THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=Darken
Only thing I would change is the text speed. Were you put off by the serious tone and didn't bother reading?

That's pretty much it. My mistake if the dialogue actually made sense, but it also made me want to skip ahead, which is a problem. I still think it's utterly ridiculous for there to be 10 seconds of "...." on the screen, intro or not.

I almost facepalmed.
I hate how the words 'facepalm' or 'fail' are used for anything you slightly disapprove of these days.

Me personally? Because you can read every single one of my recent posts and not find another instance of either of those words. Not me personally? Oh well, Darken has pet peeve vocabulary words

I hate the campy tone of most RPGs being made by the community
I am seriously confused by this statement. It's honestly rare that I see a game I would describe as "campy."

edit: I re-watched it and the dialogue is fine
Yeah, I guess that was not the right word. I meant... let me try to describe it. Sometimes developers try to give it an edge, to make it humorous, or something. Most of the time, they can't pull it off. In other games, supposedly with a medieval setting, things in dialogues get technical or with a contemporary feel. I don't like that.

And obviously, I think I can manage to make it feel in the right setting.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I tried cleaning up the fuzzies with Paint.NET, but for some reason MORE showed up. Also, I accidentally drew this at double the size and doodie it fast, since it was only an experiment. Anyhow this dead horse doesn't need kicking. I'll try again in XP and VX tonight.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Heh, unsurprising. The eraser is anti-aliased too, not just the brushes. To make it work in 2K3 you have to turn off the anti-aliasing, at least when working around the edges, which I fear will really hurt the hand-drawn look.
Dudesoft
Nah, I made it a flat image with a pink bg and used the pencil tool. It's possible that irfanview made the link bits, but I doubt it. I think paint.net is effed when it saves. I'll use PhotoShop next time.
these are mockups to see how well the sprites fit together more than screenshots but w/e

Dudesoft
Its odd the Canon has blue but the rest is monotone... Cool though.
WOW despain awesome!
You should call it TEEN DRACULA!
Nah but it looks like kid dracula but he's older.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=Despain
these are mockups to see how well the sprites fit together more than screenshots but w/e

I kind of love this. Castlevania plus Super Mario plus atmosphere.
I like the bats; they look pretty damn neat and really cute! :D
Its odd the Canon has blue but the rest is monotone... Cool though.

it seems a bit out of place in these images yeah, but lots of objects that you can interact with will have a single color a lot like the cannon.

glad people like it :O

the hero has earth powers; the central mechanic of the game is that she can raise a shield of stone out of the ground on the tile in front of her, which can repel enemies and stuff. other than that she can't attack and lots of the game will be about manipulating objects within the environment to defeat enemies and solve puzzles.

KAAAA MEEEE HAAAAA MEEEEE HAAA
I love it! It looks like somehow Tim Burton got a hold of the Castlevania franchise and released it in the original Gameboy console. I want moar.
I don't really see where everyone is getting the Castlevania reference. It reminds me something fierce of Cave Story. Especially in regards to the bloody thorns and the notthwomp.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Agreed, since Castlevania is dark and gothgritty but this is cute. Regardless, I like it. =D
I like it too. It actually reminds me more of a well-defined and cheery version of Limbo, but the looks is pretty unique as well.

I like the idea of the interactable objects being coloured (if I am interpreting those screenshots correctly).
author=Acra
I don't really see where everyone is getting the Castlevania reference. It reminds me something fierce of Cave Story. Especially in regards to the bloody thorns and the notthwomp.

There was a spin off of castlevania called kid Dracula which had like 2 or three games both for the original gameboy. They look similar to despains game.

(sadly I just found out linking to other sites for images does not work.)

It even had a parody of Jason vorhees from Friday the 13th. Similar to rick from splatter house or the chibi rick from Super deformed splatter house
I think it's awesome and I had no idea that the graphics are different rips. Fit very well.
author=Deacon Batista
I think it's awesome and I had no idea that the graphics are different rips. Fit very well.

i don't use rips. i make my own graphics.
They do look very professional.

I haven't posted a screenshot in a while, so I'd like to know what you guys think about the latest version of my outdoor tileset, as well as the mapping:

One problem I ran into early on with non-random encounters is what to do with open area. Currently, monsters approach the party and combat is initiated on contact. This works fine in closed dungeon rooms, but when you take things to an outdoor area suddenly every monster in a 2km radius approaches together in a giant wave of enemies.

To avoid this, I have made several different levels of elevation for this wilderness areas. The party can jump from one elevation to another, whereas the monsters can't. This will, hopefully, make crossing open areas more manageable. As always, I'd like to hear what you guys think.
Can't you just make it so that a bunch of invisible events follow the main character around. And so whenever a monsters touches one of the invisible events, they will start chasing the player? This way only monsters in the radius of the player will aggro him? I really don't know if that's possible.