FINAL FANTASY 6 REMAKE!

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Funny story: Did you know Square Enix's iPhone and Android version of Secret of Mana actually just uses the original graphics? I wonder if it sold badly and they blamed it on the graphics. (Instead of on the fact that it's an action RPG that's unplayable with touchscreen controls.)

Here's a comparison for you of the various FF6 graphic styles.

iOS version:

GBA version:

This one only looks this bright because it's a screenshot from an emulator. The GBA's screen shows images much darker than they really are, so it actually looks just like the original SNES version when you're playing it, except with a different font (they picked a narrower font on the GBA so that they could cram facesets into the dialogue boxes).

SNES version, expanded in Photoshop to be blurry:

I'd actually take this over the new graphics, personally. I mean, the new ones aren't really worse than the original, except for maybe the character sprites. But they're not better either. And they look just as blurry.
Ha! If you look, the GBA one has the same mapping errors! My guess is that they just replaced the tileset and didn't update any of the maps.
No true Scotsman JRPG
author=Ciel
this isn't some nuanced issue about values and color saturation and composition and perspective... like if you have any sort of basic human sensory perception you should be able to look at this and see pure digital refuse
part of learning what makes things beautiful is understanding what makes other things ugly. just looking at an ugly thing and dismissing it with 'bad' is all well and good, but doesn't teach you anything -- there's a lot to learn, though, if you dig into it and try to find out what went wrong.

also people are allowed not to like ff6, jeez! something being a 'classic' doesn't make certain people's experiences wrong. if people are allowed to constantly rebut multiple-paragraph critiques with 'ok but i liked it', people are also allowed to dislike something popular.

e: and yeah, I'd gladly take the SNES graphics over this. those were at least tailored for the space they had, instead of clumsily expanded at a minimum of effort.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Lemme show you what went wrong. I'll show you by zooming in to 10x on the diagonal edge.

Now, the blurry stuff out in the orange area is just JPEG artifacts - the game won't have those, they're the fault of the file format. But even ignoring those, you can see here - extremely clearly - that this does not look like pixel art. There's anti-aliasing! It was actually, as Mawk suggested, created at a different resolution and then rescaled.

If you aren't real familiar with Photoshop you might imagine the possibility that it was intentionally created this way in the first place - created as digital art, not pixel art, with anti-aliasing and smoothing in place from the get-go, which is how you would draw, say, any sort of graphics in Photoshop that isn't pixel art for an SNES game. However, due to how the edge of that diagonal looks, I can actually confirm that this isn't the case, and that it really was created at a lower resolution and then resized. If it were created with anti-aliasing in the first place you would expect the diagonal edge to look like this example (which is an edit I just made myself):

But it doesn't. See the difference? The vertical anti-aliasing turns from brown to orange gradually in this example, but in the first image, which is the real screenshot, you get an entire column of lighter pixels. This indicates that it was originally created as pixel art with sharp edges, and then expanded (by about 20% to 25%) in an image editor.

---

However, I have evidence that this is only a problem with the screenshots, and not with the actual game. The first three iPhones and the first three iPod Touches are 480x320 resolution. This screenshot is 600x401 resolution - which is a weird size. Why 401 and not 400? I'll tell you why: because the original screenshot was 480x320. It has to be, to be playable on 3G devices. The resizing isn't in the game - it was done to the screenshots after they were taken.

I did some research and discovered that the official screenshots from Square Enix's news release are only 300x200. The larger images are only on other news sites - they were apparently privately released to select journalists. So I can't tell if the resizing was done by Square Enix's marketing department or by the press. But I can definitely tell it was done by one of the two.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
author=mawk
author=Ciel
this isn't some nuanced issue about values and color saturation and composition and perspective... like if you have any sort of basic human sensory perception you should be able to look at this and see pure digital refuse
part of learning what makes things beautiful is understanding what makes other things ugly. just looking at an ugly thing and dismissing it with 'bad' is all well and good, but doesn't teach you anything -- there's a lot to learn, though, if you dig into it and try to find out what went wrong.

i'm not saying that stuff doesn't matter i'm saying it doesn't require specialized knowledge of visual arts to recognize that it is horrible, which makes it especially mystifying that anyone, including the authors, thinks it is acceptable

some things are horrible in ways that only artists can readily detect. this isn't one of them
This is the worst thing square has ever done... Though I've said that so many times its lost all meaning.
the worst thing square has ever done is continue to exist
Let's tally their sins so far. Feel free to add your own sins if you notice any I missed.

-Final Fantasy: All The Bravest. Seriously? Just.....seriously?
-horrible unneeded ports/remakes of games that somehow are worse then the original.(Like this FF6 port!)
-Sequels that did not need to be made. I'm looking at you 10-2, 13-2, and LR:FF13.
-Shutting down fan games/works that could be potentially great for no real reason. (FF7: The Web Series, most Chrono Trigger fangames, etc.)

this is kind of a tangent, but the last point isn't so much their fault as it is an artefact of the law governing trademarks. if a violation of your trademark comes to your attention, you're legally obligated to take steps to defend your trademark -- because if you don't, and a court rules that you have not defended it sufficiently, you can lose that trademark. this is why it's potentially dangerous for a company to continually turn a blind eye to derivative works.
You guys are nerds (dissecting the fuck out of a single screenshot) and this looks like a flash game.
I could have been a surgeon, I like taking things apart

I could have been a lawyer, but I just had too much heart
@Clyve: Surprised? By nerds being on a site about creating RPGs? Makes you think.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
i found the problem with square enix

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Why not just make a new FF in the SNES style?

edit: Blackmoon Prophecy has more credit to me than the newer FF titles.
author=Ciel
i found the problem with square enix

be my gay husband
I see a picture of a hideous monster and a Square-Enix employee in that order.

author=InfectionFiles

*fist bump*
author=InfectionFiles
We've cornered that market!
author=kentona
author=InfectionFiles
We've cornered that market!

::high five::
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=UPRC
I see a picture of a hideous monster and a Square-Enix employee in that order.

author=InfectionFiles

*fist bump*
Fist bumps for everyone!

*fist bump fist bump fist bump and one highfive*

We'll take it from here square enix...