WHAT ARE YOUR LONG-TERM PLANS AS A GAME DEVELOPER?

Pages: first 12 next last
Is this something you do simply as a hobby without further intention? Or are you hoping to actually break into the professional video game industry?

One of my dreams is to somehow raise enough money, or receive funding from somewhere, to hire my own little team and create my own commercial RPG. This is something I'd like to accomplish before I kick the bucket.

How about you?
unity
You're magical to me.
Honestly, if I could spend my life making games at a purely hobbyist level and still afford everything I needed, I'd probably just keep doing that and be happy.

But as projects I have in mind for the future are getting bigger and more complex, my mind keeps drifting towards the idea of going commercial, if not just for the money, for the extra exposure it might bring to my games (hopefully).

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure what I want to do or what's the right way to proceed, so I'm just going to keep working on my current projects for now, but seeing things like Ara Fell and (eventually) Hero's Realm going commercial, not to mention Tuomo_L's apparent success, really does make me think about it.
toil in agony forever

But actually I'd like to keep it a hobby, and just slowly work through my massive stockpile of ideas at my own pace. Since most of what I want to do is concise action games, it's a bit more reasonable for me than if I were wanting to do RPGs.
Ideally I'd like to make enough from it that I at least wouldn't have to work a day job full-time, but with the way the market is even that might be a pipe dream. Whether I'm referring to the game market or the job market I'll leave to your imagination.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
To be honest, I'm not sure exactly when it was that I started thinking it, but, the idea that I have no more games I want to make has come to mind. The thought goes back at least to Nakaishi Wars, but, it might go back further than that. Possibly around the time when I thought about cancelling Konae's Investigations? I dunno.

What I can say is that I've never considered going commercial, and I don't think that's going to change any time soon.
My plans have always been to go into game development as a career, but starting my own independent game company from the ground up. That's why I'm pursuing computer science and game development courses in college.

Though, I have to finish Scarlet Twilight to show that I can make a game and stick to it to its completion. And I'm not gonna lie, despite the obstacles and setbacks I've faced with its development, there is no sign of me dropping the project entirely.

For now, game-making is a hobby for me, but I intend to change it to a career in the future.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Going commercial is probably my ultimate goal regarding video games. I want to see for myself how difficult it is to sell an avarage game. I can't imagine being too serious about it, tho. t
I like Sgt. Mettool's approach to commercial.

And I guess that you can't call it a goal of a developer. I is the producer in me.

My gammak goal is to create a game, which matters and goes beyond what you associate with games. It could be a well-designed metroidvania, an emotional walking simulator or anything else. In general I adore games, which are able to avoid violence and tell stories about ordinary people.
In other words, my dream is to make a game for millenials.
I feel like I've been working up to my "big one", and I'm hoping Crescent Eve will be it.

Even though I've already stepped into commercial territory, I don't think my main goal in gamedev is to do it for a living. Working on a project with the intent of "Yes, I will absolutely sell this for money" makes it a lot less fun and enjoyable for me; I didn't even think of going commercial with Soma Spirits until after the game was done and people recommended making a commercial version.

I honestly think my big motivator is making something people will remember me for. But more important, making something that makes my friends and complete strangers alike happy. I just want people to smile when they play something I make.
I want to complete a game, hopefully a few. Commercial success doesn't factor into it at all; I just want to make weird games about psychology & female anti-heroes.

harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
2.5D metroidvania RPG style adventure game like Smash Bros Brawl's adventure mode
I'll feel tremendous lucky if I finish even one game. It's at least half done, but it seems I just can't anymore. Things got in the way and now I haven't been able to even start working on it. After all it won't be done anytime soon so why bother starting work on it today? But maybe I just need to get back in the swing of it. I haven't touched it in a month, but once I break the ice..

My long term.. I had like five game ideas. No, six.
- WW1
- Banana Quest
- Aladdin
- pony
- space marines
- Pokemon

I cancelled most of them, thankfully, easier to cope with cancelling a game as opposed to failing to finish them. I think I'll learn from my mistakes, for instance I'm considering making it so my second game that doesn't have maps at all. Hate maps.

If I ever finish them all, I might be taking a permanent vacation from game making. :p
I want to become good enough that I can sell and profit off a game to the point where I can pay bills without working two jobs.

I don't need to become super famous, I just want to sell enough to where I can quit my second job, and have a steady income (game sells, patreom, etc).
I definitely want to go commercial with my future games. Actually not only cause of the money, but cause people seem to pay commercial games way more attention. Free games seem to have litterally no worth.
Except RM games which have some kind of special state somehow...
But since I want to go more with Unity and UE4... there is no way to put out free games that will be played by more than a handful of people...
And yes, of course I make games cause the process is fun. But I don't want to spend months and sometimes years to make a project, that in the end no one ever plays. ;P

It would be, of course, a huge bonus if I could make a living from it somedays... or even just some pocket money. :D
I want to be able to make enough income off of game sales to subsist off of in the short term. In the long term, I'd like to be able to hire a few people and start a small indie studio. I'd also like to move away from RPG Maker after I finish Jimmy so I can make games with less restrictions. More time doing what I love, more ability to do it better and better.
Like most other people have said, I'd like to be able to work a day job pretty minimally (or ideally, not at all XD) - nothing lavish, but just enough income to work on my projects full-time, and be able to start up a small LLC to fund the artists or other staff who might contribute to them.

In the short term, my only goal is to finish BR as a freeware project.

If it gains enough popularity and positive response, two of the majors options are: convert it into a bigger, commercial project a la Ara Fell, or (more likely) work on a smaller, spinoff game, or something entirely new that's commercialized from the very beginning of development.

RPGs obviously are a huge time/life investment to develop, so I've had to swallow the fact that any financial return I may get is probably years away. XD
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Mak gam. Mak mor gam. Sel gam. Ppl lik gam. Yay.
I actually studied to be a programmer. I've got a bachlor's degree and everything now. And then I got hired as a game writer at an indie studio (Contract's juuust about to end this week actually), and I'm looking for new work in the field already.

So...I guess I've kinda decided what my long-term plans are? I'll keep working in the indie space either as a writer or programmer however much that's possible.

I have no plans to make my RPGmaker games commercial (at most I'd set it up as "donate if you want"), as to me...RPGmaker is what I use when I just want to create something, without having to mess around with code or coordinate with team members about adding even more explicit quest log entries because a tester got lost in an open world game.

My RPGs will always be a hobby, something I really enjoy doing, but I don't intend to make them into a business.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Well, I have a lot of fun making games and I would love to one day make at least a decent amount of money on out of it to do something I always wanted. Like buying my very first PC, or maybe being able to self finance my studies. Should I ever make enough money to hire a small team and make some bigger games, I would probably take that path. Eitherway, I will probably keep making games regardless of financial success or job I have, because I just love doing so.
At the moment, I want to try to open a small company to develop and localize video games in my country. But it might also include making, importing and exporting merchandises, publishing video games abroad and helping third-party indie developers to make their games go further (something like a sponsor maybe).
Make enough money to be able to move into 3D development.
StevieRayBones
I refuse to grind with monsters I've just met for money.
Just keep myself busy so I don't drink
Pages: first 12 next last