THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

You can add them but you need to put them manually in the monster folder and then access them in the monster tab.
Previously, the limit was 640x480 for pictures. This limit has now been removed.

Bigger pictures than 320x240 do make sense if you intend to scroll them or zoom them.

EDIT: Oh, right, monsters... Maybe I should modify the restriction there as well.
Hey... speaking of monsters and things larger than normal, you know how the battle animations has a large animation? Would it be possible to add a Large BattleCharsets thing? For, you know those times when a 20ft golem is in the party. Or a pet tarrasque.
You can import your monster like picture, and after copy to Monster folder.
@bulmabriefs144

Generally, you can get this by using Battle Animations as a replacement for the battlecharset. I never use the battlecharsets anymore myself ; when in the battlechar window, select the 'Animation Type' tab then select Battle Animation instead of the default offered to you.

And there you go!

Just be aware of the following quirks: most action animations play only once. However, idle and status animations will loop.

Likewise, you can use battle animations for weapon use too, which allow for creating custom animations for practically every weapon in the game and even have characters use the same weapon differently. Far more flexible than the default battlecharsets as a whole.

Death animation will loop if death is inflicted by events or by damage from events but the animation will only play once if death is caused by normal damage or skill damage/status.
Well, yea I technically knew about that by trying a few status effects.

But yea, it has a few flaws, like image gaps.
This is that I wanna say when I say that I see rpg maker blurry in modern monitors,
as the game works as 320x240 or 640x480, the image has to be resized up to a bigger resolution and use interpolation.
With something like anotherfullscreen with a support of 3x, 4x display without filters the image can be cleaner.

1400x1080 like original display in modern monitors

The same but scaled without interpolation
I have a question about this.

My pictures have been scaled to 320 x 240 since I've used RPG Tsukuru 2k3. And I have ALOT of pictures.

My computer's resolution is 1366 x 768.

Assuming RpgMaker 2k3 refits it to like 1280 x 960 or something, what happens to the 320 x 240 pictures I've had?

Stretched to unrecognizability (or the point of ugliness)? The size is the same but the picture only covers 1/4 of the screen? Or the screen is 320x240 by default but can be rescaled to fit larger pictures?
The game screen is always 320x240. If it's stretched to 1280x960, it merely means that it's displayed with a 4x zoom, including all its contents, such as your pictures.
Okay, I shouldn't have to resize. I suppose when it's downloadable I'll have to see how to use bigger than normal pictures. At some point, a zoom control plugin would probably be in order.

But yea, not having to resize every picture will be a bonus. If I really don't like the size expansion, I suppose I can make a black "frame" that goes around it, and shrink it down to 50% or something.
Window resolution != game resolution. As Cherry said, the game is always 320x240... so absolutely nothing happens to your pictures, nor is any "zoom control plugin" needed.
The "bigger pictures" change was mostly done to allow people to use larger pictures to zoom/scroll them around (or use them as huge spritesheet with one screen size per sprite, with "Move Picture" for animating).
Another feature request suggestion! Something I did with a resource hacker was give a skill a negative MP cost. It basically made it a MP builder skill for a builder/spender character. It worked fine in engine except when you looked at the skill in the game's skill menu and it would (obviously) report it as a negative MP cost. It'd be neat to be able to make that a feature of the engine. Just allow negative MP costs and report it to the user instead of a plain negative MP cost.

I do want to say that I probably wouldn't use the engine after this month, using it for the current 2k3 event has reminded me why I quit using it and I'm already pining for Ace's features. I dunno if it would be the effort or not, lack of source code 'n all, figured I'd put it out there at least.
Hi Cherry,

When you say Bigger Pictures were implemented, do you mean that the size limits in the picture dialogue boxes were increased? (Before, it was something like 720 maximum.) Or did you do something with the way the game stores the graphics in memory?

I ask this, because with RT2K3, I routinely used very large pictures as spritesheets, and rarely, I had gotten some strange crashing, like the memory ran out.
author=GreatRedSpirit
Another feature request suggestion! Something I did with a resource hacker was give a skill a negative MP cost. It basically made it a MP builder skill for a builder/spender character. It worked fine in engine except when you looked at the skill in the game's skill menu and it would (obviously) report it as a negative MP cost. It'd be neat to be able to make that a feature of the engine. Just allow negative MP costs and report it to the user instead of a plain negative MP cost.

I do want to say that I probably wouldn't use the engine after this month, using it for the current 2k3 event has reminded me why I quit using it and I'm already pining for Ace's features. I dunno if it would be the effort or not, lack of source code 'n all, figured I'd put it out there at least.

Actually, I remember trying to have a similar thing, only it was damage. Bugmenot's RPS+ kinda screwed this up though. I was trying to have an enemy "heal" but with my reverse attribute which normally heals. Instead, I... nevermind, I'll contact bugmenot directly about it.
@Zachary_Braun: Only the limit check during importing was removed.
Zachary I think you can do that for XP and VX, but 2k3 has different limits. Limitless charsets doesn't really make sense (since you can have a load of cheap ones via charas project). Limitless chipsets might be nice, however.
Hey, I noticed some of the hide/show screen transitions were altered in this new version but I never saw this in the official changelog.
Alternatively for people using laptops that you can get around the blurry picture of rpg maker games by hooking your laptop up to a HDTV, and gives you real color as the result.
Altered? No, we didn't change the transitions.
What do you mean?