INTERNET DRAMA

Pages: first 12 next last
Apparently I'm a bully according to redwall10 because I won't pull down my Let's Plays of his old games.

I honestly don't get why he cares so much to be honest. While I realize the games in question are pretty awful. He's the only developer that actually gets upset about me posting Let's Plays of his bad games.

He's even go so far as to claim I've turned his life into hell.

author=redwall10
Nice job making my life a living hell.

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I remember my very first game I made. You did a let's play. You gave it two stars and didn't completely hate it. I was very encouraged.
The name sounds familiar, but his profile is empty. What game did he make?
"The Outcasts"
"The Outcasts 2"
"Nightmare School"
"The Outcast Rebellion"
"The Outcasts 2: Cloak of Shadows"
"Phantasy Star - Beneath a New Light"
"Soul Crystals"
"Dragon Cult"

He's made quite a few games, but as soon as someone points out issues with them he decides to take them down.
unity
You're magical to me.
redwall10 has a been a rude and sketchy dev on more than one occasion. They delete and reupload their stuff constantly as well, which doesn't help matters.

A lesson every dev needs to learn is how to take reviews and feedback gracefully. I can't tell you what an eye-opener it is to see someone you thought was level-headed who just loses their mind over a low-score review.

Ultimately, if redwall wants higher scored reviews, they need to listen to criticism and try to learn and grow as a dev, and make games that are more enjoyable to play. Or, if they don't want to, just accept that reviews come with the territory and they'll have to live with that.
author=unity
They delete and reupload their stuff constantly as well, which doesn't help matters.

To be fair, I don't think he's uploaded any of his games since he asked if he could make money selling RPG Maker games. Though why he thinks going commercial with his games is a good idea is beyond me.

After all, he pulled one of his games for a few days because I pointed out how annoying it was that his characters would lose all of their levels when they were switched in and out of the party.

AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Oy, the facts on the table don't give a good conclusion. If this kid (presumably) really wants to make money on RPG Maker games, they need to take criticism like a champ and improve.

I remember you playing my one Forsaken Isle game SacredLobo, and how its only review had a lackluster score from someone else. It hurt and I took it hard and didn't make games for a while. But this year I tried again at games through events and came out on top. Twice, in fact. The finished games I've got aren't perfect and are still short and story-driven, but I am noticing my skills improving with heart and player feedback.

Honestly, I think Redwall10 could use things like events, but they *need* to take criticism and improve based off of it. With the various games they have under their belt and a habit of freaking out over elements of them not being so strong, I can only assume they're a younger dev or have personal issues that are left unchecked.

I mean, I know I have the latter. Being on the Autism Spectrum also kiiiinda qualifies as the former, maybe? But I hope to the gods they're not trying to jump straight into commercial. If those games are as rough around the edges as they seem, the last thing we need is another bad RM game on Steam. :v
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Your review of one of my favorite games that I've made is still one of my favorite reviews just for the fact that not only was an honest review that gave me good pointers to fix that I've strived to improve since then, it was literally the first review I've gotten from someone unfamiliar with the kind of work I do who didn't immediately discredit it as weird garbage.

I'd outright say not to remove the videos out of spite because of this. It's on the dev if they don't want to listen to the very few handful of people who actually play games here willing to give them a chance and actually give good feedback.
He's asked me before to remove your videos and/or tell you to remove them and I gave him a resounding no. I stand by that conclusion. He needs to grow as a developer a bit more and learn to take the advice he gets.
Getting feedback on our games is the best way to improve our craft. Like you pianotm, I got a two stars review on my first game. There was a lot to improve. In the discussion, people also suggested better tools. Thanks to the review and comments, I learned new skills and improved my game.

The only valid reason to take down a review or video is if the game improved significantly.

Even then, I like to show how useful the feedback was to the project.
author=Mirak
It's on the dev if they don't want to listen to the very few handful of people who actually play games here willing to give them a chance and actually give good feedback.

Sad but true.
This actually sounds like a simple matter of taking the thing down, honestly. Or not. I haven't seen the videos, so I dunno. Either way, I'm not sure griping about it publicly is the best approach. I mean honestly, the idea of spread around drama on the internet?

You should all listen to my internet drama instead. :P

liberty says "respect your friends' personal shit, dude"
bulma, seriously? Spreading something like that around about your friend who CONFIDED in you is messed up and not at all on the same level as this. Jesus, man. Just, I'm gonna cut that out so that your poor friend doesn't end up having to deal with having their private life spread around like that. You should think before you post that kind of thing. Your friend put a lot of trust in you by sharing that and you abused their trust by throwing it up here for anyone to see.

just, fuck man.

Lemme be straight up with you: Your friend came to you with something they felt strongly about, something personal to them, and you just dump it here for people to look at and, what? Give yourself a little attention? That's all kinds of horrible. You're a terrible friend. Maybe rethink how to be a better friend or something because that's not right.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I'm always confused by people who are like, "Yeah, I'ma make big bank on video games!" (or any creative project, really).

Like dude, if you need money, go sell your plasma or something. That'll give you some actual cash, and all you have to do is sit for a while. Creative work gives an ABYSMAL return for the amount of effort.

ETA: This is my favorite internet drama
True enough. Though some of those dramas are pretty embarrassing to behold.

Examples
- Flat Earthers
- The Moon was Stolen by NASA and replaced with a hologram people
Topic title is perfect clickbait.

author=thesacredlobo
Apparently I'm a bully according to redwall10 because I won't pull down my Let's Plays of his old games.

I honestly don't get why he cares so much to be honest. While I realize the games in question are pretty awful. He's the only developer that actually gets upset about me posting Let's Plays of his bad games.

He's even go so far as to claim I've turned his life into hell.

author=redwall10
Nice job making my life a living hell.

I read the OP and my first thought was: dude, lobo, this is just mean, obviously HE CARES BECAUSE he put effort into these games, why not pull them down? They're causing him pain and who are they really helping?

Then...
author=unity
redwall10 has a been a rude and sketchy dev on more than one occasion.

Nevermind, Lobo, if unity doesn't like him, commence/continue burning the motherfucker down. (tbc, this part is actually 100% unironic.)

author=unity
A lesson every dev needs to learn is how to take reviews and feedback gracefully.

True dat, unity-senpai, but there is an art to giving good feedback that is just as important of a skill to learn as a creator OR critic.

author=unity
I can't tell you what an eye-opener it is to see someone you thought was level-headed who just loses their mind over a low-score review.

These are games people make for free and give away for free. I would imagine subsequently seeing them get shit on is a pretty extreme feels-bad moment. I can't blame anyone for over reacting, at least a few times. A pattern of the wrong kind of overreaction can indicate someone is just an asshole though.

author=unity
Ultimately, if redwall wants higher scored reviews, they need to listen to criticism and try to learn and grow as a dev, and make games that are more enjoyable to play.

this is true, for sure but it's proportionally only as true as the critics are collectively right. In general, I blame general audiences (the masses) far more than I do critics, but "acclaimed" != good any more than "successful" != good. For the latter, see shit like Twilight and 50 Shades. The former's way more complicated, because diagnosing "bad criticism" is complex and often involves looking at greater themes over a critic's body of work (Roger Ebert has made plenty of individual bad calls, but none of them is as serious a problem as his stubborn and continuous rejection of the idea of video games as an art form).

And then there's the distinction between "critic" and "reviewer" but I assume we're all on the same page there.

author=unity
Or, if they don't want to, just accept that reviews come with the territory and they'll have to live with that.

I think we can all agree everybody needs to do that. Takes some longer than others.

All of my devil's advocating is based on pure ideology, not specific case details. I specifically haven't looked into redwall10's games or posts because he's probably a jerkass with terrible games which would make it harder for me to make these arguments, which are really in favor of the general case of someone being upset enough by a review to try and get it removed. I would say I've matured since then, but I've definitely been there and when you're in that place, you feel the cruelty of your persecutors very acutely and wonder why they couldn't show just a little kindness, when it would cost them so little to abate your pain.

But redwall10 specifically I give 0 fucks about.
author=StormCrow
They're causing him pain and who are they really helping?
Other developers?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't learn a thing or two from watching Liberty's event streams or reading over reviews of other people's games.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I feel like, if you're not really capable of dealing with internet asshole criticism without public shit-losing, you probably should not be putting your work where internet assholes can see and respond to it. Like, there's nothing wrong with just making a thing to share with your friends and loved ones privately, if you're not up to seeing some idiot jerk's point-missing, overaggressive panning of your work.

If you release a work to the public, you have to be ready to deal with the public. And some of the public is gonna be harshly vocal about what it thinks. You don't need to be unfazed by it, but you do need to be able to keep your rage and tears to private areas, if only because reacting dramatically in public attracts the kind of asshole who just wants to see you react dramatically again.
Also keep in mind that we do check reviews to make sure they're not hate-filled rants of rancidity. Less so videos, though I did check the ones he pointed out to me when he complained and they were a little harsh but nothing dramatic or EBIL.
Pages: first 12 next last