PLAYING AS THE VILLAIN?

Pages: first prev 12 last
If you're looking for a game about being a badass villain, I'm afraid I can't suggest any of my games.

If you want to be the minion of a nasty villain, sent on an obviously assassination mission, or if you want to be a bunch of people who think they're the heroes of the story but are actually accidentally the villains, I've got you covered, though.

author=AlexNoah
author=Darken
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
I played that one, but as far as i know you dont play as the villain?

Not...REALLY...

But a LOT of people, me included, feel like the main character is kind of the bad guy if you really think about it.

The core thing with FFTA's plot is like:

"Hey, I found a magic book that let me LITERALLY turn the world into Final Fantasy! My mom's not dead anymore and my dad's not a deadbeat, AND the bullies who literally threw a rock at me are just monsters now, like they deserve to be!"
"Hey, I can actually be the ambitious badass girl I want to be without being snarked at, and my hair is no longer pure white, which made me a bully magnet!"
"Hey! I am no longer afflicted by this lifelong wasting illness that has me confined to a wheelchair and visiting the hospital all the time! I can actually WALK now!"
Main character: "...THIS IS ESCAPISM! ITS NOT HEALTHY! I'M FORCING THE WORLD TO GO BACK TO NORMAL!"
"But all our problems are fixed!"
Main Character: "I'm doing it whether you like it or not! It's for your own good!"

So, yeah. He's kind of the bad guy if you feel like he's forcing people to confront their problems, when the changing of the world has quite literally solved most of their problems.

author=AlexNoah
FF CC is about being the villain?

EDIT: WAIT HANG ON NEVERMIND! That's a trailer for My Life as Darklord, I think. Then yeah, you're TOTALLY a bad guy in that game, you'd like it. XD
author=Aegix_Drakan
If you're looking for a game about being a badass villain, I'm afraid I can't suggest any of my games.

If you want to be the minion of a nasty villain, sent on an obviously assassination mission, or if you want to be a bunch of people who think they're the heroes of the story but are actually accidentally the villains, I've got you covered, though.

author=AlexNoah
author=Darken
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
I played that one, but as far as i know you dont play as the villain?

Not...REALLY...

But a LOT of people, me included, feel like the main character is kind of the bad guy if you really think about it.

The core thing with FFTA's plot is like:

"Hey, I found a magic book that let me LITERALLY turn the world into Final Fantasy! My mom's not dead anymore and my dad's not a deadbeat, AND the bullies who literally threw a rock at me are just monsters now, like they deserve to be!"
"Hey, I can actually be the ambitious badass girl I want to be without being snarked at, and my hair is no longer pure white, which made me a bully magnet!"
"Hey! I am no longer afflicted by this lifelong wasting illness that has me confined to a wheelchair and visiting the hospital all the time! I can actually WALK now!"
Main character: "...THIS IS ESCAPISM! ITS NOT HEALTHY! I'M FORCING THE WORLD TO GO BACK TO NORMAL!"
"But all our problems are fixed!"
Main Character: "I'm doing it whether you like it or not! It's for your own good!"

So, yeah. He's kind of the bad guy if you feel like he's forcing people to confront their problems, when the changing of the world has quite literally solved most of their problems.

author=AlexNoah
FF CC is about being the villain?

EDIT: WAIT HANG ON NEVERMIND! That's a trailer for My Life as Darklord, I think. Then yeah, you're TOTALLY a bad guy in that game, you'd like it. XD

I never finished FF Tactics Advance, but from what you tell me it seems really interesting! I need to get some time to play...
I loved FF Tactics for the PSX, the story was dark and mature, and i always found that Tactics Advance was more "childish" but never mind...

Oh, i didnt noticed it was a expansion of some sort for the FF CC on the WII... I will check it asap.
author=AlexNoah
i always found that Tactics Advance was more "childish" but never mind...

Oh, i didnt noticed it was a expansion of some sort for the FF CC on the WII... I will check it asap.

FFTA is definitely more childish. Everything I pointed out is subtext and analysis. The game presents forcing your friends to go home as a good thing.

And My Life As Darklord is a standalone type game I think. It's absolutely NOT an expansion to Crystal Bearers.
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is not about being a villain.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles My Life as a Dark Lord however, is.
author=Aegix_Drakan
author=AlexNoah
i always found that Tactics Advance was more "childish" but never mind...

FFTA is definitely more childish. Everything I pointed out is subtext and analysis. The game presents forcing your friends to go home as a good thing.

And My Life As Darklord is a standalone type game I think. It's absolutely NOT an expansion to Crystal Bearers.

Indeed, it looks childish too so its obvious its not as dark as the original Tactics...

I checked a little My Life As A Darklord and its a tower based game... definitely not my thing haha

author=Illy
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is not about being a villain.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles My Life as a Dark Lord however, is.

Yeah, also two different games. It sure brings some confusion.

Well, thank you very much everyone for the suggestions, you guys are amazing. I think there is not a RPG where you are totally evil, except for that RPG Maker game called "This is not my final form", and well, Overlord is the only one for now i guess... best thing i can do is to make my own "evil" game and done.
Nier... kinda... its complicated. I dont want to say anything... play through it twice. ;)
@AlexNoah: play more Blood Omen. At the end you get to destroy the whole world if you feel like it--which is more or less every archetypical villain's end goal isn't it?--AND THAT IS THE CANONICAL ENDING. The ending where you aren't a giant douche and sacrifice yourself to save the world is explicitly non-canonical. (More or less the exact opposite of how every other game series with multiple endings decides which is canonical: in this case, they went for the one that DOES destroy the world.)

I mean, Blood Omen might not be your cuppa and that's fine but you can't stop playing it because "Kain's not enough of a villain" give the dude a chance. You can play him as...I'm pretty sure it's possible to play him as one of the worst people in videogame history. You can nom every helpless woman or sleeping or captured man, woman, or child you encounter--in fact you're strongly encouraged to as it fills your blood meter--or if your blood meter is full, you can cast like the first spell you learn which rips all of the skin off of someone on those innocent men, women, and I do think children, too. The spell, called Flay, was clearly designed by House Bolton. And then you get to make decisions where if you want to, you can be even more awful.

To be clear, if you don't want to play Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, that's fine, but having played it...Kain is a villain and a half if you play the game that way. He makes your average GTA protagonist look socially well adjusted...as well he should, since he's a fucking VAMPIRE.

(The fictional world of Nosgoth was a HUGE influence on my early creativity.)

author=Marrend
author=StormCrow
I checked out ActRazer based on your elevator pitch but got anti-climbing paint. : (
Crap. I was probably typing to fast, or didn't notice the extra "ActRazer" in the URL-tag. This should lead to the correct page.

cool, thanks, that makes a lot more sense than you linking to a game that got "painted".
author=visitorsfromdreams
Nier... kinda... its complicated. I dont want to say anything... play through it twice. ;)

Love Nier Automata! but its far from what i am searching, however i didnt finished all the endings...

author=StormCrow
@AlexNoah: play more Blood Omen. At the end you get to destroy the whole world if you feel like it--which is more or less every archetypical villain's end goal isn't it?--AND THAT IS THE CANONICAL ENDING. The ending where you aren't a giant douche and sacrifice yourself to save the world is explicitly non-canonical. (More or less the exact opposite of how every other game series with multiple endings decides which is canonical: in this case, they went for the one that DOES destroy the world.)

I mean, Blood Omen might not be your cuppa and that's fine but you can't stop playing it because "Kain's not enough of a villain" give the dude a chance. You can play him as...I'm pretty sure it's possible to play him as one of the worst people in videogame history. You can nom every helpless woman or sleeping or captured man, woman, or child you encounter--in fact you're strongly encouraged to as it fills your blood meter--or if your blood meter is full, you can cast like the first spell you learn which rips all of the skin off of someone on those innocent men, women, and I do think children, too. The spell, called Flay, was clearly designed by House Bolton. And then you get to make decisions where if you want to, you can be even more awful.

To be clear, if you don't want to play Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, that's fine, but having played it...Kain is a villain and a half if you play the game that way. He makes your average GTA protagonist look socially well adjusted...as well he should, since he's a fucking VAMPIRE.

(The fictional world of Nosgoth was a HUGE influence on my early creativity.)

author=Marrend
author=StormCrow
I checked out ActRazer based on your elevator pitch but got anti-climbing paint. : (
Crap. I was probably typing to fast, or didn't notice the extra "ActRazer" in the URL-tag. This should lead to the correct page.

cool, thanks, that makes a lot more sense than you linking to a game that got "painted".

Holy crap, you can do these things? well, you won, i will try it now... i canĀ“t think of anything more evil than that haha, thanks a lot, i like your detailed responses hahaha
The main character of The Way is NOT a good guy. It's debatable whether or not you can call him a villain, but he certainly is from the perspective of other characters.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
The main character of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was the villain before he lost his memory, and you are absolutely free to play him or her that way again!
author=dethmetal
The main character of The Way is NOT a good guy. It's debatable whether or not you can call him a villain, but he certainly is from the perspective of other characters.

I need to check that game, many people on RPG Maker net mentioned it...

author=pianotm
The main character of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was the villain before he lost his memory, and you are absolutely free to play him or her that way again!

Oh Star Wars, i will check that one soon too, thanks a lot bro!

I played Blood Omen yesterday and damn... could not stand the graphics/gameplay lol, and i am a old school RPG lover, but that game for SURE didnt aged well...
Pages: first prev 12 last