THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Ocean
Resident foodmonster
Well the tiles are from Sword of Mana so the colors were all as is from the game itself. Older GBA games tended to be brighter due to lack of backlighting.
author=Ocean
Well the tiles are from Sword of Mana so the colors were all as is from the game itself. Older GBA games tended to be brighter due to lack of backlighting.

then it should be corrected for a PC game, no?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The brighter pastel colors look more peaceful and serene.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
In much the same vein as the previous:

This last one is a shot of my world map...it's not completely up to date as I've added a tower in the northeast above the snowline. (I'm amenable to hearing ways to pretty it up that aren't "use a different tileset". I don't think it looks too bad as -is though.)

@Legion: Loving those screens. We need more of those types of games. ^.^ Perhaps 'gained', 'acquired', 'procured', 'collected', 'nabbed' or 'found' instead?
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/games/3659/screenshots/goodenough.png
Are these tools used in different situations? Because it would be sort of silly to require separate buttons for them if you're never going to use an Axe to fish or a Fishing pole to mine, for example.

Possibly, but changing the colors can also change the mood and feel of it too. I rather like the bright color scheme myself.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Make a common event that randomly chooses a different word every time you get an item.

edit: how i mine 4 fish?
Max McGee
@Legion: Loving those screens. We need more of those types of games

Thanks! (Why not Subscribe?)

author=Ocean
http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/games/3659/screenshots/goodenough.pngAre these tools used in different situations? Because it would be sort of silly to require separate buttons for them if you're never going to use an Axe to fish or a Fishing pole to mine, for example.

I've actually been waiting to explain that one!

The macros at the top are just to equip the item. Fishing, mining, or logging uses the enter key, but you need to have the correct "weapon" equipped in your weapon slot. (Obviously, a pickaxe makes a better improvised weapon than a fishing pole.) I quickly found going to the equip menu every time I wanted to switch tasks really tedious, so hence I coded the macros so you could switch to the correct tool with one button press. Problem solved! (Annoyingly, VX does not by default treat "x, y, z" as "x, y, and z". By default, "x, y, and z" are "a, s, and d" which is really confusing. Damn Japanese.

The "Press Z" on the timing minigame is temporary, since it is in fact enter/space you're pressing. I'll get around to fixing that soonish! But I don't think I will have the heart to replace allll those screenshots.

author=prexus
stuff~

The darker grass are the shadow version of the grass tiles for shadowing/shading/whatever you call it X'D So they're not really "lusher" versions. Dirt path seriously needs a make over, I agree.

author=Ocean
Possibly, but changing the colors can also change the mood and feel of it too. I rather like the bright color scheme myself.

This. I like how light hearted fantasy mana feels, and I'm 20-80 in regards to coloring the tiles (20 yes, 80 no).

@max The pedobear screenshot made me laugh :)
I'm curious at this one though, http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/games/3659/screenshots/trades.png what exactly is it?? I get you have classes and stuff but?
LockeZ
Max, personally I would just make it so you can gather resources as long as the correct tool is in your inventory, regardless of whether it's equipped. That's how most games handle it.

Regarding the world map, I think the lines of sand between the snow and grass sections need to disappear, and the beaches don't really need to cover every single shore. In, for example, FF7 or Wild ARMs, shorelines have specific parts that are beaches and the other parts where the land goes straight up to the water (in FF7 most of these are coastal cliffs). In both of those games it serves a gameplay function - boats can only be parked at beaches - but it also happens to look a lot nicer and add some more variety to the world map. I also think your cave entrances could stand to be shrunk to about one fourth their current size. You also use two different types of bridges - I see you're using one as horizontal and one as vertical, but they're both designed to be vertical bridges.
Max McGee
Basically, if you look at the main menu (see last page) you hit "Trade Skills" and you get this sub-menu. It tells you how good you are at each the four trade skills. If you hit enter at that point, you can go more in-depth. You can see how many times you've used each trade skill--they increase as you use them--and you can see what benefits you're getting from that. Basically, these three screenshots show the full sequence:

So it's actually a classless system, where you can develop the skills you value at your own pace.

This discussion really belongs on my game page, which is kind of just a heaping pile of unwarranted vitriol right now. : )

EDIT:

Max, personally I would just make it so you can gather resources as long as the correct tool is in your inventory, regardless of whether it's equipped. That's how most games handle it.

This is certainly a valid perspective, but I rather like it as is and I think I'll be keeping it that way for the time being.

Regarding the world map, I think the lines of sand between the snow and grass sections need to disappear, and the beaches don't really need to cover every single shore. In, for example, FF7 or Wild ARMs, shorelines have specific parts that are beaches and the other parts where the land goes straight up to the water (in FF7 most of these are coastal cliffs). In both of those games it serves a gameplay function - boats can only be parked at beaches - but it also happens to look a lot nicer and add some more variety to the world map. I also think your cave entrances could stand to be shrunk to about one fourth their current size. You also use two different types of bridges - I see you're using one as horizontal and one as vertical, but they're both designed to be vertical bridges.

I hate those lines of sand too, but I'm not sure how to get rid of them!

I have almost literally no idea what you mean by cave entrances. Care to explain?

I'm also not entirely sure what you mean about the bridges, but I just had a go at fixing it!

I made this to get more practice using Tiled to make VX maps and to try out the style Despain used earlier that I was interested in. Tiled takes a fair amount of time but I think the results are worthwhile. Although I can definitely see what Des was saying about the VX screensize not allowing for much on one screen.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
prexus, I think that looks really cool. If you're concerned with screen size, you should probably google "vx screen resolution script." If you don't like messing with the windows, use the Melody engine, as it auto-resizes to fit your screen.
LockeZ
author=Max McGee
I have almost literally no idea what you mean by cave entrances. Care to explain?

I'm thinking something like this:

Same graphics, just a minor edit. I'm assuming you're making this for VX and are using the RTP tiles just for simplicity. If you're making it for the trial version of VX Ace and are using the RTP tiles out of necessity, ignore this suggestion I guess.

It would also be nice if that stone obelisk were coming up through the trees realistically instead of floating on top of them, but that's a more in-depth edit.

author=Max McGee
I'm also not entirely sure what you mean about the bridges, but I just had a go at fixing it!

The bridge tiles you use are both designed to be north-to-south bridges. You're using one as a north-to-south bridge and the other as an east-to-west bridge. You just need to take the one you're using as the north-to-south bridge (on the southwestern island), rotate it by 90 degrees, and use that rotated one in place of the other two bridges.
author=Craze
prexus, I think that looks really cool. If you're concerned with screen size, you should probably google "vx screen resolution script." If you don't like messing with the windows, use the Melody engine, as it auto-resizes to fit your screen.

I'm not, this was just for practice.
Max McGee
Oh, that's a good idea about making them smaller, lemme give that a shot. I'm going to give that a try.

Still don't know how to get rid of the sand outlines. I don't like them either.

With the bridges, you just mean on the world map, right?

It would also be nice if that stone obelisk were coming up through the trees realistically instead of floating on top of them, but that's a more in-depth edit.

How do you know it's not floating on top of them? : )
More for the style of the graphics (although the first picture IS the title screen without the title screen options.)

Max McGee
Positively oozing with style. I like it!
LockeZ
author=Max McGee
Still don't know how to get rid of the sand outlines. I don't like them either.

With the bridges, you just mean on the world map, right?

Regarding the sand outline, I haven't used VX enough to know if there's a simple way. In RM2K3 you would have to create two different snow tiles - one with a sand outline and one with a grass outline - and use a lot of shift-right-clicking and shift-left-clicking to get the correct edges of the correct tiles into the correct places. In RMXP you can put autotiles on the upper layers so it would actually be really simple - you'd just put the grass on layer 1, the snow on layer 2 and the towns/caves on layer 3.

Regarding the bridges, yeah, I just meant on the world map.
Max McGee

Fixed. Huzzah for the little things.