CULTURE OF CRASS, APATHY AND CYNICISM

post=127005
post=127001
I understand that from an aesthetic standpoint, we're supposed to cut original graphic artists a break and appreciate their work because it's original, but someone else, especially someone new to the scene, isn't going to feel obligated to go 'Aww, how cute *pats original graphics on the head* I'll give this a playthrough'.
By the way I disagree with this. I don't believe in lowering standards because graphics are original.

This is not a graphics thread and I do not want it to be one but I agree with Azn. This might not be your intention Feld, but the way you phrase this makes it look like you think that people who prefer original art over rips can only do so in a condescending manner just because the rips tend to be of professionally made graphics and thus of a higher quality. The reason I'll take custom graphics, even bad ones, over rips every time is because out of the context of the original game, rips have almost no appeal for me and do not engage me or provide a new visual experience with which to uniquely relate to the game setting, which is super important! The same thing applies to music. While it's not everything in a game, recycling old material I've already seen in instead of trying to offer something I haven't only gives me fewer reasons to want to play a game.
Yeah I can appreciate that. I personally, do not care (AS LONG AS IT LOOKS GOOD: yes I am a man of simple tastes), but I can definitely appreciate that.
Its pretty much the same with me. I'll accept any tile set as long as it is well mapped (play The Cartographer if you don't think its possible to make the normally hideous VX RTP look great, though that may not be the best example as Avadan has edited the chips in alot of places to great effect)

However, I love custom graphics and will almost always think very highly of a game that has some form of customization. The same old tiles won't turn me off of a game in the least but custom graphics will get me to want to play a game I wouldn't normally download.

the same goes with music. custom is the premium but its all in the music you choose and how you use it. I will kindly ask that people at least be original if they are going to use music from other games, though. No one wants to hear another RM final boss battle that has Sepiroth's music. I cut alot of tracks I really liked out of my game (such as Smithy's first form theme) and replaced them with something else cause I felt I was using a common song in a boring and predictable way.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
For reasons of grammar this topic should be called "Culture of crass, apathetic cynics" or something because crass just CANNOT work as a noun. : /

These things bother me.
Quit being a crass, Max! You know that I am not good at grammaring.

Anywho, now that I have access to SPECIAL SECRET FORUMS I have dug up a thread on RMN's mission statement (I am so synergistically proactive!):

RMN's mission is to encourage a supportive and proactive environment for the development and enjoyment of amateur, independent computer games.

To achieve that goal the site:
1) Offers game profiles and game hosting capability
2) Strives for ease of use
3) Provides community support through a forum and IRC channel
4) Facilitates feedback through reviews and comments

RMN's vision is to become the primary site for amateur computer game development.

...or something to that effect. It was a bit of a work in progress. Any suggestions?
i'm feeling positively crassesque
I'm curious as to if there's any ideas on what the new name for the site will be. Is it going to be taken to the community to choose or is it going to be WIP chosen?

As much as I get that the function of this site is primarily to host games and facilitate game development, I think the community is important too. While forum activity should in no way be the main focus, its still something that should be encouraged for sure.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
It will be Propelo.
we have plenty of people like geodude around to keep the forums lively
post=127370
It will be Propelo.
...because we are moving away from RPGs and into small bi-plane development.
Good thing I've been brushing up on my engineering skills then :D
hello and welcome to.. geodude world..
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=127368
I'm curious as to if there's any ideas on what the new name for the site will be. Is it going to be taken to the community to choose or is it going to be WIP chosen?

As much as I get that the function of this site is primarily to host games and facilitate game development, I think the community is important too. While forum activity should in no way be the main focus, its still something that should be encouraged for sure.

GMN

Game Maker Network
......wouldn't that lead to a similar assumption about GameMaker (as rpg maker alludes to RPG Maker(the software))?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I was being facetious. =P
I thought Craze was secretly trying to make it Gay Men Network.
post=127405
I was being facetious. =P
You're so bitter all the time now it's hard to think of you as trying to be funny or facetious.
My abridged thoughts!

I want to say that I really feel what kentona has said in the OP. I remember when GW was slowly driven into the ground when the exact same thing ken said in the OP and it frightens me when the same thing has the possibility of occurring somewhere else. In my experience, while the members themselves have the responsibility to keep things rolling and active, shit also rolls downhill. When the staff and administration of an organization no longer cares (and doesn't have the courage/will/desire to pass the reigns down to someone else who does), inevitably the entire community gets infected. Of course, that's not a statement regarding RMN, the Staff does a pretty good job of keeping things fresh and they're interested in their craft.

I dunno I just wanted to toss that out there, I wish I could say more but I'm on my way to class! More later!
post=127370
It will be Propelo.

Heh, I thought this was a secret...