WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
LouisCyphre
CyberDagger
Craze
eo1 sucks
I get the feeling that for you a game is either awesome or horrible, no middle term.

Anyway, I stated my interest in trying out EO on IRC and asked about where I should start. Was told to start out with the first one. Followed recommendation. Do you wish to elaborate on your position?
Every later EO game blows EO1 out of the water.

eo1 was "let's make a pretty dungeon crawler that's nothing like wizardry in order to grab money from wizardry fans"

eo2 was "let's make a good game that expands on eo1 and makes it into its own full-bodied series"

eo3 was "let's make a terrific game with the old dungeon concept, but tie it in to a really cool ship exploration side-mission that helps you dungeon delve, as well as switch up the class system to our best set yet"

eo4 was "let's make it a bit simpler again, returning to eo2, but with the system changes and exploration side-missions of eo3, and give an already-pretty series a graphical update on the new hardware to make it surprisingly even better-looking"

eo1 sucks

Yellow Magic
Replaying 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors..still waiting to be mindfudged. I've only got one ending so far, though...let's see what happens.

hahahahahahaaaaaahahh oh god

one of the best DS games for the sort of person that likes VNs. An amazing experience, you WILL be mindfucked, do not worry.
author=Pants
eo3 was "let's make a terrific game with the old dungeon concept, but tie it in to a really cool ship exploration side-mission that helps you dungeon delve, as well as switch up the class system to our best set yet"

Yeah, no. The ship content in EO3 is terrible and almost ruins the game. EO3 has the best class/ability synergy.
author=Craze
eo1 was "let's make a pretty dungeon crawler that's nothing like wizardry in order to grab money from wizardry fans"

eo2 was "let's make a good game that expands on eo1 and makes it into its own full-bodied series"

eo4 was "let's make it a bit simpler again, returning to eo2, but with the system changes and exploration side-missions of eo3, and give an already-pretty series a graphical update on the new hardware to make it surprisingly even better-looking"

That's a lot better. I see now what you mean, and yeah, if that's how it is, EO1 is entirely skippable. Thanks for the input.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
I am playing Maldita Castilla. And it is the game I have always wanted to make, and therefore excruciating for me to be away from it for any length of time.

It's basically an homage to old-school arcade run & gun platformers. Particularly Ghosts n' Goblins. And that sort of gameplay is right up my exteremly niche-y and hard-to-find ally.

But it's not just that, it's extremely fun for a run & gun! The graphics are charming and well-done, the music sounds like it comes from an authentic arcade machine, you have 3 hearts instead of 2 or 1, you can control your jump in midair. To someone used to Ghosts n' Goblins this is huge stuff. Plus the levels themselves offer a lot of variety, there's loads of cool bosses, and it's hard. Hard to believe it's freeware.

I'M WHORING THIS GAME OUT BECAUSE IT'S JUST THAT DAMN GOOD.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Still on Star Ocean 4 Purgatory. :p

Properly level up more, and figure out those damn puzzles.
Craze
Jude
Pants
Yeah, no. The ship content in EO3 is terrible and almost ruins the game. EO3 has the best class/ability synergy.

bzzzt incorrect

isrieri that game looks nifty! grabbin' it now.

EDIT: Oh, it's by Locomalito! I love Hydorah.
I found EO 2 a little TOO difficult in the beginning, and that sorta put me off from the rest of the game. So what's the deal with EO4? I was thinking about picking it up but I'm a tad weary
Craze
Ephiam
I found EO 2 a little TOO difficult in the beginning, and that sorta put me off from the rest of the game. So what's the deal with EO4? I was thinking about picking it up but I'm a tad weary

I don't have a 3DS yet but apparently it's both a call back to EO1/2 in terms of classes/design but with all the new stuff from 3 redone into something that even Jude might enjoy. It has an overworld, for goodness sakes...

also if skill trees being... trees... now doesn't get you wet i don't know what will

http://www.atlus.com/etrian4/feaba4.html
Well I have a 3DS and I have finished EO4. It is great.

Sub-classing is only useful for passives this time, because most classes have very insular actives that don't play well with others. While these mechanics are neat, particularly arcanist circles and imperial drive techniques, it makes sub-classing and party dynamics a bit less interesting on the whole compared to EO3.

There is no ship crap in EO4, which is instead replaced by an overworld. A big advantage of this method is it really frees up how you can build your party. Dungeons are now a shorter affair so you don't need to organize your entire ability set towards something sustainable, because your mana reserves will largely hold out. It also allows a lot of side-dungeons which can be organized around more gimmicky puzzles that are a nice diversion but could be annoying if they were a progression obstacle.

The music is great. The 3D is poor. The graphics are good.
author=Craze
bulmabriefs please remove legendia from the playstation and destroy it with a hammer

i hope you didn't pay money for that shitty excuse for a videogame

What? I like Legendia. I liked Tales of Phantasia, and here they upgraded the system.
Craze
bulmabriefs, the only good thing about Legendia is the music. The characters are obnoxious and juvenile (if you like Norma, I pity you), the voice acting is weak, and the dungeons are the worst in the series. They're long affairs with nothing interesting.

Legendia is especially disappointing because it has a really fucking cool setting -- a small world that is on a ship -- and then does nothing with it other than some ocean themes. It's just fantasy muck and wasted potential.

IMO, only Abyss and Vesperia are worthwhile Tales games. I want to like the series, but they're so immature it hurts sometimes.

Jude: Thanks for the overview. I was going to get it anyway, but that just cements the deal.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Abyss was probably the last really good console JRPG I played. It had great combat and the plot wasn't the generic "save the world" crap like Symphonia.

I mean okay you save the world eventually but the hero's a real asshole about it at first
and also he kills a whole lot of people
Craze
It was equal parts "save the world" (excused since the threat of the miasma is done really well, and just, like, holy shit you're wrecking the planet to save the planet) and "can i live please."

scratch all that. i'll just replace it with this

yeah
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
well damn now i have to play it again, what have you done

They did a great job with Luke's character & development in that game.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Craze
Yellow Magic
Replaying 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors..still waiting to be mindfudged. I've only got one ending so far, though...let's see what happens.

hahahahahahaaaaaahahh oh god

one of the best DS games for the sort of person that likes VNs. An amazing experience, you WILL be mindfucked, do not worry.
Just got all six endings. The game as a whole was...okay, I guess, but I actually preferred the "Bad" endings over the explanations given in the "True" Ending.

I mean, in the end it seemed like everything ended up as this twisted branching-time paradox with a romantic tinge and it just felt like slightly-wasted potential given all the crackpot theories being floated about in the story.

Not going to lie though; apart from it being obvious from the beginning that there was more to June than met the eye, I didn't really see the ending coming. As far as plot-twists go it was pretty out-there. And that flipping of the DS for the final puzzle was pretty damn neat (although SUDOKU? Really???)

EDIT: The Safe ending was interesting as it was the most cheesy outcome imaginable - I'm really hoping it was intended to be some sort of parody because goddamn.
Craze
Which was the Safe ending again? Was it the one with

Snake in the coffin?
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Both the Safe ending and True endings had Snake in a coffin. To be more specific, the Safe ending involved Detective Junpei unmasking the Real Murderer and Snake surviving five gunshots to the chest through ~The Power of Love~.
Craze
...yeah, I hed forgotten how weird that one was. Nothing on WELCOME TO THE DESERT of course, but still.
A majority of 3D Tales games are highly rated. Symphonia,Abyss,Vesperia, Graces, Xillia, etc. I would highly recommend playing Tales games if you need a great, modern JRPG series to play. Their characters are unforgettable and lively, they are long, the replay value is very high, the stories are great(not too generic at least),the voice acting is usually superb,the battle systems are always a blast,there are various customization options(difficulty,HUD,story development,etc), tons of extras, and there is always something new in the series.

Set that aside, I am currently playing Final Fantasy XII, which in my opinion is one of the greatest Final Fantasy games I've ever played. There is a lot of elements from all previous FF games and there is so much going on that I can't decide what to do at times. I've played for over 60 hours and I'm still not done with it yet. I am also playing FFX-2 and an assortment of other games to help me learn how to develop my own games better in terms of music, gameplay, art-style, and storylines.
FFXII is cool, I've played it for 200 hours and I'm just now on the final boss.

I've almost beaten FFX and am looking forward to borrowing X-2 from my sis.
I'm also playin' Twilight Princess, of course. :)

What the- Craze... That Tales of the Abyss music vid you posted (meaning of birth extended), the beginning... I've never played Tales of the Abyss but the beginning of the song... I remember it from somewhere... Weird...