SOOO... GAMERGATE

TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
so her free game

(actually, I don't think it was free around that point)

while doing nothing either too stop the harassment

So what's your proposed method of stopped trolls from creating a twitter and tweeting under the hashtag? What do you propose to stop them from freely posting on an anonymous image board?

All the proponents can do is call it out and report what they can

accomplish anything towards the alleged goal of ethical journalism

The Escapist's chance in ethical code comes to mind. Furthermore, it's kinda hard to change things that are set so rigidly against doing so and would rather burn in the flames of hell over budging.

Frankly, I'm willing to bet that if any of the accused sites simply posted some sort of ethics code or, at the least, said "we'll conduct an internal investigation" then it'd be nowhere near the level of hell it is today.

author=harmonic
And no, there's not going to be a movement this big and diverse just to keep in-game rape and boob giggling.

Problem comes when mainstream media continually demonizes things with a bunch of one-sided articles.

People begin to believe it and refuse to listen to any attempts to defend against allegations (again, see the CEO of Stardock)

>out of curiosity, how many people here know of TFYC's story?
So what's your proposed method of stopped trolls from creating a twitter and tweeting under the hashtag? What do you propose to stop them from freely posting on an anonymous image board?

All the proponents can do is call it out and report what they can

Its not my job to figure it out for you. Though you can start by ceasing with the excuses.

The Escapist's chance in ethical code comes to mind. Furthermore, it's kinda hard to change things that are set so rigidly against doing so and would rather burn in the flames of hell over budging.

Frankly, I'm willing to bet that if any of the accused sites simply posted some sort of ethics code or, at the least, said "we'll conduct an internal investigation" then it'd be nowhere near the level of hell it is today.

Note that all of the examples of accomplishments Gamargate can point occurred at the beginning of the movement, when the facts about it were still unclear.

And more to the point, it wouldn't have worked because Gamergate doesn't actually care about ethics.

Problem comes when mainstream media continually demonizes things with a bunch of one-sided articles.

The mainstream media has absolutely nothing to gain from misrepresenting gamergate. Most of it is below the medias concern its not just unreliable sites running articles that don't paint Gamergate in a good light. We're talking about BBC or NPR. When it comes to pro gamergate articles, what do you get? Milo from Breitbart. Do I really need to explain to you what this tells you about the movement.

The media isn't reporting gamergate the way it is out of some conspiracy. Its because it looks like a harassment campaign to anyone on the outside.

author=harmonic
I agree that it's no one's business. The side effect is that it made me feel really shitty because I have to rely on the merits of my game design skills rather than my sexual relationships to get good reviews.

Man, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but as I said previously, none of the people she slept with posted a review.
The journalist in question actually did speak favorably about Quinn's game, but it was a small amount of praise that was part of an article that showcased many different indie games at the time.
It was written before their relationship started.
Even better then, but if their relationship was ongoing at the time of that article, it still wouldn't really equal backlash since it was a big list of indie games at the time, and hers had gotten coverage beforehand, so it makes sense for it to be mentioned. (no matter how bad it is)
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=EdgeOfChaos
author=harmonic
I agree that it's no one's business. The side effect is that it made me feel really shitty because I have to rely on the merits of my game design skills rather than my sexual relationships to get good reviews.
Man, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but as I said previously, none of the people she slept with posted a review.

Yeah, by reasonable accounts, Zoe Quinn is a horribly repellent, fucked up bitch in any number of ways. But the one wrong thing she almost definitely DIDN'T do is to sex her way into positive game coverage. The initial accusation--which was actually never explicitly spoken, just indirectly implied and then quickly backed off from by her ex-boyfriend, who later clarified that he was making the point that she was a disgustingly awful person and a manipulative self-obsessed liar, NOT that she had somehow sexed her way into positive game coverage--was completely false in a "laughable on the face of it" kind of way.

But in the internet firestorm that subsequently touched off, it is true that:

a) Social Justice Warriors publicly despise and vilify "white" "straight" "male" "gamers".
b) This has touched off a digital pogrom against gamers in the mainstream media, largely due to a few vile trolls that have really poisoned the well for the entire movement with their never-acceptable threats of death and rape.
c) Anita Sarkeesian is clearly the Jack Thompson of 2014, whatever else she may profess. And like I felt about Jack Thompson, I want to punch her in her goddamn face until she stops appearing on legitimate network news as a "qualified expert" talking about things she obviously doesn't understand and spreading a hate-filled, vile agenda full of fucking lies.

also

d) Ethics in games journalism remain, broadly speaking a joke and obvious, unspoken conflicts of interest where money changes hands are plentiful. But this actually has fuck all to do with Zoe Quinn, who as an indie dev is completely powerless in the industry and is anything but an industry inside. And it has also been true for years and years.

tl;dr the ongoing backlash against GamerGate, which is folded into the larger heading of GamerGate, is a much bigger deal than the original misinformed movement itself.

My girlfriend brought up The Fine Young Capitalists to me the other day (in vague terms, she couldn't remember them by name). Details are extremely vague, but I know that they are a feminist group that was organizing a game jam and that before #GG broke that Zoe Quinn publicly attacked them for (allegedly and ostensibly) being trans-exclusionary and not paying the participants, and that she was almost able to bury their entire endeavor, but they later recovered. Anyway since #GG I haven't been able to find any more details than that, but it seems like they were later able to recover and their Game Jam was quite successful.
Was linked this:

Thoroughly enjoyed
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
author=Corfaisus
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
Until Anti-GG can openly cast off social justice bullshit and the various people who claim to care about women but actually don't, not mention the other various hoodlums causing issues for everyone involved, all it will end up doing is fueling pro-GG.
GamerGate: "Nobody truly cares about women. Everybody's lying. It's all a misandrist attempt to take away my video game rape/woman-beating/big-boob-jiggling! How dare they take these things away from ME!"

I do hope this is just a lil fun sarcasm on your part and not some shitty attempt at personally attacking me, seeing as I tend to give slight preferential treatment to women.
author=Max McGee
author=EdgeOfChaos
author=harmonic
Yeah, by reasonable accounts, Zoe Quinn is a horribly repellent, fucked up bitch in any number of ways. But the one wrong thing she almost definitely DIDN'T do is to sex her way into positive game coverage. The initial accusation--which was actually never explicitly spoken, just indirectly implied and then quickly backed off from by her ex-boyfriend, who later clarified that he was making the point that she was a disgustingly awful person and a manipulative self-obsessed liar, NOT that she had somehow sexed her way into positive game coverage--was completely false in a "laughable on the face of it" kind of way.

But in the internet firestorm that subsequently touched off, it is true that:

a) Social Justice Warriors publicly despise and vilify "white" "straight" "male" "gamers".
b) This has touched off a digital pogrom against gamers in the mainstream media, largely due to a few vile trolls that have really poisoned the well for the entire movement with their never-acceptable threats of death and rape.
c) Anita Sarkeesian is clearly the Jack Thompson of 2014, whatever else she may profess. And like I felt about Jack Thompson, I want to punch her in her goddamn face until she stops appearing on legitimate network news as a "qualified expert" talking about things she obviously doesn't understand and spreading a hate-filled, vile agenda full of fucking lies.

also

d) Ethics in games journalism remain, broadly speaking a joke and obvious, unspoken conflicts of interest where money changes hands are plentiful. But this actually has fuck all to do with Zoe Quinn, who as an indie dev is completely powerless in the industry and is anything but an industry inside. And it has also been true for years and years.

tl;dr the ongoing backlash against GamerGate, which is folded into the larger heading of GamerGate, is a much bigger deal than the original misinformed movement itself.

My girlfriend brought up The Fine Young Capitalists to me the other day (in vague terms, she couldn't remember them by name). Details are extremely vague, but I know that they are a feminist group that was organizing a game jam and that before #GG broke that Zoe Quinn publicly attacked them for (allegedly and ostensibly) being trans-exclusionary and not paying the participants, and that she was almost able to bury their entire endeavor, but they later recovered. Anyway since #GG I haven't been able to find any more details than that, but it seems like they were later able to recover and their Game Jam was quite successful.

Yeah, I mostly agree.

I believe TFYC had a competition to get more women into the game industry, and anti-gamergate people hacked and ruined it. Don't know many more details.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
but I know that they are a feminist group that was organizing a game jam and that before #GG broke that Zoe Quinn publicly attacked them for (kinda probably and ostensibly) being trans-exclusionary and not paying the participants

You'd be correct. I've recently stumbled across this stuff, though: http://imgur.com/a/KEtcp

I'm still in process of actually verifying.. found it in a post on the Escapist forums posted ~13 days ago; yet apparently

Given that this has already been addressed and shot down with documentation numerous times during the 700+ page run of the megathread, it's no surprise a new thread was created to keep feeding the debunked narrative.

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.863091-The-truth-about-Zoe-Quinn-and-TFYC-GamerGate-built-on-lies-and-slander#21516293

And here is said megathread, currently at 1081 pages: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.860762-GamerGate-Discussion-Debate-and-Resources

So I'll have to get back to you on that when I can figure it out here but I'd much rather you go through it and form opinions on your own as I can very well just start feeding you some cherrypicked BS

but it seems like they were later able to recover and their Game Jam was quite successful.

Due to a massive donation run from the supporters of GG. I believe the jam was also the reason the Vivian James character exists today

You know, I've also just remembered something from the beginning; something about the harassment thrown at Quinn from a place called WizardChan

author=GreatRedSpirit
Was linked this:
Thoroughly enjoyed

That.. That was amusing.

Do I really need to explain to you what this tells you about the movement.

Actually, yes. I will straight up admit I'll need insight on this if only because the way I gather news is odd to begin with

EDIT: So what're the chances of this tweet getting headlines? https://twitter.com/CHSommers/status/527985254192398337
Max McGee
author=GreatRedSpirit
Was linked this:
Thoroughly enjoyed

Ah, those idiots. Yeah, they deserve that money only the barest hair more than Sarkeesian (and they're all well below the 'NOT AT FUCKING ALL' mark). Fortunately, I think less people take them seriously.

Edit: I just watched a video made by the same guy called tropes vs. turtles. It was hilarious.

Due to a massive donation run from the supporters of GG. I believe the jam was also the reason the Vivian James character exists today

Yeah that's the part I neglected to mention--it was actually 4chan that "came to the rescue" of a radical feminist sponsored event. So yeah...there's that. That's a thing. That happened.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=TehGuy
EDIT: So what're the chances of this tweet getting headlines? https://twitter.com/CHSommers/status/527985254192398337

Extortion for disagreeing. How classy.

The evidence continues to pile up that threats are going both ways. One is from the 12 year old COD player who will get put in time-out for swearing over voice chat, the other is from grown adults who threaten harassment and career death for supporting GG.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
author=Corfaisus
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
Until Anti-GG can openly cast off social justice bullshit and the various people who claim to care about women but actually don't, not mention the other various hoodlums causing issues for everyone involved, all it will end up doing is fueling pro-GG.
GamerGate: "Nobody truly cares about women. Everybody's lying. It's all a misandrist attempt to take away my video game rape/woman-beating/big-boob-jiggling! How dare they take these things away from ME!"
I do hope this is just a lil fun sarcasm on your part and not some shitty attempt at personally attacking me, seeing as I tend to give slight preferential treatment to women.

Actually it's neither. What I posted was a criticism directed at the undeniable foundation of GamerGate that you've presented before me; that no one else truly cares and they just want to look good. If you were doing no such thing, then there truly was no reason to respond in such.

You can become part of the problem, though. You know, if you want this to be about you.
Max McGee
I found this gem of retardation all the way back on page 2 and even though I promised myself I wouldn't respond to any really old statements this one was so stupid that I couldn't not.

-Nude images of game developer Zoe Quinn were distributed across the internet in an attempt to "punish" her for something.

Nude images of game developer Zoe Quinn were distributed across the internet BECAUSE SHE CONSENTED TO HAVE NUDE PHOTOS TAKEN OF HER AND PUT ON THE BLEEPING INTERNET. If you don't want nude photos of you on the internet, you know...don't do that.

Edit: Goddamnit, Solitayre did it to me again.

But it should be noted that Zoe Quinn as a human being is basically the raddest person ever...

...is the wrongest statement made in the HISTORY of EVER. She really, really, really,really, really,really, really, really, really, really, really, really ISN'T. Some, such as myself, might argue that her jilted and cuckolded ex is obviously a biased source, but it's the unedited chat logs that paint her in a far worse light than any of his words. I made the mistake of reading the entire thing, and it is (and she is) a cesspit of depressing human vileness. (And actually, the link you posted of her gloating about her spying (neither of which is bragworthy on its own) and then threatening legal consequences doesn't paint her much better.)

Why do people think GG is about ethics in game journalism?
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=Corfaisus
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
author=Corfaisus
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
Actually it's neither. What I posted was a criticism directed at the undeniable foundation of GamerGate that you've presented before me; that no one else truly cares and they just want to look good. If you were doing no such thing, then there truly was no reason to respond in such.

You can become part of the problem, though. You know, if you want this to be about you.

I can see where you're coming from on this as it does appear that those of us arguing in favor of GG are trying to get those arguing against into dropping the entire stigma attached to it and I will agree: there a plenty of those who care what it looks like to those outside it.

At the very least, though, my posts were simply for discussion all parts of the matter. Trying to change someone's perception on the matter hardly crossed my mind.

Browsing across the /gg/ board, I can see many who are finally coming to terms with the fact that no mainstream network will give them any sort of neutral or positive light and have simply stopped giving a shit about image and have gone back into doing whatever the movement has on its task list

Though as long as the people who still care exist, arguments like these will continue to occur all over the 'net and real life. None of them will move staunch opponents such as yourself and I suppose kentona, it essentially ends up as it does here: two groups bashing heads against a brick wall. Really, only people that could be described as "fence-sitters" are going to be swayed one way or another.

To be honest, though, discussion here has given me much to sit on as I continue to watch events unfold and I suppose I'm happy for the chance to have sat down and actually talked with those against GG in a rational manner (because those damn twitter convos and news pieces were just.. hard to read, so to say).

>still neutral on the matter, though.. Nothing can stop my skepticism from running both ways :p

Anyhow, I think I'm going to go back to watching UE4 tutorials and somewhat fretting over my calculus test tomorrow

EDIT:

Possibly the moderates with large followings turning some of the admittedly tinfoil stuff into something easier to swallow (I guess you could term it "red pilling" like in the Matrix)

That and people like TotalBiscuit actually recognize an issue within the industry (journos or no) and have been trying to peacefully reach some sort of compromise (again, he recently went on with Totilo on the matter who also has admitted to there being issues with the industry)

in unrelated news, apparently Anonymous has come back into the light, if only for a bit, over that @opgamergate stuff

basically, they came out to deal with whoever made this video, apparently

it's quite a laugh :p
Death threats and random trolls give people with social agendas more monetary benefit, media coverage, and an easy "BIG EVIL" target to paint for other people to recognize. Except now this target actually has a name.

I don't think GG is productive or organized hate, but I'm certainly not taking a side. Which is what people like Anita want you to do.
author=kentona

Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
author=Corfaisus
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
author=Corfaisus
author=Zeigfried_McBacon

Ok, so maybe we just had a misunderstanding here. I have enough reason to not be GG, so please dont get it twisted. I'm not accusing a whole side of pretending to give a shit when they don't; that's too simplistic in my opinion anyways.