WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

The default VX shop menu is poop so I gave it a new coat of paint:

So I got a party of 12 characters and equipment that affects more than ATK and DEF which the shop focuses on. So I made the bottom window where it'll show the difference in stats if that character equipped that item. Since there's three accessories slot it'll also try to find an empty accessory slot to dump the test item into else it'll just use the first accessory slot. You can also view the difference with all characters by using the L/R buttons in VX (Page Up/Down on the keyboard) to pan the window left or right and show the other characters.

Since the old stat diff window was replaced I changed it to show the entire party at a glance of who can equip an item and if they already have it equipped.

Extra stuff like elemental and status resistance isn't shown at all but I'll settle for that for this game. Old equipment isn't shown either, I wasn't sure between that or showing the difference of a fifth stat and went with the less effort approach.

My internal approach was half-assed, writing to the window contents bitmap instead of using sprites with a viewport to represent the contents, but fuck it, it's the VX way!

also expanded on the buying items part as well because it looked really half baked
That's like exactly what my shop menu looks like. Either we're both crazy, or we stumbled upon the next level of shop design.
I wasn't sure how to approach it so I ended up turning on Chrono Trigger, saw the character stat differences at the bottom, and realized it would be super easy to do it that way and rolled with that

At the same time I found out that you can push down and change character's equipment straight from the shop menu, I played CT 20 years ago and still play it here and there and never realized you could do that!
*kills boss with poison tick*

*boss death animation plays*

*boss sprite remains unchanged*

*game is still waiting for boss animation to start*

*opens script editor to find and fix softlock when boss dies of poison*

e: oh, looks like it's a collision of a blink and death animation. Death animation sets up the game to wait for the death animation to complete, but the poison tick triggers a blink effect as well. Since only one animation can run at the same time with the default VX implementation they overwrite the boss collapse animation and so the flag that the collapse is done never fires so the game waits for it perpetually.

e2: clearing the "do a blink/white flash" flag when starting a collapse seems to have fixed the issue, yay!
I just finished doing a mapping demo and put that on the RMW site for the birthday event and a regular demo here. Of course, I can't leave well enough alone, so I polished the maps in both. Separately. Now, I'm back-porting those changes back into the game itself.

While I don't think I will do it the way I did the demo next time, I will say it was really neat to see the differences side-by-side. Some of the changes were as simple as where I drew in some extra shadows vs. the map without the extra shadows. The old saying must be especially true for RPGMaker, the devil is in the details.
Slowly ticking away at the remainder of my final dungeons. Ever since I started work last Friday, been slower than usual. Mostly because bugtesting is a pain in the butt. I spent the entire day on one boss, which I finished today, and then finished the next boss after that (both of which are really hard, and doing both with abilities that were from 4-5 dungeons ago (the final skill shop of the game isn't in yet), so they're DOABLE if those skills aren't found/bought/etc., but very hard). Was going to do next boss...until I realize it was Alice again, which Alice fights ALWAYS somehow end up being buggy (i.e. doing 30k+ damage to the party on turn 1 and then killing herself, Defense Dolls dying then fully reviving automatically when they shouldn't, dolls self-destructing and not going away thus never being able to be revived, etc.). Ugh...and after Alice, there's still 4 more bosses left for The Void, and then a lot of bosses left for the final dungeon proper (9 total, with 2 right in a row being the final boss fight(s)).

Why is the last things of the game so looooooong in doing?! Ugh...and that's not to say anything about starting a new game and testing from the start, and making adjustments there, and all that other fun stuff. This game is never going to be finished at this rate. T-T
I have 2 more dungeons to design and I will pass it on to others to work on.
<link removed>
Just added an OpenGL plugin to three of my games. Bye bye, Direct Draw error.

Today, I made a bunch of RenPy-style sprites to my rpgmaker game, thanks to a editor. I still have to use GIMP to lower the color grade to 256 color.

I'm currently developing Arcadia Chronicle Z, a fantasy adventure game inspired by traditional 90's JRPGs like Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, Zelda, etc. It combines four key elements that I find essential in RPGs: Sweet Gear, Heavy Exploration, Character Development and Engaging Battles.

1. Gear: Extensive tiers of equipment that can be heavily modified to suit your every need. Combined with a deep skill system and elemental archetypes you can create your own character builds for any situation.

2. Exploration: Adventuring pays off. Rare items, secret bosses, side quests and hidden characters.

3. Character Development: Origin stories, vivid personalities, colorful dialogue and personal quest lines.

4. Engaging Battles: FF style STB with a host of equipment and skill combinations to customize your battle loadout. Exciting enemies with skill sets that really challenge the player.

I'll start posting some screenshots and the link once the page gets approved on here! I look forward to your feedback and suggestions toward the development of the game. I expect to have a working demo around Q4 2018.

(FULL FEATURES)
+ Traditional SNES/GBA/PS1 style JRPG
+ Story-driven gameplay focused on exploration and character builds
+ Great cast of 8 main characters
+ 3 secret characters
+ Fully customize your party with extensive gear and skill setups
+ Click on everything! Interactive environments and stuff.
+ Side-View STB Battle System
+ Ranked Battle Amphitheater
+ Learn skills through JP earned in battle
+ Master new abilities found on equipment
+ No random battles
+ Main Quests, Side Quests & Character Quests
+ 10 Elemental Temples
+ Item Synthesis and Gear Crafting
+ Gear Augmenting System
+ Storage System
+ Join Guilds
+ Discover Limit Breakers
+ Challenging Bosses and Minibosses
+ Cameos and Easter Eggs
+ Custom Stat Distribution
+ Achievements
+ Item Trade Chain
+ Colored Weapon Tiers
+ Trading Card Collecting
+ Optional Dungeons
+ Ultimate Artifact Weapons
+ Battle Summons
+ Unlockable Costumes
+ Hidden Areas
+ Randomized Loot
+ Dungeon Puzzles
+ New Game+ Mode
+ Secret Bosses
+ Timed Buff Statues
+ Personalized Menus
+ Fun Minigame Corner Extravaganza
+ High Replayability
+ 250+ Weapons, 200+ Armors, 250+ Skills, 150+ Monsters, 100 Maps
+ Maximum dungeon crawling

POSSIBLE FUTURE FEATURES
+ Day/Night System
+ Multiple Skill Trees

(GAME COVER ART)
Waxius
"Someday I'll finish my game... someday.."
That sounds Amazing Yusha! Looking forward to seeing more of this and playing the demo later this year!
Finished the world map for my 1984 inspired game.

I'm now putting down the main points in the plot in a list, so I can build the game up around them.

I'd already made some progress, but then I was trying to figure out what was going to happen next.
Waxius
"Someday I'll finish my game... someday.."
Currently working on updating the forest dungeon. I'm now using "overlay" pictures to put on top of the chipset. I'm hoping it makes the dungeon seem more like a dense forest.

The issue I was having was that all my dungeons use the same 300 or so maps put together in random ways. I change the chipset so that the level looks "different", but the forest chipset just looked bland. Adding overlays will hopefully give each level more variety.

Examples of using chipsets:

What do you think?
Drawing a sprite for Rag Rappy, as it's one of the few Forest monsters I have left to do. Rappies are one of a handful of Phantasy Star Online monsters that exist in the older Phantasy Star games as well, but the ones in Phantasy Star III were too small and simplistic, and the ones in Phantasy Star IV were far, far better than I'm capable of drawing, and would have stood out too radically in terms of quality against the rest of my graphics. Also, the design in PSO is a little different to those of the previous games anyway. So I figured I'd do it from scratch.

Still a couple of minor touch ups to do, but mostly done now. Reasonably happy with it, except that I'm finding it hard to unsee the white circles around its eyes as the whites of giant cartoony eyes instead of white fur, and that combined with the open beak and angle of the head keeps making me think of that "O RLY?" owl. :P I think playing with the brightness of a few of the white / grey pixels on the right hand side should fix that, though.

author=Waxius
Currently working on updating the forest dungeon. I'm now using "overlay" pictures to put on top of the chipset. I'm hoping it makes the dungeon seem more like a dense forest.

The dark green foliage around the edges of the path makes a huge difference here, I think! The original images looked a lot more like a canyon or something to me, but now it's unmistakably a forest. Interesting idea with the scaled picture overlays, too! Might give that a try in a project at some point. :)

I think the little trees in the centre of the path in the bottom right image look a little strange, though. I guess it clashes too much for me with the scale of the trees at the side of the path. Maybe you could try something smaller and more bush like for on the path?
I just finished and submitted a project to the Meta Game Jam a couple of days back.

It's an action RPG done in RMMV, satirising the male gaze in video games, and a bunch of other incidental things. Made in two weeks, with all original graphical assets and my own original ABS, which I might use to create a longer NES Zelda-style game at some later stage.

It'd be really great if people could hop on over to itch.io and rate it. Here's the link.

Screenshots (large):
Hey guys I'm back and I just bought Rpg Maker XP for 25$ and the activation code won't work because the game is not connected to any server so I can register my Product... I need help, I was planning on making a really cool Rpg game. I made a nearly complete game before but it got deleted when my computer crashed.

RPGMakerWeb would be a better place to get support, that's the official website of Degica or whoever's selling RPG Maker in English. If you do contact them I'd include where and when you got it from too. Unless you got a product key for Steam and you need to activate it on there maybe?
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
author=Waxius

The issue I was having was that all my dungeons use the same 300 or so maps put together in random ways. I change the chipset so that the level looks "different", but the forest chipset just looked bland. Adding overlays will hopefully give each level more variety.

Examples of using chipsets:

What do you think?

Definitely looks better this way. Remind me to check it out once you're done!

Currently working on a Custom Menu System for a new project that has barely went underway!

Using dummy stats for now, and not everything is fully implemented yet. Mainly just testing the
overall layout and usability of the Menu itself :)
Only thing I would say this early on is the transitions could be faster, even a 13 frame long zoom in of the avatars can feel a bit cumbersome. May look cool the first time but it adds up when you want to do the usual management.

I really think the best way to spiff up menus is just add some flourish *AFTER* you make the input rather than before or during. Meaning there's an instant transition but maybe an after-image effect or a lingering glow on your last selection. Something to think about anyway.