WHICH GAME WAS THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTEMENT FOR YOU?

Title says it all, I recently remember how I got burned terribly by one game after being excited about it the moment it was announced.

Talking about Hellgate:London. After it's announcement, I, as a Diablo fan, was searching for any info regarding that game, since it was being developed by some of the same people who created Diablo. With Diablo 3 nowhere in sight, and no other decent similar games to play, I was reeaaally looking forward to that game.
Got into beta, and loved every moment of it. I preordered it. Then it arrived. Then I played the *** out of it. But once I got further into the game, it was obvious this was no substitute for my loot-craving soul, my hack and slashing needs.....

The game was repetitive. Buggy. Before a few patches, even unfinishable. The random dungeon generator was boring, and levels soon started to feel (and look) the same. Then came the subscriptions, monthly fees, and even lifetime subscriptions, which many people actually bought, before realizing the game was bland, unpolished, broken, and lacked content. Not to mention, single-player players were getting their patches too late, long after they were put on the multiplayer client (the game had different SP and MP versions).

Then Flagship Studios sinked to the bottom of the ocean, even with all the money they squeezed from people with their promises of "next diablo". The online servers and all the online-only content for subscribers (and all the lifetime subscribers) went offline, never to be seen again. Many people got screwed over. (luckily I didn't care for the multiplayer)

What could have been a game better than Diablo 2 itself, turned out to be a major disappointement. Since then I tend to be careful before getting excited about new games.

It's sad really, the game in it's core was fun and had so much potential.

Oh well.... Any of you experienced something similar ?
That is what terrifies me about online games (or games that require some sort of online verification before you can play, even single-player). What happens if the company sinks? You're kind of screwed. Or hell, even more pedestrian - what if you don't have internet access for whatever reason?

Sometimes I do long for the old days, where you have a cartridge in your hand, and the developer had to damn well test the shit out of their game, since you can't patch. dang kids get off my lawn!

As for the topic at hand... I don't get excited for games much these days. I am looking forward to diablo 3 (since D2 was the greatest game ever made) but I am content to wait.

The most recent Big Disappointment for me was probably C&C3. I couldn't get into it like I did the original C&C. (I should have known though, since C&C: Tib Sun was also a big disappointment for me).

Also, I was a little disappointed with Civ4, as it seemed to me that the game played itself. Too much shit was going on and as such the game was designed to manage a lot of it. So I kind of just sat back I clicked mindlessly, my decisions (when I had to make them) seemingly of little consequence.
I try not to get hyped for upcoming games. Generally that is the root of disappointment. I never research up stuff on games I am looking forward to (GW2, Skyward Sword, etc.) and games I am looking forward to are made by developers I "trust" or are just good no matter what sequels. So I would be immune to this stuff.

But fuck there are always rare exceptions. I bought No More Heroes 2 based on loving the original so much, but man the later half the game felt like shit. Complete lack of memorable bosses, ending was like... "that's it? no crazy MGS2-like turn around?" last boss was just some unimportant character with bullshit tactics. Some core mechanics were fixed but the bulk of the content just felt weak. I wasn't expecting much in content... but it didn't even deliver good story either. Maybe the game didn't have enough budget, or Suda51 ran out of weed. All I know is that it felt rushed and incomplete.
The biggest disappointment that I can recall right now was Twilight Princess. Being Zelda, I naturally expected that it would be at least pretty good. By god, that game is AWFUL. It's far too easy most of the time, and when it does get hard it usually jumps up to some frustrating levels. The story was pretty okay until it got hijacked by Ganon like 15 minutes before the end (Which has the record for me of most disappointing turnout in a plot).

What bothers me is that it definitely could have been something, they just destroyed it with the messed up difficulty and addiction to including Ganondorf in everything (Zelda related) they make.

Others that were kind of disappointing were Pokemon Platinum, Metoid Prime 3, Dragon Age and the last three Final Fantasy games (duh).
One big disappointment, that is fairly recent (or... "recent" it's like 2009) is probably Empire: Total War. It was a day one purchase for me and I put in a fair amount of hours into that game but despite its glossy exterior the game just wasn't the awesomeness I first thought it would be. And you know. I don't own Shogun 2 yet because of Empire.

In the end I did spend way over 70 hours on Empire so I guess it wasn't exactly bad. But you know... I probably have bigger disappointments lying around somewhere.
Final Fantasy 14. I preordered that game just to get a headstart, but that game was a disaster of monumental proportions.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Fable was not really a disappointment to me, per se, but definitely a failed game.

Alpha: Protocol was a pretty big disappointment for me. There are others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
Not too recent, but i was disappointed when Brawl was launched. I am a melee a player and i was expecting something like melee, a hardcore game. But i got a game for noobs, without gravity that doesn't require any ability to play and with random things thats screw everything (Tripping wtf)
author=Felipe_9595
Not too recent, but i was disappointed when Brawl was launched. I am a melee a player and i was expecting something like melee, a hardcore game. But i got a game for noobs, without gravity that doesn't require any ability to play and with random things thats screw everything (Tripping wtf)

Smash Brothers was never supposed to be a hardcore game. Your expectations are ridiculous. Melee was 'hardcore' when people decided to abuse wave dash glitching, disable every item in the game, and regulate the stage selection down to a single digit. You think the developers planned or wanted that?

I agree tripping is dumb because it also affected the regular players. Probably the worst way to give the middle finger to tournament enthusiasts.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Twilight Princess
Smash Brothers Brawl
Spore
author=Darken
author=Felipe_9595
Smash Brothers was never supposed to be a hardcore game. Your expectations are ridiculous. Melee was 'hardcore' when people decided to abuse wave dash glitching, disable every item in the game, and regulate the stage selection down to a single digit. You think the developers planned or wanted that?

I agree tripping is dumb because it also affected the regular players. Probably the worst way to give the middle finger to tournament enthusiasts.

Melee is hardcore. period

Edit: and yes, wavedash was intended

"Nintendo Power: This is one that a lot of hardcore Smash Bros. fans have long wondered about. Was the ablility to "Wavedash" in Melee intentional or a glitch?

Sakurai: Of course, we noticed that you could do that during the development period. With Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it wasn't a matter of, "OK, do we leave it in or do we take it out?"
We really just wanted this game, again, to appeal to and be played by gamers of all different levels. We felt that there was a growing gap between beginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. It wasn't a big priority or anything, but when we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody, it just made sense to take it out. And it also goes back to wanting to make something different from Melee and giving players the opportunity to find new things to enjoy."
I think my entire post flew over your head.
"Smash Brothers was never supposed to be a hardcore game. Your expectations are ridiculous. Melee was 'hardcore' when people decided to abuse wave dash glitching, disable every item in the game, and regulate the stage selection down to a single digit. You think the developers planned or wanted that?

I agree tripping is dumb because it also affected the regular players. Probably the worst way to give the middle finger to tournament enthusiasts."

Wavedash was intended, i explained it above
They can be turned off hurp durp is not like we are hacking the game to disable them.
Smash have different layout for stage, in change, other games (cought Street fighter Cought) are all plain stage with different bgs.

And yes, Sakurai sayd melee was hardcore, he created it pointing to that direction.

“I had created Smash Bros. to be my response to how hardcore-exclusive the fighting game genre had become over the years,” Sakurai said. “But why did I target it so squarely toward people well-versed in video games, then? That’s why I tried to aim for more of a happy medium with Brawl’s play balance. There are three Smash Bros. games out now, but even if I ever had a chance at another one, I doubt we’ll ever see one that’s as geared toward hardcore gamers as Melee was. Melee fans who played deep into the game without any problems might have trouble understanding this, but Melee was just too difficult.”
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
This topic is about "Which game was the biggest disappointement for you?" Not "Which game was the biggest disappointement for you (?) and then get butthurt over someone stating their opinion and causing a flame war!"
I didn't deny Melee being hardcore. I said Smash Bros in general wasn't supposed to be hardcore.

As it says in the first quote it was a glitch discovered during development on accident, and was just left in there. I like how you post 2 quotes of Sakurai explictly stating he wanted to move Smash Bros away from the competitive scene, and just make it a simple party fighter. He doesn't care about making the game tournament viable.

They can be turned off hurp durp is not like we are hacking the game to disable them.
Smash have different layout for stage, in change, other games (cought Street fighter Cought) are all plain stage with different bgs.

People can play the game however they want but my point is that all of these regulations make it some like some homemade variant. Games like Blazblue or Street Fighter are designed to be tournament based. Even if they had complicated stages or special items, they would have been designed and balanced for the overall game.

You were expecting a game that was never going to exist. It's like expecting Skyrim to be completely linear.
Pokemon is played as a competitive game, but there are regulations for how is played. The same runs for smash.
The Last Remnant. I didn't think that it was going to suck so hard since the reviews weren't really awful.

I regret ever buying it.
PC or XBOX360 version? I heard the PC version fixed a lot of the issues in the 360 version.
Twilight Princess, Shadow Hearts 3 (not a bad game but i wish they would have toned down the monkey cheese shit a little bit), Bayonetta, Bulletstorm, Drakengard 2, Unlimited Saga, Okami, Guilty Gear 2 Overture, FF14, Suikoden 4, SMT Strange Journey... this list could go for a very long time!

also The Last Remnant and Alpha Protocol own wtf
author=GreatRedSpirit
PC or XBOX360 version? I heard the PC version fixed a lot of the issues in the 360 version.

PC. I bought it on Steam.