INTERNET BLACKLISTING, SAVE THE INTERNET!

I'm seeing that SOPA is not dead, just put away until later.

Misleading article titles are misleading.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
What do you mean ?
Here's a comment on the article Ness posted:

This is such an unfortunate title for this article. SOPA is not dead. killed, or anything of the sort. They DELAYED HEARINGS on this Bill. That's it. Now people are passing this around, looking at the title, and saying "Well, I'm glad that's all over. Now I can stop paying attention to it." You've done your readers a major disservice.

At the bottom of that article it has other links for sources. One of them says:

House Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) said early Saturday morning that Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) promised him the House will not vote on the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) unless there is consensus on the bill.

I don't see this as an end to SOPA. They just need to reword it and get everyone on board? I dunno.

*So while this is GOOD NEWS!! I don't think it's time to break out the bubbly and forget about SOPA.
chana
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Further reading courtesy of Deckiller, from IRC:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/01/16/obama-says-so-long-sopa-killing-controversial-internet-piracy-legislation/

*So while this is GOOD NEWS!! I don't think it's time to break out the bubbly and forget about SOPA.
We still need to kill PIPA which is heading to the Senate floor on the 24th, so I agree that it's way too early to break out the firecrackers.
Only intelligent people support SOPA/PIPA.
Didn't Obama say something similar about not supporting the indefinite detention without trial of American citizens? I won't believe either is dead until they're taken behind the watershed and shot.
We had this scenario play out like a month ago with the NDAA bill, didn't we? They "delayed" it, presumably in the hopes that the public heat would die down. It didn't, so they passed it anyway.
author=GreatRedSpirit
Didn't Obama say something similar about not supporting the indefinite detention without trial of American citizens? I won't believe either is dead until they're taken behind the watershed and shot.

Pah, they do this anyways. It just would be more open about this.
If PIPA is down, THE WEBSITE BLOCKERS ARE NOW COMPLEYTELY DIED IN HELL!!! HELL YEAH!!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=chana
In fact.
Wouldn't be a problem if people just bought their shit.
chana
It's not as simple as that :

"Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, I’m greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

I’m particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA."
author=BareGamer

Don't be naive.
author=Dyhalto
author=BareGamer
Don't be naive.

I'm naive for suggesting that people shouldn't steal shit? Hilarious.
No, you're naive in that suggesting there would be no problem if people didn't steal shit.
There'd still be a problem.
author=Gourd_Clae
No, you're naive in that suggesting there would be no problem if people didn't steal shit.

What would be the problem? Why would these acts still exist if people didn't steal property?
Politicians like to influence what we say and create, there are alot of things that are created that are the same thing they're modeled after, except its the artist's rendition(Hello, DeviantArt fanart, Youtube LP's, and fangames). That's ONE reason. I'm not sure about the others-I'm not that well informed on all this politics business.
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
author=BareGamer
author=Gourd_Clae
What would be the problem? Why would these acts still exist if people didn't steal property?

You must think the Government is only there to protect the people and their interests, then. You're probably too young to understand. The Government is an evil thing. Dark. Corrupted. Corroded. With highly corrosive saliva, that when they spit this shit, it's meant to melt away at the rights the people do have, and want to keep.

They only care about their power, and money. If it means making up bullshit bills, they will do it. They don't give 1 shit about people actually pirating. Mainly because what people to steal, is a very small bit of what those people earn on a regular basis anyway. It's not TRULY effecting those who are being 'robbed'. Normally.

They aren't here to help us.
I was trying to put it lightly, but that approach works too...