THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Can't you just make it so that a bunch of invisible events follow the main character around. And so whenever a monsters touches one of the invisible events, they will start chasing the player? This way only monsters in the radius of the player will aggro him? I really don't know if that's possible.
That's an interesting idea. I have toyed with a system of 'aggro radius' before, but the problem I always ran into was how to turn the aggro off again after a certain distance.

I'm pretty sure it would be possible to script, but my Ruby scripting knowledge right now is pretty basic.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
That's really beautiful, all of it, just, isn't it a bit bare, or that's what you want?
author=Lucidstillness
That's an interesting idea. I have toyed with a system of 'aggro radius' before, but the problem I always ran into was how to turn the aggro off again after a certain distance.

I'm pretty sure it would be possible to script, but my Ruby scripting knowledge right now is pretty basic.

Do the simple thing. Make it so the monsters don't react to the events by giving them an aggro on and aggro off switch.
@chana
Thanks! Well, the map itself isn't finished yet. There will be more trees, stones, flowers, etc. as time goes on. I just wanted to get some feedback on the elevation thing.

@ArmorcladVampireBear_
The problem I run into is that the switch would have to be triggered based on where the monster is in relation to the party. This would be easy enough to do with x and y coordinates if everything stayed where it was, but since everything is constantly moving something more complex is required. I'm experimenting with event types such as, 'if monster distance is < 9 x and y squares away relative to party position, approach. If not, continue normal action.' at the moment, though there are of course some bugs to work out.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=Lucidstillness
The problem I run into is that the switch would have to be triggered based on where the monster is in relation to the party.

look for "tracking script", they exist for VX
I'm using XP, but I will give that a look. Thanks!
This is for my RS!D entry. Finally figured out what the walls should look like. There won't be any frills or anything. Just a simple character (however far I get on it) walking around inside of a simple environment. With hopefully some music too.
Posting fail.

well the pic is in my locker don't know how to post it

ok fixed it

I haven't really finished much, but I decided to post a map for the opening scene of my game. Been a while since Ive worked with RM2k3, Ill probably get alot done this Christmas. No effects and there are still some objects I havent added but here the map at its bare bones. Keep in mind the scene will be at night and the area will be a bit misty and light up by the moon when Im finished.

(Im in the works of spriting a massive tree to take the place of the blank area you see above. In this scene two characters are admiring the country they have now entered, and one hates it because of the mist and the humidity.)

If you see any mapping errors let me know so I can fix them.
author=Lucidstillness
The problem I run into is that the switch would have to be triggered based on where the monster is in relation to the party. This would be easy enough to do with x and y coordinates if everything stayed where it was, but since everything is constantly moving something more complex is required. I'm experimenting with event types such as, 'if monster distance is < 9 x and y squares away relative to party position, approach. If not, continue normal action.' at the moment, though there are of course some bugs to work out.

I made a system in my RM2K3 game where the enemy wanders around the field but starts pursuing the player if you're within ~4 steps. It ran off a simple parallel process event with the following pseudocode:
var[TargetX] = sprite[Target] X coord.

var[TargetY] = sprite[Target] Y coord.
var[TargetX] - sprite[Hero] X coord.
var[TargetY] - sprite[Hero] Y coord.
if var[TargetX] < 0
var[TargetX] * -1
if var[TargetY] < 0
var[TargetY] * -1
var[TargetX] + var[TargetY]
if var[TargetX] =< 4
switch[TargetClose] = ON
else
switch[TargetClose] = OFF
wait 0.0

In the enemy event, have one page for TargetClose = ON where the enemy follows the player, and a page with no preconditions for it to wander around. Using this code the enemy will stop pursuing after you exit the radius, which can be used for simpler monsters. My laptop is dying so I'll edit this post with a better explanation later but I hope this helps a little!

Yes, I have a similar code for RM 2k3. There is a tutorial here on the site; if you're close to the enemy, then, bam, aggro'ed.

As to your screenshot, I feel the cliff is too unnatural, too square. Nature is a bit more random.

@Ashley: It seems you map tile is an edit from one of the RTP mapsets. While I think taking the time and effort to customize graphics is time and effort well spent, these still feel to RTPish, and in my book, not good enough. However, the mapping itself, with different levels and elevations is good!
@Tree Eater
That looks like a more streamlined version of what I've been trying to write. I think I'll try something like it in XP and see how well it works. Thank you!

@Large
I suppose I can add a few more indentations and diagonals to make things look more organic as I continue to add to the map. Thanks!

@Ashley_Lacure
The mapping looks quite nice, though some of the plants on the diagonal rock faces look a bit off to me. The lighting of the map also looks like it is lit by daylight, but the panorama suggests otherwise. I suggest applying a screen tint to the area to make the lighting match.
@Ahsley I like the mapping, but as some other users said, the cliff doesnt look natural. Aside from that good work.

Thoughts?
Tau
RMN sex symbol
The background is very lovely and detailed, but the Ryu sprite to me doesn't fit too well in it. Also is Goku even in the screenshot?
Hey guys it's been a while, I've made some progress on Eden Gate. Please check out the page here on RMN if you're interested. http://rpgmaker.net/games/3598/

So here is a new pic, it's a custom Hero Name system I created.

@Felipe: That looks pretty cool, my only complaints are the "score -1" image looks strange having a lot of "noise" to it I'd make it smoother with a bit of bevel like the images for the Name...Ryu, Goku. Also the portraits are too transparent you can't see what should be visible very well. Finally I would have the sprites for the characters in the front and not blocked by objects...like the trees. I'd recommend having transparencies in the coding to make them see through if you want to add different layers to the 2d design. Other than that I like the map a lot. Is it edited or ripped from a dbz game?

@Large: Thanks for the comment man. The game itself is all RTP, I like the RTP style a lot and I will be making edits to compensate for the things that the original RTP lack. I'll eventually make a topic for the game hopefully it will change your perception of RTP.

@Lucidstillness: Thanks man, I said earlier "Keep in mind the scene will be at night and the area will be a bit misty and light up by the moon when Im finished." But I have a lot of school work left to finish so Ill try and finalize this scene and present it properly. Also in terms of the plants on the rocks, Ill have to resprite then, they look like clumps of different shades of green as opposed to plants, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

@Felipe_959: Yea the cliffs are a bit unnatural I feel like that is attributed to the tile, but then again I will modify them to resemble something more realistic.

@Lotus_Games: Happy to see you're still around the community, Im assuming you were a user on Gaming World that used a lot of pre-rendered graphic. The game looks great and I like how you are using many custom systems however I feel as if you could polish the attack animation when fighting, probably shift the animation up a bit so it remains level with the original sprite.

@Tau: Yeah, but he is dead xD
@Felipe: I like the screenshot, but some of the comments already posted convey my feelings. Sprites my stand out too much.

@Lotus: I like it... but some of the letters have different sizes and that looks inconsistent.
@Ashley: I was indeed, I don't recognize your name though, what did you go by in GW? Also thanks! As per the animation I tried to shift the pixels up a bit but when I did that it didn't look like he was thrusting his spear properly (Using his legs to be grounded in order to thrust his arms and upper back forward), I can try again but I'm not sure what else to do in regards to the animation.

@Large: I'm not sure what to say, all the fonts are the same type and size in that screen. You may be referring to the difference in size between the Upper Case and Lower Case letters and if so that was done on purpose...
@Lotus the Score -1 haves that creespie texture in purpose. The portraits looks transparent because Goku died in the bottom of the stages. When a character enter into the Character's portrait ratio they turn transparent.

About the trees, they appear above the Characters because the layout is not the plain walkoff int he front, this the layout: