see how it comes out ;)
Thank you to you too
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Huh. FRUA has no way to make games that doesn't require FRUA to run. I probably should have seen that one coming!

Darigaaz, why did I even bother?
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Thanks to all these comments I've gained a broader understanding of what can be considered retro which in turns ups my motivation for taking part in this event.

I think I'm pretty sure now that I will take part in this event.

Thanks for all the conversation youg guys made! >.<)b
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Yeah, thanks for all the convo. It's gonna be a bit of a challenge for me to make a retro styled game but I'm gonna try.
Don't thank us. Thank the inanimate carbon rod.
I'm just gonna use Ratty's black and white graphics set. It looks damn good.

The problem is that I'm not sure how I'm going to make the GAMEPLAY retro. I like my combat systems complex and layered.

...Or I could just make something in Twine. Maybe I will. If I only have 10 days, not having to design deep combat gameplay would be a godsend.
Pages: first prev 12345 last