THE DREADED P WORD

Pages: first prev 12345 last
I sort of take an awkward 'responsibility' for my actions by just not caring. I'm just a dude making a game. I don't even try to justify it. I hope my game is fun! That's about it!
I steal from the rich and give to myself.
post=142625
I sort of take an awkward 'responsibility' for my actions by just not caring. I'm just a dude making a game. I don't even try to justify it. I hope my game is fun! That's about it!

this is the best way to think about it, by the way
post=Azn
I doubt the artist who drew the pixels for FF6 made millions of dollars from them.

I'm pretty sure several people were sacrificed to some robot overlord god in order to create the FF6 graphics.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=142622
post=142615
post=142441
i think there is a substantial ethical difference between ripping something someone has been commissioned a busload of money to create for a commercial game and ripping something a hobbyist has created for nowt for a freeware project but that is a separate issue
Yeah, that basically sums it up for me. It's just a matter of me feeling guilty or not about something. Taking something from square who makes thousands/millions of dollars off of their work and Taking something from someone who probably won't make anything and if they do, it's not necessarily in the thousands
<AriasMcGee> FUCK YOU HOW DARE YOU SAY WHAT I SAID ABOUT MYSELF

Also, hey, brackets don't work Azn!
This is the sort of argument you invent to absolve yourself. I doubt the artist who drew the pixels for FF6 made millions of dollars from them.

Making more money does not entitle you to steal their work, especially if they make their money through honest means. It just means they'll probably care less about you, but it doesn't make you any less of a thief. You're not freaking Robin Hood or something, stealing from the rich, giving to the poor.
post=142685
Rules (and therefore also mechanics) cannot be copyrighted
This is wrong. Square has patents for the ATB system (US5390937 and US5649862), for example.

Those patents are probably very closely tied to the game system and it's probably the technical aspect that is patented. Anyone is free to recreate the ATB system (the rules) using none of the assets described in the patents.

Patents are also slightly different from copyright. (Copyright is automatic and lasts for a GODAWFUL LOT OF YEARS and patents are registered and last not quite as long. 20 years or something)
Wow, great discussion, everyone! TFT, if I came across as a whiner that certainly wasn't my intention and so I apologize to everyone for that. As far the "crappy" edit goes, it was made in 2002 when I was learning to sprite, and I now create original work, mostly in 3D.

Thinking about it now, perhaps it was in bad taste to show the damn thing. I haven't really been involved in the game making community since about 2003, other than making a few graphics for other people, so if anyone thinks I'm behaving like an ass, feel free to say something. I guess I still need to pay my dues.

As for the topic, it seems like the consensus is to just deal with it. While, complacency isn't my strong suit, I have to admit that all of you have valid points. I guess I'll just leave all those concerns to my imaginary legal team, and focus on what really matters: development. But I still think it's a good idea to tag your stuff, at least for your own protection.

By the way, one of the cardinal rules of game development is "Use available resources," which is apparently a euphemism for "Plagiarize."
I remember some member (was it uh? I think it was) commented on the RM style of graphics. He is quite a talented spriter himself but he talked about how obviously he didn't start off amazing as game designers start off with "programmer art" but they improve over time through practice.

The RM community skips that whole "practice and learning" part and uses a lot of rips and whatnots.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
look at oceans dream. he came into the scene in 04 and introduced his game and he was just learning how to sprite. look at him now, making his own graphics, getting pixel jobs. I WATCHED OCEAN GROW UP FROM THE VERY FIRST POST!
practice is for squares, daddy-o
Pages: first prev 12345 last