WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

author=Fugue
i am having trouble understanding the difference between this topic and the 'watchu working on' topic

The other topic is for things that people are actually working on and implementing in their current projects. THis one is for simply sharing ideas.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Currently flipping my shit because I have no idea how to make a player face towards an event.
author=Nightowl
Currently flipping my shit because I have no idea how to make a player face towards an event.

Place an invisible sprite over the other event. Have it face the hero.
If the invisible sprite faces down for instance, have the hero face up. If it faces left, have the hero face right, etc.
Delete the invisible sprite afterwards.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Avee
author=Nightowl
Place an invisible sprite over the other event. Have it face the hero.
If the invisible sprite faces down for instance, have the hero face up. If it faces left, have the hero face right, etc.
Delete the invisible sprite afterwards.

!

God, I was writing a response using variables and algebra, but this is so much simpler.
Nightowl
I think a variable version would be much more convenient, because I'm making a Dark Cloudesque targeting system.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Ya need four variables then (well you could do it with two, but this way is clearer to understand and has fewer branches).

var1 set equal to event x-coor
var1 subtract hero x-coor
var2 set equal to event y-coor
var2 subtract hero y-coor
var3 set equal to var1
branch if var3 < 0
var3 multiply -1
end branch
var4 set equal to var2
branch if var4 < 0
var4 multiply -1
end branch

Now you've got them set to the values you need: dx, dy, |dx|, and |dy|. So let's branch based on those values, and turn the hero accordingly. Basically we are first checking if the x or y distance is greater, and then checking which way to turn on that axis.
branch if var3 > var4
branch if var1 > 0
turn hero right
else
turn hero left
end branch
else
branch if var2 > 0
turn hero down
else
turn hero up
end branch
end branch
grrarg. i was on track to actually finishing my cute little fantasy game in like two or three weeks maximum. now this halloweenie context comes along and now i'm tempted to set that project aside (let's be honest, indefinitely, because whenever you set anything aside there's at least some chance you never come back to it at least if you're me) to start a new "spooky scary' one for the contest.

curses! rmn why u do this to me.
Nightowl
Alright, thanks Locke.
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
Looks like I'll need to try a different tack to make my title screens and stuff since GIMP seems to be on the fritz.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
The weakest physical attacker in my Halloween project can put out more Phys damage than the strongest physical attacker.

(It's actually pretty difficult to get her to that point, but if you can do it you deserve the insane damage. For comparison, the skill in question can get its Attack modifier up to 6.21x (actually more on its first hit, but then it'd remove Sleep and become 6.21x). Argent, on the other hand, can put out a consistent 4x Attack modifier attack. Still... these exorcist chicks are crazy.)
I'm imagining something like how I'm going to implement the Death spell equivalent in my game. Damage rises exponentially for each status condition?
Trying to figure out how to go about setting up a random variable which determines whether or not a killer appears in the same room as you for my Horror Game, allowing the game to be different for each play-through.
And how to make a scene have for of a scary impact.
LockeZ
Best way to do something like that might be, at the beginning of the game, set a variable to a random number, and that number determines which room the killer is in. Otherwise you could get multiple killers, get no killers, or get different results when re-entering a room you just left.

As for scary impact, it's all about the build-up. Create tension, and you will make the player jump. If you're looking to create something fundamentally terrifying instead of just a scary impact, that's when you have your work cut out for you.
If you're looking to create something fundamentally terrifying instead of just a scary impact, that's when you have your work cut out for you.

indeed. a few rpgmakar games do this weel tho.

dezz i once tried to make a project like you're talking about and nearly went insane in the process

gl!

~~~

speaking of going insane, i'm having an oddly specific game design problem. namely i can't stop obsessing over sound design and being an obnoxious perfectionist about getting every little scripted sound exactly right (mainly this involves a lot of trawling sound dogs and tweaking in audacity). it's the kind of thing that no one will ever actually notice upon playing the game, and it's taking forever and making game design super duper slow going.
I had an idea for a stat/dice roll based 2d rpg beat 'em up. Instead of automatically getting hit when an enemy well, hits you, it would do a quick stat check. The player would have an option to block as well as evade, based on which of two buttons they use for defense. Using the block would check the character's strength & endurance against the enemy attack, and block damage if the check passes, but at the cost of some attack power. Using the evade option would use the character's reflex/speed stat. If their roll beats the enemy's, they automatically dodge the attack at a stamina cost.

Or, it could happen automatically (to free up some buttons for combos). When an enemy attack is incoming, the game checks the player's speed/reflex stat. If it passes the check, the attack is automatically avoided. If not, then strength is checked to see if a last chance block will succeed. A properly built character would look like a total master, able to stand there and block, parry, slip enemy attacks all day.

Possibly even allow enemies to critically fail, resulting in an instant counter attack that serves as the opening for a unique combination.

Of course, if the enemies can do the same thing it leads to that annoying territory where you're clearly hitting the enemy (or at least pressing the right button at the right time) but not getting anywhere. I guess if I'm freeing up buttons by making defense automatic, I could use different attacks and implement a resistance system where certain attack types gain bonuses to hit or damage rating against certain types of defenses. Of course this means I need a way to switch defenses or "styles".

Using Z & X for the attack buttons and Shift as a modifier that lets me choose between defense options, the system would work without having to bind a bunch of extra keys.

The things I think of when I take my dog out for her nightly walks.
Craze
mmmmeh.

what you have sounds like a fighting game simulation that you watch play out, especially with the instant counters and bleh.

go play dissidia 012 and then come back
The auto-counter would only trigger when an enemy critically failed a roll.

Had to read an article on Dissidia since I've never tried one of them before. Squaresoft: Putting RPG characters in fighting games since 1998.

Anyway, I tend to go overboard on the defense side any time I deal with a remotely fighting related game. I made a fighting game demo (one character) that lacked any sort of block function, but allowed the player either back out of the way or completely avoid incoming attacks by pressing both kick buttons right as the attack was about to connect. The character would dodge into the background and gained automatic attack priority for their next move, which allowed the strongest attack (which had the longest animation) to preempt even the quickest jab.

After a few interesting rounds, my testers (a friend and his roommate) settled in a pattern of evade, power attack, repeat. I shortened the window for the evade move and made it possible to evade the prioritized power attack, but that just made a bigger mess.
Craze
play dissidia 012
Fighting game mechanics without real time movement just won't do. I've tried for years and never came up with a balanced, unbroken and enjoyable system.

What you're talking about sounds more like a rock-paper-scissors or D&D kind of game to me. Those are way easier to pull off.
trying to get rid of the bug in my 2k3 game that freezes the character. grr...