YOUR FIRST GAME

Alright, I know most of you, if not, all of you, have a first game. What was it like? What was it about? Anything Interesting about it?

For me, I remember making a game called Crystal Legends before my main project right now. It was about one teenager and his dog and a fairy traveling the world to stop a villain, which was the teenager's best friend(?!). The main character had the Alex charset and the maps were horrid.

Anyways, tell me about your first game! Heck, if you still have it, why not upload it and give us a download link?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I went straight into making my 30-40 hour game.
I don't remember my first RPG Maker game, but my first RM95 game was "Lost Fantasy" where you finish up HERO ADVENTURING SCHOOL and then you basically walk to the next area when you were given no direction which involved a forest where you beat up a fellow former classmate who joins you and you climb a mountain to find out that the local city has been taken over by bird-like goblims! Then you go inside a cave in the mountain (which is a teleporter maze) and the demo ends. You were supposed to go inside the mansion and free the city and eventually cross over five moons and a planet throughout the game, the plot was 'make it up as you go along', and it was meant to be liquid epic.

I don't have it anymore because I was a faggot and deleted it
My first game was about 20 years ago, and has been lost to the sands of time.
There were a few after that, then Mario Paint came out, and I made a few on that. Using stamps for the characters, having a status window at the top or bottom of the screen, using stamps for the numbers and letters.

And then RPG Maker came out, making my first public effort Dragon Kingdoms. I made four games in four years in the series after that (and it shows), along with several other incomplete games, including Celestial Descent, and then I started taking more time to develop them. Still no 30-40 hour games, yet!
I've actually known about RPG Maker 2003 for a while now, ever since I was in, I think, 8th or 9th grade and I attempted to make a game with it at that point in my life. But anyways, my first project was going to be "epic". I tried formulating this idea where the main character was a samurai who shamed his armored samurai father, so the samurai main character was going to get revenge or something, but his father is super powerful, so he has to go to the future and get something powerful in order to stop him and there was going to be something about this window above his father's castle which was going to be like this dimensional gate or something. I also had sequels in the works, even though I didn't even finish the first game. They were going to take place in the "future". The second game was going to take place in a future where the main character's father is like this dictatorial ruler, so it was going to end in an epic final fight. The last game was going to take place in a "post-apocalyptic future" where after destroying his evil father, the main character was going to go back in time and destroy his evil father, who is actually like this god-like creature, before he had the chance to rule over the future or some strange crap like that.

Okay, I admit it, it was pretty out there and fucking ridiculous, not to mention it was going to be RTP only as well, but it was my first attempt at a game, even if it was pure and utter crap. Sadly enough, my brother would replace RPG Maker 2003 with XP, probably because he thought of it as an "improvement" or something like that, so I would never see my projects, nor would I ever see the program, ever again...until time has passed. Even though my project is long gone by now, I have found a download for RPG Maker 2003, so I've been working on other, less ridiculous projects ever since. Seriously, imagine trying to make a "futuristic" setting with only RTP. Boy, what was I on when I thought of that! But hey, first game ever attempted and deserving of its spot.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I made a game called The Secret of Ludia with RMXP. It was about a teenage girl named Mikami, who was a Fighter-in-training, going on a quest to save a woman who telepathically calls to her for help. Her father, who is a professional Fighter, decides to let her go and sends a whiny, prissy fairy named Alpha to help her on her quest. She eventually discovers what a robot is, as these stupid bots called Beebee Bots start causing trouble for her. She discovers a robot named Beetal, who unconditionally serves her and does not remember who created him or why he is even there. The whole game is centered around gradually discovering the secret behind the existence of Mikami's home planet, Ludia, which is pretty much that it was founded by a highly advanced alien race and their remainder, a mad scientist named Dr. Lue, wants to take over planet Ludia just because he feels he is superior to the current people living on the planet.
The game was complete with default RTP graphics and battle system, with no effort really put in to the monsters, except for a few graphics which clashed horribly. The game had an abundance of some stupid, sometimes juvenile humor, and a bit too much cussing with the excuse that the main character was a pretty crass gal. I remade it 2 times already, but eventually I never finished it. Here's an example of it's suck:

It's the first RPG Maker game I started, but not the first game I've made in general. I made some compilation of three dysfunctional games with Multimedia Fusion.
My first was Eternity 3, a game that I never came up with a proper subtitle for. It was part of a series of stories I came up with when I was much younger, though I never managed to finish any of them.

The game was about a boy living in a secluded mountain town, who begins the game by attempting to procure a rare mineral in a dangerous mine in order to study for a geology report. After returning home a strange power awakens within him that ends up decimating most of the town and killing almost everyone in it. Following this he is forced to leave his hometown accompanied by a devoted best friend. The first city they come across is an oppressive feudal serfdom where he survives by stealing while his friend takes whatever jobs she can manage.

At some point the two hear about a Mercenary Guild of sorts another town over, so they pack up their things and head to the new city. As new recruits they hunt small monsters and bandit groups while earning a decent living for themselves. Eventually they bite off more than they can chew and attempt to take down an entire bandit ring and become embroiled in a conflict which causes their separation. Some unknown figure learns of the strange power the main character possesses and ends up capturing him and sends him to be shipped to a research facility across the ocean.

During the voyage the ship is assailed by pirates, and the main character ends up being taken as a hostage and eventually sold into slavery. He spends the next few months fighting in a 'to the death' coliseum. While living there he discovers the coliseum was built on some ancient ruins, and with a bit of sneaking around manages to make his way inside. While there he discovers a 10,000 year old psychotic cyborg who facilitates his escape. And that is far as I got before I gave up on the project. It had several other characters and subplots and at some point I intended for everyone to meet and become swept up in a war.

As for the gameplay itself it was standard rm2k3. No particular custom systems, mostly linear with few sidequests and a bit more grind heavy than I would make today.

Currently I have not uploaded this project because frankly I find it embarrassing. I may throw it up at some point after I have released a game I am more confident in, since I don't want my first submission to the site to be painfully bad.
'Sage' waaay back in about 2002. I never went back and edited anything. I didn't plan any structure at all, or anything more than the first few characters in the DB, and it went on and on, changing characterisation, boss music and even the hero's face portrait as it went along, as well as slowly growing out of RTP as the game progressed. And at one point I decided it would go Suikoden and shoved a quick castle in there. Goes without saying it was v. bad, but I kind of wish I still had it but that was about 4/5 computer resets ago now. : (

(also: every game I made in the next 4 years from this was not much better)
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
@Silviera-
That story actually sounds incredible. A bit trope-y in places, and a bit ridiculous in others, but awesome nonetheless. I'd play it. :D
Hell, I'd help dev it if you wanted to make a fancier, newer version.

Also, that 'psychotic cyborg' under the coliseum wouldn't happen to be a reference to Box in Logan's Run, would it?
My first game was The Adventures of Shinan. It was a parody game I think about an adventurer called Shinan and his quest to probably save the world. The demo didn't go very far if I remember correctly (I can't play the game since it requires the rm2k RTP and I don't have that)

The description on the homepage says:
Shinan wakes up after an odd message in his dreams and he is in some odd village where The Old Man Who Knows Everything lives. The Old Man tells him that the dream was a telepathic message and that he is supposed to save the one that sent the message.
And so the epic adventure begins... Except that it wasn't so epic, the girl to rescue is found in the first dungeon and the girl tells them that the message was sent by mistake, to give more problems to everyone the girl's name is Gandalf. After saving the girl they go to a small town and finds an odd guy named Jonas. He tells the heroes that there's an evil tyrant in the far north waiting to be defeated by a couple of heroes, so off they go and maybe the Adventure do begin after all.

Man. I wonder just how much the game sucks. I think it's fortunate I can't play it.

Yes, that's a Magus charset.

This game was originally called Hero's Realm but I decided to use that name for a later project. When I uploaded it here I quickly renamed it to Kentonia after the country it's set in.

It's standard fantasy fare, with shit happening all over the kingdom, an evil advisor controlling the king, and the basic plot of the Lord of Evil Demons of Evil being revived.

However, even then I loved making world maps:

http://rpgmaker.net/games/946/
My first game was a botched attempt at making Neo Lescia. I'm not going into specifics, cause I'm going ahead with it right now. But trust me, I was 12, it was horrible, and I had completely forgotten the plot of Neo Lescia, so it really wasn't the game anyways. It's a good thing I recovered the file folder that contained everything about the game.
I really don't remember. It was more or less a FF4 knock off.

Onyx was born 2 years.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
The Legend of Plank. You walked around as a small boy and talked to ghosts.
I have tons of tiny demos and stuff I've made using the Acknex engine (it's a 3D DirectX-based engine). I can't remember WHICH one was the first game actually. One of the first was this game where you could play as Bomberman, Inuyasha, and some other person I forgot and you went around as 16x16 sprites in a 3D environment. It was only about a level long and you had to fight stuff like robots. People thought it was a little strange and somewhat fun if only the jumping wasn't messed up. I might still have it on CD somewhere, I burned like 3 because my drive kept messing up. I was actually trying to make a Bomberman RPG ala Grandia style (3D with sprites) but made it a platformer-ish action game instead.

Then I eventually got RPG Maker. Made tons of stuff I didn't finish but got lots of practice at making RPGs. There was one game I did finish, but it was HORRIBLE. I would so upload that piece of crap if I still had it. It might also still be on a CD somewhere.

Then there was that weird F-Zero 3D demo out of boredom which was a little fun but I couldn't make the car go on the loops right.

Eventually I made an actual action RPG using the same 3D engine and sprites idea only it worked. Sort of. You played as someone named "Aura"- I made the character, but the name was given to me by someone else. It was sort of fun if only the collision wasn't horrible. This is something on a CD, but worth trying to find as it was really cool in a way. Can you see a pattern of BACK THAT STUFF UP YOU MORON here?

Now there's plenty of StarFox style shooters that use the mouse I have made which were actually kind of neat. Those I know I have lying in my desk, I might drag them out but I don't have the original project I need to work on them. So if I upload them here they'll be initially canceled demos.

There's also a really fun classic Bomberman game I made, which was completed, and had all the fixings. 100 levels, changing every 10 with 10 bosses. The game used a software pixel renderer instead of the DirectDraw blitter and was written in C/C++. I also made a JAVA applet version later which had 120 levels, traps, and more enemies. I lost both of them, but I plan on making another using my latest WeaponSoul engine and putting it here because I loved the classic Bomberman so much. This time with multiplayer and co-op since I already finished normal versions.

Now these are all first versions of things clustered about the same time (Except the JAVA Bomberman). I may not have the 3D game demos for the action RPG sort of thing, but I do have a much later demo of some canceled RPG that would have used the name WeaponSoul you can download here. It's just moving and the mouse brings up the GUI. Clicking pauses and the number keys do stuff I think. One of the number keys makes you reload the map underwater so you can "swim" by repeatedly jumping. Z or X jumps I think. All those other 3D games looked like that except they weren't really RPGs.

Oh yeah and I made this crappy map editor one time

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m134/WolfCoder/shot_0.jpg

This is what RPG Maker would look like if it was a 3D RPG Maker

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m134/WolfCoder/playback.png
Gibmaker
I hate RPG Maker because of what it has done to me
post=94884
It had several other characters and subplots and at some point I intended for everyone to meet and become swept up in a war.

Never has the basis of every RPG been summed up so off-handedly. D:

My foist evar RPG didn't get a name, but I never got farther than making the first bit of the main town and the inside of the obligatory pub. There was a greeter who said, "Welcome to Ki-Lim!" The music was Castle3.mid.
@tardis
Glad to hear you liked the story, though I think it would need some work if I attempted to remake it (especially a lot of the detailed parts I did not mention). I'm actually focusing on another project that is vaguely related to that but disconnected enough to be played on its own. If you're still around when I finish it I wouldn't mind having some help, as that game is the one I plan to return to first before moving on to the sequels.

As for the Box thing, I haven't actually seen Logan's Run. Though if it has an interesting cyborg character I may have to get around to watching it for a bit of inspiration.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
I've yet to actually complete a game, but the first game I worked on was on my friend's computer and was a really shitty RTP game called :
Final Fantasy: Extremely Messed Up.
Basically it was supposed to be a short game that didn't take itself seriously. The main character was a smack talking ninja, there was a kid with psychic powers and a stupid king. But then, my friend's computer got a virus and the hard drive got wiped.