THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

author=alterego
http://cbshothits957.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/beyonce-hospital-1.jpg?w=620Don't hospital have like VIP suits too, for celebrities and the like? Or anyone willing to fork over the money if they're available? If you goggle pictures of fancy hospital rooms you'll find many examples of it. Some even have normal beds for visitors to spend the night... But one thing I'm 'sure' of is that none of them have dinner tables. :| No matter how rich you are, if you're sick enough to be on a hospital you'll be on a strict diet for a while. And visitors would most likely eat at the cafeteria, for obvious reasons.

That is not a dinner table, though. It's just a normal table that they can put stuff on, like flowers and water bottles. And this is not even supposed to be a VIP room or something like that. :P
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
@Mr_Detective- In the end, you could just add some dialogue that one of the paitents friends asked the staff if they could set up a table since there was going to be a lot of people visiting.
Buut, really it's not that important. If it works for your game and storyline then do what feels right. This is in a future more modern world, so why not have a table? Maybe they allow it there, haha.
meisam
meisam your not using semicolon properly, and that's a laughing matter.
people have different priority.
in the end if you can create a matching atmosphere, you will succeed. though it would be a risk.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Oh yeah and meisam, I do like your map!
If its sole purpose is for the character to visit the guild houses then I see no problem with that map, and I even like the designs of the buildings that correspond to the guilds.
So, personally, I see no problem in it.
meisam
thank you. its good to know that i am not going too far.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate

Bigger:
(Froze my screen...n/m)
^^ Looks cool. Looks like a natural forest path. Although those treetrunks look a little weird, dunno if they look better in normal resolution.
LockeZ
Hospital rooms don't have couches, dining tables, cabinets or lockers. If they had room for that stuff they would use it to put more beds in the room. It's not a hotel.

You're being way too pedantic, dude. Games are about suspension of disbelief, and I'd suspend disbelief to make sure that there's enough room for interesting things to be in a scene that an important event happens in. Here are examples of hospital rooms with plenty of space and luxuries, and I didn't even have to look far down the Google Images list: here here here here and here. I mean, they aren't quite as luxurious as Detective's maps, but movies/games tend to glamorize things in general. People aren't interested in the drab, they're interested in glamour generally, especially JRPGs.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
wow gee
including a dining table in a hospital room sure suspends disbelief
meisam
it is a swamp
What if I use a different table tile, would that be any better? It isn't supposed to be a dinner table at this point. :-?

I could cut it down to this size, hopefully there would still be enough room to fill in the NPCs. :P

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah, that looks pretty nice.

author=thatbennyguy
Here are examples of hospital rooms with plenty of space and luxuries, and I didn't even have to look far down the Google Images list: here here here here and here
Uh just as a note, I'd like to point out that all of these except the one with two beds have the same amount of floor space as my 3x3 example map, or maybe like one tile more. Thanks for providing a variety of examples proving my point though?

I have a House MD avatar guys, that makes me an expert on this matter.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
@thatbennyguy: I can't help but notice that every one of those links you had were small, fairly cramped and drabby rooms. The one that included a couch looked completely unusual, at least to me. Maybe it's just because I have a knack for waking up in hospitals being asked if I know where I am, but those huge, spacious and luxurious hospital rooms certainly allow zero suspension of disbelief for me.

You can't just say "suspension of disbelief" as some buzzword and automatically have it be okay. If it doesn't suspend your disbelief then it should be addressed, and that's exactly what LockeZ was doing.

Incidentally, @Mr_Detective, that final one looks much better. Still weird with the couch, but in that room I'm sure you could get away with it with your wee crowd and dialogue.
Shrink the couch by a tile or two to make it more like a loveseat and not longer than the bed, then maybe cut the height of the room by a tile or two. Yeah this is all pretty nitpicky but that's the point of the topic. Its not really a matter of realism just what makes sense and looks the best
author=Dookie
Shrink the couch by a tile or two to make it more like a loveseat and not longer than the bed, then maybe cut the height of the room by a tile or two. Yeah this is all pretty nitpicky but that's the point of the topic. Its not really a matter of realism just what makes sense and looks the best

Sorry, no can do. The couch would look like it can only fit one person, and cramping NPCs in such a small area is incredibly bad for eventing. :|
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
I'd have to agree *in essence* that the couch should be smaller, but since the couch can't really shrink due to graphics without just becoming a chair, I'd just suggest making the bed a bit bigger or finding/making a larger bed graphic.. Hospital beds, to be fair, are actually pretty bulky fuckers, so it does look a tad odd that a couch totally dwarfs it.
author=LockeZ
Uh just as a note, I'd like to point out that all of these except the one with two beds have the same amount of floor space as my 3x3 example map, or maybe like one tile more.

Yeah, I apologize. I thought the issue was about the contents of the room, rather than the floor space. I was just giving examples where hospital rooms included couches, dining tables, cabinets or lockers. Upon second reading it was mainly the issue of space you were concerned about. Which is totally understandable. I don't mean to make enemies.

author=Brady
You can't just say "suspension of disbelief" as some buzzword and automatically have it be okay. If it doesn't suspend your disbelief then it should be addressed, and that's exactly what LockeZ was doing.
Don't you mean if it does suspend your disbelief, and every game/film/work of art's gotta stretch you to suspend your disbelief somehow. If everything was realistic, it'd be boring. Most bullets from grunts would hit the protagonist, and the hero would die within the first 5 minutes. Or whatever. Suspension of disbelief is a good thing that humans are capable, just don't test its boundaries as a developer.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
I'm not saying suspension of disbelief is a bad thing or shouldn't be used, I'm just saying not to totally do whatever you want then go "where's your suspension of disbelief, man?!" as if it's an auto-answer. Essentially, as you say "don't test it's boundaries".

Personally, a mahoosive, luxurious hospital bedroom with couches and tvs and pet tigers immediately rings false to me; I CAN'T suspend my disbeilef, which is what needs addressed, and what LockeZ was commenting on.

S'why i'm saying that latest screeny is much better; even with the odd-looking couch, you can suspend that disbelief and just accept it, enjoy it. The earlier screenies just immediately make you think "nope." and it kills the immersion.

ON THE FLIPSIDE, if it was like a power plant or something, or somewhere else I've never/rarely been, it could probably include rocks and Zapdos' and it'd look perfectly believable to me because I have no reference experience, so I suppose personal experience counts for a lot when it comes to whether or not your disbelief will be suspended or not.
meisam
i may need to say this again, you can do whatever you want with your map, but you need to have a story matching this anomalies. you never experienced a dragon, but you accept it without question or with a little npc talk "oh we have dragon in this world"

however dragon is what we saw in multiple movie and games, that's why we accept it, if you create something unrealistic, and justify it with visual or story, no problem. but if you can't you are screwed. creating an unrealistic settings need a matching atmosphere.

personally i am no writer, so i will try to use screenshot of real natural phenomena when i mapping.
edit: and that's why i post screenshots, i need it to be accepted in first view.
I couldn't find any different couch or bed tiles. Is this okay?

Should I replace the blue bed with the white one as well, or just leave two different beds in two different rooms? :P

And there is a little shadow behind the first couch that separates it from the wall, is it okay to leave it there? :D

author=Whut?
Personally, a mahoosive, luxurious hospital bedroom with couches and tvs and pet tigers immediately rings false to me;

O.O