PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS 7

Gee golly jeepers! You not having an issue makes it all better.

You weren't exactly asking for help. You expect everyone to wallow in your shitty luck? =)
post=120221
Gee golly jeepers! You not having an issue makes it all better.
You weren't exactly asking for help. You expect everyone to wallow in your shitty luck? =)

Yes.

To elaborate a bit, I'm just venting because you hear this crap everywhere someone is asking for help.

"Help, I just installed Windows 7 on a brand new hard drive. I did everything including doing a thorough SMART scan on the drive, and did research to ensure all of my components ar..."

"WELL IT WORKS FINE FOR ME WINDOWS SEVEN IS THE BEST"
The way it sounds to me is that Windows 7 is as bad as or worse than Vista. Most RM games I play work comfortably in Vista so I don't think I want to upgrade now.
post=120229
The way it sounds to me is that Windows 7 is as bad as or worse than Vista. Most RM games I play work comfortably in Vista so I don't think I want to upgrade now.

It's not as bad as Vista at launch, that I can pretty much agree with; but the amount of hoops I had to jump in order to get things running well is rather ridiculous considering how reliable XP has been for me, a dated product. (Progression usually means going FORWARD, not down and then sideways)

It's not as bad as Vista at launch, that I can pretty much agree with; but the amount of hoops I had to jump in order to get things running well is rather ridiculous considering how reliable XP has been for me, a dated product. (Progression usually means going FORWARD, not down and then sideways)

No, Microsoft's OSes work under this pseudo-relevant equation when dealing with progress :
Microsoft = Windows OS = Thieving Bill Gates = progress regression = Make even larger steps backwards = Piece of Crap Computer = Monopoly money = Tough shit
post=120234
post=120229

I have grown fond of how reliable XP is. So instead of upgrading to a newer operating system, I've used Virtualbox's support for 64-bit guest OSs in a 32-bit host for the past two years.

edit: i.e. virtualization is the solution to 67.345% of everything
Nightblade
It's not as bad as Vista at launch

NVidia!
Most of us were kids when windows XP first came out, so you probably don't realize it had way more hardships than the current generation of Windows when it first came out. If you think this is a step backwards, I don't know what to tell you.

Vista was pretty bad though (I skipped right to W7).
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=120250
Thieving Bill Gates

you, sir, evidently don't know shit about bill gates. bill gates isn't big brother at all, i hate that he gets such a terrible rap for no good reason.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
For reference, he's one of the few absurdly rich people who realizes that he could live off the interest of the interest of his interest, and therefore spends a very considerable portion of his income on charity.

yes I'm in business math and yes we just went over this on friday

EDIT: I doubt Bill has even laid a finger on W7's code, so.
post=120266
Most of us were kids when windows XP first came out, so you probably don't realize it had way more hardships than the current generation of Windows when it first came out. If you think this is a step backwards, I don't know what to tell you.

When you make the same mistakes, time and time again; that's not progress. That's called smashing your head into a brick wall.
post=120269
post=120250
Thieving Bill Gates
you, sir, evidently don't know shit about bill gates. bill gates isn't big brother at all, i hate that he gets such a terrible rap for no good reason.

He stole the inital Os for windows from steve jobs, back when steve jobs was working at atari as a programmer. He was the high school kid that they put bets on as he smashed through arcade machines, at least according to some interviews that were held with atari personnel in the 1980s. Many of these interviews are in: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-History-Video-Games-Pokemon/dp/0761536434
Which is one of the very few case where someone managed to get these interviews. But it is no real secret that he stole his way to fortune.
never been adequately proven to any extent, also completely out of character
I haven't had any issues with RM games and Windows 7. Way fewer than Vista!

Same goes with PC games that Nightblade had trouble with. However, some PC games don't work at all (I bought Thief 3 for $5 and I couldn't play it :( ).

EDIT: Also Nightblade let's see how well YOUR operating system runs >_<
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
XP == old software for old hardware.
Win7 == new software for new hardware.

Don't expect the latest to run on the oldest.
I have a fantastic computer and I run XP. I don't see any real reason to upgrade. I stay away from the ~3 games that require DX10 and I am pretty much doin' fine!
post=120338
XP == old software for old hardware.
Win7 == new software for new hardware.

Don't expect the latest to run on the oldest.

Makes sense I guess. Unfortunately I bought the whole "Windows 7 makes your system run better" shtick. If this black screen crap keeps coming back every time I install a new game, I'll just have to go back to XP.

My machine isn't made up of Archaic parts, Core 2 Duo processor, P35 Motherboard, DDR2 Ram, but oh well - maybe it isn't suppose to make sense.
Oh, yeah I know that it isn't perfect. Problems are bound to come up when there are billions of computers out there. I was just saying it could be a lot worse. I've always had to make tweaks to my systems in order for them to be running exactly the way I wanted. I think that will always be the case. But XP had bugs that completely froze your system if you had a certain chipset. Also, the product activation (oh god). If you have ever read the horror stories on WPA, you'll know why it's the main reason there are so many pirated versions of XP out there.

I didn't get it under the impression it would magically run my system better, though (everything was fine under xp). But I didn't realize how much easier life was once I used the new taskbar in W7. Seriously, that thing is the best.
Neophyte
Problems are bound to come up when there are billions of computers out there.

And even more users oh god the users! You can fix computer problems but you can't build better users/customers!

Which means there will always be people with $$$ ready to give $$$ to people who need $$$ and know how to troubleshoot and fix computers!
post=120295
He stole the inital Os for windows from steve jobs, back when steve jobs was working at atari as a programmer.

A swing and a miss; Steve Jobs ripped the concept of a GUI-driven OS off of the GUI developed at Xerox's PARC lab, just like everyone else did.