THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Actually, it baffles me how you guys at 20000000 step tiles after the stairs stop. It just looks stupid. :/
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
Realism looks stupid, you say?

Each to their own.
I think I already addressed it early...
Oh no! I need climbing gear in a world filled with monsters, clothes that enhance my magics, wizards trying to take over the world with mind-control spells and crazy-ass floating islands. Frankly, suspension of belief for pretty things works fine for me. I'm not gonna measure the height of every step to see if it matches the incline exactly or wonder where the water from the waterfall that falls from the sky above is coming from or why those purple plants are glowing or why the pretty fairy is raping me with her fey majicks.

I guess some people feel the need to question every little detail but that, to me, looks like it's just ruining the fun of the escapism. ^.^

What matters most is keeping it continuous all the way through the game, really.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
author=Brady
Realism looks stupid, you say?

Each to their own.

realism is stupid

try making something with astro-turf and see if you don't think reality is stupid
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Since you're already using cartoon graphics, realism should take a backseat to what actually looks good :)

---

I got the basics of a mid-game menu working! The actual window sprites are still gross, though; I'm using placeholder stuff for now. But I think the layout makes sense - you press Left and Right to switch between Weapons/Items/Relics submenus, and Up and Down to scroll through whatever submenu you have currently selected.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
Love the Voodoo Doll icon~

Anyhoo:
Using lack of photorealistic graphics to justify an absence in realism is a pretty piss-poor excuse, tbh.

If that's the case, why don't we just use Escher drawings as maps for all our games instead? Why bother having all these mapping tutorials about forests being spread our and sporadic to appear natural and realistic?

We're not talking about the stairs themselves actually LOOKING real, we're talking about the fact that the character is walking up a vertical wall. There might as well not even BE any stairs if we're going by your logic. Why not just let the character walk up all walls? Or on roofs? Or upside down?

Now if you'd rather put a rope or ladder instead of stairs, fine; but I don't see why you'd rather have vertical stairs "because realism is stupid", because vertical stairs....look utterly stupid o.o
Heh; 'Realism' is always an important consideration to have. We all conform to it to some extent. That's probably why your game is not 'full' of crazy random things happening all the time, even if 'some' crazy things, such as Magic, are possible...

In this case I don't know to what extent we're actually discussing 'realism' rather than 'aesthetics' though. I mean, if you're after a certain level of visual depiction (and this is independent from graphic styles, too) you can get away with things like houses that are twice as big on the inside than they look from the outside, objects with different perspectives, or a limited color palette, etc.

But if you're making an effort to represent things as accurately as possible, having stairs protrude farther away from the wall the taller they get, is really the way to go. Up until the point in which it actually becomes impractical, is the most reasonable and aesthetically pleasing solution of the two... I guess the real problem is that people never got used to see that in old fashioned RPGs?
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
We finally bothered submitting a Profile Page so we can join in the RSW event. Looking at getting at least the first couple of sections available after that.
Also finished making the visual-sound-effects and wanted to show them off 'cuz I think it's so fun, but screenies don't really look as good since it's animated :(
This is how the comic panels would look in game, although some will have more animation and such.
Still need to tart them up a bit though, but won't be doing that until after all panels have been finished.

This started as a replication of the Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru battle system, but turned into a menu somehow.

@TDS
Why is the Ocarina of Time called a Flute? At least call it an ocarina!
Fun fact: I've never played LoZ:OoT
Hesufo
I am pretty interested in hooking up sometime. Screw me.
author=wildwes
@TDS
Why is the Ocarina of Time called a Flute? At least call it an ocarina!
Fun fact: I've never played LoZ:OoT

Looks like you've never played A Link to the Past, either

BTW This is the playable part of the Overworld for the first Demo I'll have ready for my project.

It features random battles at a medium-high rate, but dirt roads are encounter-free:

A picture of something I've been working on for a few days:

Along with the associated cutscene-picture-thing:

@Hesufo Not bad! I like how open it is.
Hesufo
@Arandomgamemaker:

That looks very nice, and the cutscene rocks, as well! However, the guard sprite looks a bit bare, and you should try to match the prisoner's sprite to how it looks in the cutscene - the sprite has too much black.
author=Hesufo
Looks like you've never played A Link to the Past, either

Correct! Though I am actually looking for that game! Haven't found it yet...

Anyway, screenshots for a WiP magic forest type map:

Edit: By the way, I noticed a couple errors, but it is a WiP, so those will get fixed!
There are almost no landmarks in that forest except for that one river. Nothing that says "magic forest" to me either. Add something that sets it apart from all the other RTP forests!
author=SnowOwl
There are almost no landmarks in that forest except for that one river. Nothing that says "magic forest" to me either. Add something that sets it apart from all the other RTP forests!

I'm planning on making it a maze the farther you get in. What do you suggest I add?
A big magic tree. A magic pond. Some kind of sparkly magic flowers. Some kind of wildlife (magic forests should have plenty of wildlife). Weird plants. Y'know, magic nature stuff.
Hesufo
I'm planning on making it a maze the farther you get in. What do you suggest I add?

Well, anything that won't make the player go "where the fuck am I" or "where the fuck am I supposed to go" and become lost for a good couple of minutes, with no clear landmarks to orientate themselves. It's happened to me in some RM games and it's plain frustrating...

I hope you didn't add random battles to the equation, either.

Other than that, yeah the different tinting gives off the magicky vibe, but it needs a bit more!
Elevation and depression would be nice, too. Not just flat land. You could have a large depression with fairy houses or a witches hut or something mystical in the middle. It'd be inaccessible, but look pretty neat~

For example: Very Large Image (probably best to open in another tab)

Also, just showing:

Thanks Libby and Hesufo! It is a WiP, I'm actually going to add such things that you all mentioned. Plus, that area is just past the forest entrance, so it isn't very far in. The farther in you get, the more magical it gets because you'll be getting closer to where the magic fairies are! And I have touch encounters too, because I dislike random encounters.

Thanks for the advice! Y'all actually gave me some ideas I hadn't even thought of and I'll probably implement those in some way! Thanks!

And the snowy map looks pretty awesome Libby. :)