WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Currently I'm thinking of a simple project I could make with game maker. Was thinking a "Never-ending boss battle" type game.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Enemies no longer interpret "take two turns" as "take turns until the party loses." This is good.
BizarreMonkey
I'm probably gonna stop using RPG maker, nothing cement yet but for now consider all my projects cancelled.

I'm 26 and I'm still using a toy engine. So now my thoughts are on what I'll make in game maker, some simple stuff to begin with obviously.

An RPG game with only one button.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
So what, the cursor would automatically cycle through menus with lists of skills, and you'd have to time it correctly? And then do the same thing to choose a target?

I mean, I guess you could also do it like FF: All The Bravest, where there's only one button because each character only has one possible action, and the target is random. The only control the player has in that game is how much to grind before moving on. That sucked ass though. I can say without any exaggeration that it was the worst RPG in the history of video games, no exceptions.
BizarreMonkey
author=Ralphrius
You mean, like

this game right here?
this is the most amazing thing ive ever played.

also gonna worry about that later and just go forward with releasing M:R to the public in due course, what i'm currently thinking about is if and how will i make the art consistent, i have a few neat ideas.... costly ideas-- but, it's either gonna cost time or money, and since for the first time in a while, time is at a premium, ill probably have to go with both
Now I'm thinking of a game where the importance of debilitation replaces magic elements.

I've always hated how bosses in all RPGs are immune to status ailments.
So I'm trying to figure out how to make debuffs feasible as a common form of fighting.
That's been becoming less common actually. I don't think Shin Megami Tensei ever did or that or Dragon Quest for that matter. Heck, even the more recent Final Fantasies have been making status ailments fairly viable in boss fights.
LouisCyphre
I am glad I ripped all of the delays out of Window_Message and added :SHIFT to skip text boxes rapidly, because there are 62 text boxes and two whole fights so far in this mission and that's

I mean, looking through it, I don't feel like I'm wasting any of these boxes, but it's still a lot of text. I don't think later missions will be that extremely text-heavy, though.

This is probably much less of a problem than I'm imagining it to be.
I'm thinking a lot lately about the game design for Mannux, the various weapons/abilities and how the various areas will fit together. What abilities unlock which sections, etc. Making a Metroidvania is hard but rewarding work.

I've also been very much in a visual effects mood lately, thinking about cool particle and lighting effects I can add, having machine parts fly off when an enemy robot is defeated, things like that.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
guys sometimes when i should be working on my game i just post on rmn instead

bug or feature?
BizarreMonkey
author=Max McGee
guys sometimes when i should be working on my game i just post on rmn instead

bug or feature?
Premium Feature!

Been thinking a lot on cutscenes recently. Presentation, natural reactions, etc.
I'm currently organizing all of my project notes into strategy guide form both for myself to reference while continuing development and for the player potentially.
I was first thinking it would be nice to work in pokemon fan game project or make a fan game of my own, but then I thought about the legal ambiquities and other difficulties about implementing ready made game mechanics and concepts... so no fan games.

Instead I thought about making more original game idea and concepts with pokemon style gameplay. Currently in my mind is this megaman/pokemon crossover world where people battle using special robots. I've already created the core concepts and now I need to brainstorm different robot models, attacks and abilities. My aim is to create engaging battle engine with strategic depth.

First I checked RPG Maker VX Ace and other engines to see what I would use to implement the game, but I choose to use python programming language and pygame modules if I ever implement the game. I can do programming and music for the game, but I would need help with graphics if I ever made full game...
author=ResidentEcruteak
I was first thinking it would be nice to work in pokemon fan game project or make a fan game of my own, but then I thought about the legal ambiquities and other difficulties about implementing ready made game mechanics and concepts... so no fan games.

Instead I thought about making more original game idea and concepts with pokemon style gameplay. Currently in my mind is this megaman/pokemon crossover world where people battle using special robots. I've already created the core concepts and now I need to brainstorm different robot models, attacks and abilities. My aim is to create engaging battle engine with strategic depth.

First I checked RPG Maker VX Ace and other engines to see what I would use to implement the game, but I choose to use python programming language and pygame modules if I ever implement the game. I can do programming and music for the game, but I would need help with graphics if I ever made full game...

Since it sounds like you're just getting started, definitely start small.

Start your battle system off with only like 4-5 "robots models" maybe with only 3-5 customizable features each. Don't worry about graphics or story/world building. If you want to add context to your game so that people know what's going on when they test your game, just use text and background still images.

DO NOT worry about graphics! But if you want something as player characters to show to the player, go into MS Paint and take 2 minutes MAX to draw each of your robot models. They may turn out goofy, but they can always be changed later. Graphics are easy to change, while fundamental game logic is not.

Remember, I'm not trying to sound executive here. I'm only trying to give some advice.

Also, I agree with you to not go down the fan game route. By doing so, you kind of lock your self into a tighter framework that you need to work around. Your audience could be limited by the game that you are basing it off of, and those who do play your game will go in with certain expectations that you may have a hard time fulfilling (doing the game justice, etc, etc.)

To make your game stand out, also don't use ripped music. There is plenty of other great royalty-free music to be found across the interwebs.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=Max McGee
bug or feature?

I thought they were the same thing :p

UE4's looking pretty nice.. UI is definitely better from the UDK, IMO. Legitimately thinking about moving my FPS game over to it after I run through all the tutorials for the engine's editor.

>Best part is that it doesn't run like shite on my PC like UDK sorta liked to AND still looks pretty damn good

Failing that, FPSC: Reloaded (the next iteration of the game's current engine) is in the works and hopefully that has more of the features I'm looking for while remaining pretty simple to use.. Current beta builds seem promising, but still no word on any sort of cinematic stuff that I'd really love to see (like UE4's Matinee)

Then I disappear for a bit as both that and damned college life take over once again (yay for multiple tests coming up within the next 2 weeks.. and then finals a bit after that :D )

author=BizarreMonkey
I'm 26 and I'm still using a toy engine. So now my thoughts are on what I'll make in game maker, some simple stuff to begin with obviously.

Good luck, mate. Personally, I'm quite fond of GameMaker (both 8.1 and Studio) and my roomie has made some pretty amazing stuff with it.

I'd try learning its language early on though, but that's from me being more of a fan of GML over its drag-n-drop interface (and because everything there can be done via code in a rather simple fashion ). Not to mention it's pretty damn powerful once you get the hang of it
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I may be about to land a legendarily awesome mapper for my current game project. So stoked, you guys.
LouisCyphre
Should I abbreviate healing buffs as "HEA" or "HEL" or "HLG" or what?

edit: Clarity is my foremost concern. If an enemy puts a "HEL -20%" icon on the player's status window, I want them to be able to understand what just happened. What three letters make you think "healing?"
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.