WHY AREN'T YOU FUCKERS IN IRC?

WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=Ratty524
I wouldn't call the clique in Slack dick-headed. There are cliques that are better than others.

Also I think Xoe is referring to the #realtalk channel that is reserved for political matters in Slack.

Yes, it is the clique you are part of that is better than the one you are not.

If the justification for Slack's existence is that there is a channel to talk politics, that isn't great.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I wouldn't call the cliques in slack dick-headed though, just cold and indifferent to people outside their group, but that's something that can be fixed by insisting in butting your presence in until people get used to you.
All communities are cold and indifferent to people outside of the in group, but I find chatrooms in general are actually a lot better about that than forums. That said, while I had a good experience with the Slack, I can see how some people might not have.

author=Hexatona
I guess the real question to ask is - why does RMN have a chat in the first place? Why are we using it? Is it just a faster general shoot-the-shit forum? A place to get help? Is it where people can talk to collaborate on game projects?

I actually find chatrooms to be a way better medium for socializing and serious discussion than forums. I feel like the immediacy and limited audience facilitates better communication, especially when you're discussing something complex or controversial.

I think Slack is better than IRC from a pure functional standpoint, and it has the activity level to support multiple rooms just fine, but the greater barrier to entry is definitely a downside. I don't have a strong preference either way, but I agree it seems redundant to have two.
author=CYBERLOUS
What's IRC?

It's like slack but for old people
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
IRC, or Internet Relay Chat, is a chat protocol developed in 1988. It is older than the World Wide Web which most people consider as the "internet".

Besides its use for general purpose chat, IRC has also influenced subsequent newer chat protocols and programs such as Discord and Slack in design and features and is also used to facilitate game chatting features (Warframe's in-game chats utilize an IRC backend).

Design wise the protocol is rather simple and is meant to be used (normally) in a distributed layout with multiple IRC servers connecting to each other to form an IRC network to which the users connect to. This means IRC is fairly strong against individual servers crashing or otherwise becoming unreachable, since the network itself will usually stay up from the other servers.

Individual IRC servers can serve users on its own as well. For example, if RMN were to host its own IRC server it wouldn't be part of any network, it would be just by itself, since there wouldn't be a need for multiple servers.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=CYBERLOUS
What's IRC?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+IRC

:P :P :P
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
There are like three cliques in Slack alone. Human nature bla bla
author=iddalai
author=CYBERLOUS
What's IRC?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+IRC

:P :P :P

Yeah nevermind I went on last night
Why arnt I on IRC? idk is that safe :X then again is rmn safe?
*shrug

i assume people use IRC because it's what they grew up on
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
You know how in the chronicles of the dragonlance the wizards could be either black or white or red if you were neutral? woah