WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING?

author=Eggbertx
author=cho
author=Deckiller
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
make sure to burn it when you're done
Why? (I haven't read it)
well for one, Ayn Rand's philosophy (which she crams down your throat in her books) is pretty much disgusting

but there's also the fact that her book is abysmal, over-written, preachy garbage

also the book is literally about how rich people "know better" than everyone else

p.s. when i say she crams the ideology down your throat, i mean a good 50+ pages at the end of the book is dedicated to a character going into excruciating detail about it. it's honestly hilariously bad and the fact that anyone takes it seriously is baffling to me
author=cho
author=Eggbertx
author=cho
author=Deckiller
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
make sure to burn it when you're done
Why? (I haven't read it)
well for one, Ayn Rand's philosophy (which she crams down your throat in her books) is pretty much disgusting

but there's also the fact that her book is abysmal, over-written, preachy garbage

also the book is literally about how rich people "know better" than everyone else

p.s. when i say she crams the ideology down your throat, i mean a good 50+ pages at the end of the book is dedicated to a character going into excruciating detail about it. it's honestly hilariously bad and the fact that anyone takes it seriously is baffling to me

Terry Goodkind is often compared to her, he jams his philosophy down your throat as well (it's hard to agree with ANYTHING the characters say or think or do). He's not a great writer either. On the other hand, I was still entertained enough by Wizard's First Rule to get the 2nd book. Anyways, interesting if nothing else.
Ketsumio
I guess he's an Xbox and I'm more Atari
Re-reading all the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
Ghost Story comes out in July. I have it pre-ordered already.... LOL
Won't be reading anything until July 12th: Dance of Dragons.
The Timediver legacies. L.E. Modiest. Good Sci-fi for a evening read.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
The Hunger Games series.

So good.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Atlas Shrugged has some good points. It puts a certain type of people in their place during the early pages - the type who are too afraid to be bold and advance themselves at their workplace. Nothing drives me more insane than people who just do their thing and don't actually THINK when they work. Ruins efficiency because they can't diagnose any issues...
Struggling through the first book of the Malazan series (Gardens of the Moon) since I hear it gets much better as it goes along. Almost no exposition.

Also reading The Spanish Bow and the second Mistborn book, The Well of Ascension, which unfortunately is not living up to the first book's great storytelling.

Great to see that more people are becoming aware of Ice & Fire due to the HBO show, such an awesome series and no other writer today can really compare to what Martin does.
I am currently at this moment, studying the Lord of the Rings, I am a huge Tolkien fan, (but I missed the festival! :(:( ) and trying to build an RPG on it.
The Well of Ascension as a great read, but I am surprised you came across it, almost no book-shops, such as waterstones, have it on their shelvges any more.
author=Craze
The Hunger Games series.

So good.

Hmph! Hunger games is alright, but it is copied from other similar works, try reading some original books.
author=Ichimaru_Gin
The Well of Ascension as a great read, but I am surprised you came across it, almost no book-shops, such as waterstones, have it on their shelvges any more.

Libraries are wonderful things and it is how I got the first book :) This one actually picked up at Borders though. So you're telling me the book gets better, ?? :)
author=lucidrose
no other writer today can really compare to what Martin does
i've never read his books but i'm pretty sure this isn't true with people like Murakami and McCarthy alive

why do these names all start with M
author=cho
author=lucidrose
no other writer today can really compare to what Martin does
i've never read his books but i'm pretty sure this isn't true with people like Murakami and McCarthy alive

why do these names all start with M

Haruki Murakami? I've read him some. He's a completely different style of writer and definitely defines his own niche. Stylistically, Martin and he are in completely different worlds.

To clarify - I meant that there is simply no other author in the fantasy genre who has the command of political intrigue, breadth of characterization, and a realized world.

..Now if he'll only stop touring the damn world to finish the series....
Haven't checked the previous entries in this thread to know if it's been brought up yet, but I've been diving head first into Discworld. I'm in the middle of Mort, which is turning out to be quite awesome and hilarious, as is Terry Pratchett's style. I really love all the Death-central stories, he's proving to be quite a sympathetic character.

Also, finally picked up some H.P. Lovecraft after a friend lent me one of his. I'm now reading Dagon for the first time ever. Man, this guy really gets horror. Not like modern writers, who assume "mutilated bodies and buckets of blood" are the only means to horrify someone.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
"Last and First Men" by Olaf Stapledon.Just give it a try................
author=ubermax
Also, finally picked up some H.P. Lovecraft after a friend lent me one of his. I'm now reading Dagon for the first time ever. Man, this guy really gets horror. Not like modern writers, who assume "mutilated bodies and buckets of blood" are the only means to horrify someone.

I bought this earlier this year, I'm about a quarter through the stories I think.

It's HUGE and the pages are like bible page paper :/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Necronomicon-Weird-Fiction-Lovecraft-Gollancz/dp/0575081562

It has all his famous work plus a biography and some awesome illustrations.
Finished New Spring and finally moving on to A Game of Thrones.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
author=Orig
Swann's Wayby Marcel Proust on audiobook. Very strange. Like listening to a person think. A very obsessive-compulsive, paranoid, sheltered person.
Its notorious that Proust was gay and Odette's real life model a man, the fact is i thought there was something not quite right in the way Swann adressed or thought about Odette, and it got to me, so I decided to reread the book replacing mentally "she" by "he" each time Odette was concerned....! Well, it worked out quite well and I think it made the book overall better! (probably more readable for people that have a problem with Proust, like my mother...( not to mention it was perfectly exhausting!))
I thought I'd relate this weird and quite iconoclast experience.