THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

author=LockeZ
Why can't you use touch encounters? Paper Mario did, and it's the only side-scrolling RPG I can think of.

Paper Mario had the advantage of a third dimension, the ability to jump and varying heights. Since all you can do is walk left and right in my project, you wouldn't be able to avoid normal touch encounters.

That's why every encounter is pre-determined and unique. Enemies don't repeat, so essentially every monster is a mini-boss.
@Schwer-von-Begriff: The bathroom is huuuuggge. Far to large, if you don't plan to add significantly more items or an enemy encounter.

@Topic:
Menu improvements are pretty much done, only statistics and options are still WIP.
Added an animated background, icons and bars as well as some submenus.

Old one:
Here
@LockeZ: As I said, NOTHING is finished. Since I am creating every tile myself I am just testing around what looks good and what not. I know that the sink is missing. I know that the checkerboard wallpaper isn't tiling correctly. I know that not even 20% of my tiles and objects are finished - I'm just showing the progress that I am making.

Basically all I am doing right now is showing what my tiles look like. And how everything adds together with my characters. It's not much, but hey, I have to start somewhere. =)

@Pizza: (Awesome username btw. xD) Really interesting choice of designing your game. I really like the character portraits, they have something even though they look so simple. :D

@Lihinel: Both of those rooms aren't actually maps that will appear in-game. They are just test-maps. =)
author=LockeZ
Looks like so far so good. Slimes aren't centered on the tiles, and you should have a comma in that dialogue, but I assume you have bigger issues to worry about at this point like getting the systems working.

Yeah, pretty have no story content made yet, just tests for the systems. Most of the systems are nearly complete already though. It's pretty much a tbs engine or starter kit atm.

author=unity
This looks great so far! I'm also curious about what engine you're working with :D

I'm using rpg maker vx ace with gtbs. I modified few of the scripts to my liking, like the menus. Also got rid of the screen map rotation since it was giving issues with offset on events. Might re imply or leave it without that feature and give a ffta2 feel.

author=Jurassic_Mark
Part of me really wants to make the rest of the Oneirophrenia maps like this, alas there aren't many tiles that have a total side-view perspective. Admittedly, they might not be too difficult to make.

This looks good, except the whitish outline on the wall makes it hard to blend with the background.
unity
You're magical to me.
I have a question about how this looks. I noticed that VX Ace has the whole "twirl the screen and make that the battle background" similar to VX if you don't have a background specified. So I was thinking "what if I put in a semi-transparend battlefield between the swirl-background and the enemies?" And this is what I came up with:

This is a simple version: I'd like to fix this up to make it look more like the floor is glass and give a more textured feeling to the whole thing. But first I want to ask the very basic question of: "Does this look awful?"

Putting aside the unfinished state of the transparent battleground, does having the screen swirled like this behind it work? It'd save me a lot of time if I didn't have to make backgrounds for every area, but I can't decide if it looks right. (Just for comparison sake, here's the way the background was before:)

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
It's hard to tell what's going on, I can't see anything that looks semitransparent in the screenshot. It would probably be more obvious with a video; otherwise I can't tell what you did. All I see is the brown background.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=LockeZ
It's hard to tell what's going on, I can't see anything that looks semitransparent in the screenshot. It would probably be more obvious with a video; otherwise I can't tell what you did. All I see is the brown background.

Sorry about that, I didn't explain that very well at all. Let me use these screenshots to illustrate.

Normally, in VX Ace, when no battle background is chosen, it'll distort the colors from the map you're on into a background, like this:

Then I added this image over it (the blue background is so the picture will show up:

The resulting image is something like this:

Does that make more sense?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Ah, I get it. I'm not sure it's better than the swirly background by itself. It's a little different at least though.
unity
You're magical to me.
Hmm. How about the normal background I had before it?

Do you think the new one is overall better or worse than that one?
On one hand, I like the idea of the "glass floor" in combination with VX's color distorting(though I dislike the circle it produces). On the other, I think the "normal" one you used before it works fine. I'd personally prefer that one to the glass floor.

This is the "new"(and not quite finished) race select screen from my project. When it's completely finished the text will be centered(there's a lot of text to go through and change) and it'll be a bit more polished. The race name text will hopefully not be as blurry(side effect of RM2K3 doubling the image size - probably switching to pictures to prevent that).
@unity they're interesting, but neither of them are quite there, I think if you work a bit more on your layers it'll be nice.

@Rast OMG I SMELL FFL
THIS IS ZAWESOME <3 ;___;

EDIT: btw i think it'd make more sense if monsters were the bulkier ones, and humans specialized in offense instead. but that's just me

EDIT2: i also quite don't get why robots can zap magick better than humans but it's your world and game, so there must be a reason, even if it's just god's will so i'll stop editing to pinpoint unproductive things
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Rast
On one hand, I like the idea of the "glass floor" in combination with VX's color distorting(though I dislike the circle it produces). On the other, I think the "normal" one you used before it works fine. I'd personally prefer that one to the glass floor.

author=JosephSeraph
@unity they're interesting, but neither of them are quite there, I think if you work a bit more on your layers it'll be nice.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with the earlier background and maybe make an extravagant multi-layed battleback that uses the swirly background for a special dungeon, perhaps the final one.

author=JosephSeraph
@Rast OMG I SMELL FFL

I second this opinion. Yay for FF Legend/Saga stuff! :D
@Rast: Could the window or bar colours be changed to not so an eye-bleeding colour match please? >.<;
Bar that, looking neat~
author=JosephSeraph

@Rast OMG I SMELL FFL

EDIT: btw i think it'd make more sense if monsters were the bulkier ones, and humans specialized in offense instead. but that's just me

EDIT2: i also quite don't get why robots can zap magick better than humans but it's your world and game, so there must be a reason, even if it's just god's will so i'll stop editing to pinpoint unproductive things

Based off FFL, yes. Robot stats aren't set(aren't even playable yet) and will be customizable, so I'm not sure how I'll display that. Humans are the bulky ones, with the most HP and the ability to equip anything. Monsters have less HP and can't equip (most) armor and weapons, so they have naturally high attack to compensate. I'd go on, but this is about screenshots, not technical details XD.

author=Liberty
@Rast: Could the window or bar colours be changed to not so an eye-bleeding colour match please? >.<;
Bar that, looking neat~

Got any color suggestions? Perhaps a darker blue? I'm trying to keep it somewhat simple and uniform, something you'd see in an older NES/GBA game. The generic blue color(which you see in like, 99% of older console RPGs) just sort of stuck with it, so I haven't really ventured to test out different colors.
author=Rast
Got any color suggestions? Perhaps a darker blue? I'm trying to keep it somewhat simple and uniform, something you'd see in an older NES/GBA game. The generic blue color(which you see in like, 99% of older console RPGs) just sort of stuck with it, so I haven't really ventured to test out different colors.
Lowering the saturation of everything (especially the background blue and the red) would help.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
@Rast - Same Rast from back in the day with Dragon Destiny?

Since I dont want that to be the only thing I post here's an old screenshot from my old game.

@Tau - Nope, different Rast.

My only complaint about that screenshot is that the grass on the cliffs really blend in with the grass below. A little hard to see depth, though the darker grass helps out with that. It's not a big issue though, and the visible portion of the cliff near the rock helps with that.
Learning how to art by myself is fun

I like Lone Survivor okay
@Tau that's a pretty train~~ <3 <3

@Rast, now that I think of it, The highly saturated blue doesn't match the grayish palette of the character sprites. If you wanna try oldschool, then try reading a bit about NES limitations, and limit yourself to that, it'll make everything more coherent 8D

@Jurassic_Mark Although I saw a few pixel-art errors (mainly at the bed sheets, yet one could argue about the chair, too) that's a nice, atmospheric and beautifully textured map. <3
<3 and I love platformers in rm <3
Yeah it was my first time doing pixel art from scratch, so I was kinda winging it mostly haha.