[MAFIA] THE RESISTANCE: AVALON MAFIA - GAME ON

Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
The Resistance: Avalon Mafia

This is a semi-open setup mafia game, intended for 9 - 16 players. The game is based on the card game "Resistance: Avalon", and thus experimental. It relies more heavily on day interaction than most games. There are no night actions apart from the scum kill.

What is Mafia?
Wikipedia
Mafia (Russian: Ма́фия, also known as Werewolf) is a party game created in the USSR by Dimitry Davidoff in 1986, modelling a battle between an informed minority (the mafia) and an uninformed majority (the townspeople). Players are secretly assigned roles: either mafia, who know each other; or townspeople, who know only the number of mafia amongst them. In the game's night phase the mafia covertly "murder" a townsperson. During the day phase, all of the surviving players debate the identities of the mafia and vote to eliminate a suspect. Play continues until all of the mafia have been eliminated, or until the mafia outnumber the townspeople. A typical game starts with seven townspeople and two mafiosi.

What is The Resistance?
Wikipedia
The Resistance is a social role-playing card-based party game. The game's premise involves a war between government and resistance groups, and players are assigned various roles related to these groups. Like other deductive reasoning party games, The Resistance relies on certain players attempting to disrupt the larger group working together, while the rest of the players work to reveal the spy working against them.
[...]
During each round of the game, the player to the left of the previous Leader becomes the new Leader. The Leader selects a certain number of players to send out on a mission (the Leader may choose to go out on the mission themselves), starting with Mission 1. [...] All of the players then discuss the Leader's choice and, simultaneous and in public, vote on whether to accept the team make-up or not. If a majority of players votes no to the proposal or if it is a tie, leadership passes on to the next player to the left, who proposes his own mission. This continues until a majority of players agrees with the current Leader's mission assignment. After five rejected mission proposals in a row, the Spies automatically win the game.
[...]
Once a mission team is agreed on, the players then "go" on the mission. To "go" on a mission, players on the mission are given a set of Mission Cards, one for indicating Success, the other indicating Fail. The Resistance must turn in, face down, a Mission Success card, while the spies may either secretly turn in a Mission Success or Mission Fail card. The cards are shuffled and then revealed. If all cards show Success, the Resistance earns one point. If even one card shows Fail, the spies have sabotaged the mission and earn one point.
[...]
The game continues until one team accumulates 3 points.

Standard Roles and Rules:
Before the game begins, each player is sent a PM assigning him or her a role. The contents of the PM cannot be shared with other players. All roles are assigned randomly. There are three basic types of roles that you can get: Town, Mafia and Independent.

Town
If you are part of the Town, then your objective as a group is to stay alive and try to find out who the Mafia are. Since you cannot communicate with other players outside of this thread, you must work together and weed out who is lying and who is not. Townies who die still win when the rest of the town wins.

Mafia
The Mafia (aka Scum) on the other hand, have a significant advantage over the Town. They can communicate with other scum members outside the thread during night phase. During the night, they can come together, discuss, and kill a townie. If all goes according to their plan (which it might not), then that townie will be dead -thus cannot post or vote- for the rest of the game.

Independent
As an Independent, your job is to survive until the end of the game. Depending on your role, this may constitute killing of all Town-aligned players and Mafia and being the only player left alive or simply staying alive regardless of whether the Town or Mafia win, and having a separate win condition. An independent may or may not be in the game.

If all Mafia are killed, then The Town Wins!
If enough Town-aligned people are killed that the amount of Mafia is greater than or equal to the amount of Town-aligned people, The Mafia Wins!
If an Independent successfully survives and satisfies their win condition, they Win!

Game Structure:
The game starts out in something called a day phase. In this phase, all players who are not dead may participate in discussion as well as vote for who gets lynched (note that you can also vote for no one getting lynched). The day phase will continue until a set deadline has passed or when deciding vote is reached.
Once the day phase is finished, the night phase begins. No one may talk in the thread during this phase, meaning that only players with night actions play a significant role. Night actions are abilities possessed by special roles that can be used to alter the game during the night phase. All night actions, including the scum's kill, will be sent to me via PM(unless otherwise stated). Once the night phase deadline is reached or when all actions are sent in, I will PM everyone involved with their results and then a new day phase will begin. If anyone dies, then that person will be revealed.

Rinse and repeat until the game is over...

The Rules:
1. VOTING: Voting should look like this:
#Lynch Jeroen_Sol or #NoLynch
And if you wish to change your vote, first cancel your first vote like this:
#Cancel
It needs to be bold and with a # in front of it, to make it easier for me to make vote counts.

2. PARTICIPATE: It's not too fun when half of the players are always missing in action and only have a few posts. Try to post a few times during each day phase and contribute to the discussion in some way. This is also very important for the town's survival. If you don't participate, you are at high risk of being modkilled or replaced.

3. DON'T CHEAT: Although it'd be difficult for me to find out, just don't do it anyway. You'd be ruining the fun of the game. And if I DO find out...

4. IF YOU ARE DEAD, STAY DEAD: This game does not involve zombies. If you die, then don't post anymore. This of course doesn't apply if your role specifically allows you to speak while dead.

5. EDIT RULE: NEVER EVER EDIT POSTS. If you think your post has awful grammar, just make a new one to correct it.

6. DO NOT QUOTE PMs: Never quote from a PM I send you. Creating false PMs is also forbidden. You may paraphrase information from PMs, but never literally quote them.

7. ANTI-STALLING RULES:
- 1: If nobody dies two day and night phases in a row due to any faction withholding kills, the game ends in favour of whichever faction(s) did not withhold their kill in those two day and night phases, or was the last to do so if all factions did.
- 2: If a nolynch happens at MYLO (non-scum = scum + 2), scum must attempt to kill the following night phase.

Game-specific Roles and Rules:

This game is semi-open. This means that the final setup will contain no roles outside the ones outlined below, but may not contain all of them.

Each faction has a win condition and a lose condition. A faction wins if it satisfies its win condition, but doesn't satisfy its lose condition. Otherwise, it loses. The game ends when any faction wins.

Missions:
Each day phase, a team of 3 people must be formed to go on a mission. Teams will be formed by discussion. Anyone may propose a team, and other players may vote to either #Accept or #Deny it. If more than half of the living players accept the team, it goes on the mission. All (scum) members of the team then notify me whether they want to #Succeed or #Fail the mission. Only Minions of Mordred may choose between success and failure. Loyal servants of Arthur succeed the mission automatically. If all team members choose succeed, the mission succeeds, and one random player will be publically revealed as not Mordred at the end of the day. If any team member chooses failure, the mission fails, and one random player will be publically revealed as not Merlin at the end of the day. If no team is formed before the end of the day, it is treated as a mission failure. If a scum team member doesn't hand in a vote before the end of the day, it will default to #Succeed. This does not apply if the team is formed so close to the deadline that a vote can't reasonably be expected in time. (No gaming the system. I'm looking at you in particular, psy)

Nightless:
Since there are no night powers other than the scum nightkill, scum must choose their nightkill target during day phase. The lynch and nightkill will then happen in the same post, and the next day phase will start immediately afterwards.

Roles:
Loyal servants of Arthur (Town)
Win condition: All key scum are dead.
Lose condition: Merlin is dead.

If Mordred is in the game, he is key scum. Otherwise, all scum are key scum.

Loyal servant of Arthur (Vanilla)

Number: Any
Abilities: None

Merlin (Informed Flagbearer)

Number: 1
Abilities: Knows who the Minions of Mordred are, except Mordred. Does not know their exact roles. Loses the game for town upon death.

Percival (Informed)

Number: At most 1
Abilities: Knows who Merlin and Morgana are, but not who is who.

Lancelot (Bulletproof Guard)

Abilities: Dies in place of Merlin. Cannot otherwise be nightkilled.

Minions of Mordred (Scum)
Win condition: Scum outnumbers Town, or Merlin is dead.
Lose condition: Mordred is in the game, and is dead.

Minion of Mordred (Goon)

Number: Any
Abilities: None

Mordred (Godfather Flagbearer)

Abilities: Identity is not revealed to Merlin. Loses the game for scum upon death.

Morgana (Weak Godfather)

Abilities: Appears as Merlin to Percival.

Assassin (Vengeful)

Abilities: Upon death, is allowed one chance to kill Merlin. The kill fails if it targets anyone other than Merlin.

Oberon (Mute Goon)

Abilities: Does not know, nor share a scumchat with, his fellow Minions of Mordred. Can only nightkill if all other Minions of Mordred are dead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sign-ups:

01 - pianotm, Assassin, lynched D4
02 - Cap_H, Percival, died N4
03 - LockeZ (formerly AtiyaTheSeeker), Loyal Servant of Arthur, lost N5
04 - OddRABBIT, Loyal Servant of Arthur, died N2
05 - OzzyTheOne, Lancelot, died D4
06 - demonlord5000, Loyal Servant of Arthur, lost N5
07 - PlatinumAshes, Merlin, died N5
08 - psy_wombats, Morgana, lynched D5
09 - Yellow Magic, Loyal Servant of Arthur, lynched D3
10 - Muffle, Oberon, lynched D2
11 - Kylaila, Loyal Servant of Arthur, lost N5
12 - InfectionFiles, Loyal Servant of Arthur, lynched D1
13 - Gourd_Clae, Mordred, won N5
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
When are you hoping to start? I'll play if it doesn't start before next weekend.
pianotm
I wasn't going to consider this except you chose a theme from a game based on Arthurian lore.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=pianotm
When are you hoping to start? I'll play if it doesn't start before next weekend.

Next weekend as in a week from now? I'll be away that weekend, so I either have to start afterwards or have a short break. Preferably the former, especially if you can't make it otherwise.
pianotm
Eh...It's fine. I just didn't want an additional distraction.

I'll play.
pianotm
Also...why are you starting a game at a time that has the potential to last beyond a point in which you might not be around?
Jeroen_Sol
I don't really, that's why I want to start after next weekend. Having a break is only a possibility if the game completely fills up in less than a day or something.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Throw me into the fray, I'm giving it a go.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
I'll play. I'm pretty sure I have the time, but if I disappear randomly, either kill me off or find someone to replace me.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Throw me in coach! It's time for mafia!
I'll go ahead and jump in. It's an interesting setup.
PlatinumAshes
I am now certain that you are not scum and are just town trying to play scum as hard as possible.
PlatinumAshes
I am now certain that you are not scum and are just town trying to play scum as hard as possible.
I'm going for that spicy D1 Merlin roleclaim
Jeroen_Sol
Yes, the grand return!
pianotm
The prodigal son returns!
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Yeah okay it's been a while. I'm in. But I'm going to regret this
Jeroen_Sol
Yes, the return of YM!
Jeroen_Sol
As we have 9 players, this game will now definitely take place. It will start on Monday, May 20th. Sign-ups will remain open until then to fill the remaining 3 spots.

New mechanics:

Missions:
Each day phase, a team of 3 people must be formed to go on a mission. Teams will be formed by discussion. Anyone may propose a team, and other players may vote to either #Accept or #Deny it. If more than half of the living players accept the team, it goes on the mission. All (scum) members of the team then notify me whether they want to #Succeed or #Fail the mission. Only Minions of Mordred may choose failure. If all team members choose succeed, the mission succeeds, and one random player will be publically revealed as not Mordred at the end of the day. If any team member chooses failure, the mission fails, and one random player will be publically revealed as not Merlin at the end of the day. If no team is formed before the end of the day, it is treated as a mission failure.

Nightless:
Since there are no night powers other than the scum nightkill, scum must choose their nightkill target during day phase. The lynch and nightkill will then happen in the same post, and the next day phase will start immediately afterwards.