[RM2K3] [RM2K] A TALES OF WORLDS NEW MENU IDEA, NEED HELP.

Pages: 1
Wellp looks like no one knows what I talk about last topic. Oh well. 0__________0

ANYWAY, here is a new topic, and it's something that just kinda came to me. So I started playing Tales of Worlds, which is pretty good, a strange story nonetheless though I am doing an edit and improved version, where I am trying to up the game's quality to awesome level! Like tons of new animations to get rid of old animations built into most RPG Maker games. I do this because...well no one really knows why. Because I'm nice, and I'm a cool guy. It's kinda like in school when you get your homework back and your teacher gives you an A and you really wanted an A+. I guess. Hahah.

But anyway, Tales, has a system menu that pulls up a message, and has three choices in the message: Command, System, and Tutorials. Though I kinda had an interesting idea instead of the message, there would be a picture menu where you can select commands via a (LOOP?) so there would be a nice looking picture menu with three selections. Though, dunno how to do. In the events, the event is a parallel process, and there's a lot of labels in the event. Though I would also want to change the look of the menu if the system is colored red, green, or blue, so switches too. :O Kinda complex for something so simple. Any pointers on where to go with this? Thanks all!

Here's a snippet of what I did so far, a lot of typing...

<>Main Menu Access Forbid
<>Key Input Proc:
<>Message Display Options: Normal, Center, Fixed, Halt Processes
<>Branch if Var is 6
<>Show Picture: 1 bs-system-command (160,120)
<>Move Picture 1, (160, 120), 1.0 Sec (Wait)
<>Label: 1
<>Show Picture: 1, bs-system-command (160,120)
<>Branch if Var is 3
<>Branch if Var [0002:Button Push is 5
<>Play Sound: Cursor
<>Memorize BGM
<>Play BGM: 1-05-MemoriesOfGreen
<>Open Main Menu
<>Play Memorized BGM
<>Move Picture: 1 (160,120), 0.5 Sec (Wait)
<>Erase Picture: 1
<>
:Else Hanndler
<>
:End

On top of that, I'm working on a graphic novel too and other projects. I'm a busy pup, you see.

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm not sure how it works as-is, but, from what I'm reading of what you want to do, I'm thinking this custom menu idea might want to be it's own map. The picture that the menu uses would include the text for each available choice, and the player graphic would turn into a cursor. The facing for the player character would likely need to be locked. Each choice would, then, actually be an Action Button trigger based on where the player is on the "list" of choices. Though, perhaps I'm assuming too much by thinking this menu is vertically aligned, rather than horizontally?
Horizontal. Yep.
I was doing it via pictures, where by hitting the 0, X, or ESC keys, it would bring up a menu before the main menu. Like this:

Right now it's stuck on just that. I want it also to when you hit the same keys, it'll disappear. Though when you would hit the left and right keys, you could move through the selections, and then select with the decision keys, Enter, space, Z. Command would open the main menu, system is for system colors, and tutorials are tutorials. Though when you change the system colors I'd want that to change to red, green, or blue.

It's doable but it's tricky. 0_0
Marrend
A ring menu implementation was a thing I did in Ace (among other things), and even used proper trigonometry functions to do it. With 2K3, well, I think it might be possible through the Maniacs Patch, or whatever it's called? I'm not familiar with it, beyond it's existence, so, I cannot help more.
<>_<>
I feel like it's much simpler than that though. Arf.
Marrend
Maybe I don't know what's possible in vanilla 2K3, but, the arrangement of the menu items in your screencap are in a triangle, rather than a line. That's not an arrangement that's possible within the confines of a Show Choice in 2K3. You can set up an arrangement like that with Show Picture, and maybe have some On Hero Touch triggers when the "cursor" tries to move, then do an appropriate Move Route, based on the direction of the movement?

I've not played the game in question, so, I dunno how that game handled the "System" option to begin with, but, if the options are limited between three or four windowskins, then, that could still be workable. Probably with a Conditional Branch, associating each window style with a number, and using a game-variable to keep track of that.
That's what I was doing, the Show Picture. Though now I see what you mean now...
The way the creator did it was just show three choices in a message, and then the choices lead unto opening the system menu, changing system colors, and tutorials.
argh
I guess you haven't played this one though. I'm stuck in it, at a part after a pirate ship, and there's a tower that has two legendary swords in it and I'm at too low of a level, these bosses are too hard.

I see what you mean though, I was trying to execute the main menu through using pictures, and the original Common Event has it that when a key is pressed, a message comes up with three choices. I thought, maybe instead of that maybe a cooler menu coulda been implemented. Though this game, really is kinda strange. A world that was created with five mana pools, by the gods of Odrin, and the evil god Tartarus. 0_0 I heard that one! Even by editing parts, it's kinda dry to me.
Pages: 1