SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
author=Luchino
I deleted all of Tristian's 300+ maps. I'm in a destructive mood.

That sounds pretty scary. Are you in need of support?

author=ExtremeDevelopment
Cap-That bath idea sounded pretty funny so I drew this
http://imgur.com/Dzvw8KY

Looks like Secret of Batharama to me. Cool.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=zeello
EDIT: Alright, I altered the size and positioning of the HP and MP bars. I also repositioned and HP and MP values, and removed the text "HP" and "MP" from the UI altogether. It looks much better now.

Just be aware that thinner bars means less visibility and, unless you're using faces to show levels of pain, HP/MP level awareness may decrease.
author=Magi
They sure are. I've got a lot of work to do between my regular job and all the sleep deprivation, but I am hoping to have something much more cohesive in July!

Awesome. In the meantime I will be sending letters to my representative in congress so that when your game comes out I can marry it.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=zeello
Damnit, I just downloaded the Ace Core Engine script. And now I finally have discovered the reason the health bars were always different in the screenshots.

Yanfly really hates character portraits!!
It still seems worth putting up with though because having a bigger screen is unquestionably superior.
I'll just have to draw my portaits to be 16:9. Like, *really* 16:9.

EDIT: Alright, I altered the size and positioning of the HP and MP bars. I also repositioned and HP and MP values, and removed the text "HP" and "MP" from the UI altogether. It looks much better now.

However, I have a feeling that the script automatically crops the image to 96 or 92 pixels, which means that drawing wider portaits won't solve anything. But I'm guessing I can tinker around in the script to fix this.
If you truly are that diserviced by the bigger health bars covering up the god-awful (personal opinion) RTP portraits and like the Core Script purely for the screen resolution, you can always just drop the script and put this line in the main script.
Graphics.resize_screen(640,480)
Before the only line of code.
Thank you very much for the code, but the Core Engine comes with a few perks so it seems to be worth using anyway. Anyway, like I said, I'm going to make my own portraits. The current ones are just placeholders. But I'm wondering how I will solve the 96 pixel limit issue.
I should probably try inserting a random 124 pixel image into the game just to see if it goes through. After all there's no sense in drawing portraits only to find out afterwards that they won't fit.

edit: I really doubt it will work though. It truly seems like I will have to make 96 x 96 portraits and have the righthand side of them be blank.
This actually isn't the worst thing in the world, provided the characters are facing right.
The way I laid out the HP and MP values, and action icon, actually makes it so there's a lot of sense in leaving that area blank.

EDIT: I could put frames/borders around the portraits, this way it will seem less random that the image gets cut off. I probably won't do it since it will take even more space away from the actual portraits, but it's an option at least.
On the other hand, it would make it look stylized like a trading card game almost, and that would be really cool.
BizarreMonkey
RPGmaker VX Ace has a hardcap on Portrait size in battle menus, making them yeah, framed is a good alternative to getting heavy into interface redesign.

Where you're portraits are going to be really needed is in interaction and dialogue, not the battle HUD.

author=Magi
Oddworld, huh. Didn't realize it at first. I guess I should have taken a cue from your other posts in here. I don't know how well the cel shading is serving you right now, but if it's your thing by now then maybe you just gotta keep rolling with it.
I'm thinking about going with a more painterly style for portraits... it may take a little longer but it may very well be worth it.

No I cannot draw that fucking well, that image is by my Artist, Xiie.

Old style for the sake of Comparison in the hidey tag things! :0

author=Magi
I am very disappointed this is not an ecchi game..
Believe me, I was too.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
@Sated: I believe it depends. I think it doesn't really matter if you can't see their sprites if you can see their faces, especially if you get the general gist of what the scene is like first, and then the portraits fade in. I think if the sprites aren't moving, you don't have to see them.

@Bizarre_Monkey The new portrait is a lot better. Not that your drawings are terrible, but that portrait is really nice. This makes me think that if you get an artist to retouch your graphics after you've finished the game, then it could give your game that extra edge. I get the feeling your strength is in creating a quirky atmosphere, filling it with imaginative characters and interesting dialogue, and crafting interesting gameplay systems around them. I wouldn't say drawing is your strong suit - the proportions of your drawings tend to look a little wonky at times - but the imagination spark and the hard work required to craft an entire world from scratch is there. I'm sure a graphical artist would find it easier to retouch your graphics because they already have a template to base it off.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Still in progress...

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
You made me want to buy "Fantastic Buildings Medieval" even more >_<
Oh and not a single tree in the entire kingdom?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you really want battle portraits, consider using RPG Maker XP instead. One of the nice things about it is that the default battle system has large battlers for both the heroes and the enemies.

BizarreMonkey
author=CashmereCat
@Bizarre_MonkeyThe new portrait is a lot better. Not that your drawings are terrible, but that portrait is really nice. This makes me think that if you get an artist to retouch your graphics after you've finished the game, then it could give your game that extra edge. I get the feeling your strength is in creating a quirky atmosphere, filling it with imaginative characters and interesting dialogue, and crafting interesting gameplay systems around them. I wouldn't say drawing is your strong suit - the proportions of your drawings tend to look a little wonky at times - but the imagination spark and the hard work required to craft an entire world from scratch is there. I'm sure a graphical artist would find it easier to retouch your graphics because they already have a template to base it off.
I'm definitely going to talk with my artists about it. The upgrade graphically is certainly worth it, you're right in that I do still have a lot to learn as an artist, and with the window of opportunity narrowing, I shall probably let Xiie or somebody be the retoucher of all the faces. heck, The Warth'og graphic is touched up from my own work.

author=CashmereCat
@Sated: I believe it depends. I think it doesn't really matter if you can't see their sprites if you can see their faces, especially if you get the general gist of what the scene is like first, and then the portraits fade in. I think if the sprites aren't moving, you don't have to see them.
Whenever the sprites take actions the dialogue isn't happening in 97% of scenarios. Also if it does get intrusive it's not as if I can't scale the portraits down some.
Just a desert map for a practice project.

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=Alichains
Just a desert map for a practice project.

It looks a bit empty even for a desert. You may wanna decorate a little more. Maybe add some tumbleweed or something?
There's a lot of tilesets you can use to add more deatil, such as SD-Arius' desert tiles(http://sd-arius.deviantart.com/art/Desert-s-tileset-194646341)
Other than that I LOVE the usage of those shadows. Very unique and clever.
@alichains: Apart from being too barren, those cliffs are far too straight and therefore looks unnatural, so you might want to change that. Also, some patches of sand or dirt, or even an oasis in the middle wouldn't be a bad idea either. Seeing palm trees randomly scattered about really doesn't make sense.
author=LockeZ
If you really want battle portraits, consider using RPG Maker XP instead. One of the nice things about it is that the default battle system has large battlers for both the heroes and the enemies.

But it's possible in vx ace isn't it? I'm guessing its possible to edit the draw_face part of the script so it can be any image you want, the trick would be in making it generate a different pic for each character, and the ability to change portrait mid game.

I could get xp but it doesn't look great, I prefer how games look in vxa. (Not mentioning the time and money I've already spent on vxa which I guess doesn't count as a reason)
BizarreMonkey
It's definitely possible in VX Ace, and if you like working in VX Ace for gods sake don't go back to XP. If you have some money to throw around, there's the Luna Engine which-- if I'm correct, can be used commercially upon purchase, however you may need to buy a license, which going by typical fare, would be even more grossly expensive.

If you're doing non-commercial, then just look around for scripts that do it... I'm sure they exist, and if you don't want to use that script, you can always either strip it down and be sure to credit the author, or if you're savvy enough, build your own from the ground up.

@Allchains: I might be slapped around for this suggestion, but since you have an issue with making deserts that aren't notoriously square, I'd recommend digging into some of the VX Ace sample maps and seeing how they do it, "Mine Entrance" is a particularly handy example.

I feel like doing work today, yay!
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=zeello
I could get xp but it doesn't look great, I prefer how games look in vxa. (Not mentioning the time and money I've already spent on vxa which I guess doesn't count as a reason)

If you aren't slow you could get it off Steam for less than 10 bucks. XP is worth it, imo.