IDIOTS IN IVALICE: A "ROLL TO DODGE" RP

AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Ally Rolls -- Anno: 4, Vivian: 1, Niviea: 2, Janna: 6
Enemy Rolls -- Roy: n/a, Hovy: 2
~~~
Without any real resistance, Anno is able to run circles around Roy's ankles, binding up the poor vagrant as he tries not to pass out from his injuries. For sake of ease, Roy is considered out of the fight.

Getting her bearings together and snarling, Janna dives forth and throws a bladed punch toward Hovy. Connecting with his chin and gashing it open, the Monk doesn't realize how much oomph she has put into her lunge, and tumbles to the ground as the shredded jaw offers next to no resistance to stop her. Hitting the cobblestone path between the warehouses hard, she groans and finds herself in a vulnerable position...in other words, Janna's next turn will be skipped. (1 dmg: Hovy)

Vivian, offering up a sign of thanks to Niviea, gets ready to open fire with her crossbow. Unfortunately, this same weapon must have been moved from the bargain bin back onto the standard shelves by some unwitting (or knowing and lazy) customer prior. Not realizing the tensile strength of the powerful crossbow cord is nearing its limits, the Viera goes to span her weapon once more. The elastic material snaps immediately, whip-lashing her in the hand for a painful sting! Despite the shock of the sudden sharp pain, Vivian hasn't sustained any lasting damage, but she cannot use her crossbow until she obtains a replacement cord -- which isn't likely to happen this fight.

Seeing her companion get whipped across the hands by a faulty string, Niviea's reaction to cover her companion in this vulnerable spot fails in a knee-jerk reaction. The arrow fired toward Hovy whizzes past his head by a couple inches, barely missing its mark and plinking further down the street harmlessly.

Yowling from his slashed chin, Hovy growls right back at the lioness, turning his fork point-down and trying to stab at the downed Janna. While too stunned to perform an instant-up like a skilled martial artist is wont to do, the Brigali warrior isn't completely helpless and manages to roll out of the way moments before the prongs smack into the street.

Round Three Results
Anno: 3 HP
Vivian: 3 HP, Ability Ready
Niviea: 4 HP, Ability Ready
Janna (Guest): 3 HP, Ability Ready, Stunned (1 rd)

Hovy, Seeq Gourmand: 2 HP
Roy, Nu Nou Beastmaster: (effectively) KO'd
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Damn it. Niviea will simply try again. Another shot at Hovy!
"Sycamore and tumbleweed! 'Should've known not to get my gear at the 1 Gil Shop!" Vivian curses.

Thinking it wise not to engage Hovy when disarmed, Vivian runs up to Janna to try and help her get back on her feet.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Whoops. Suddenly, it's a party and everyone is here. I don't really want anyone to have lioness for dinner, though.

"Hey, why are you using a giant fork as a weapon, anyway, Kupo-po? Not very subtle. If you plan to secretly eat people, that kind of thing is a dead giveaway. And it's not even good for taking small, healthy bites. Here, look, Kupo!"

I jump up and attempt to grab around Hovy's weapon, clinging to it and staying on there to make it harder to wield.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Ally Rolls -- Anno: 4, Vivian: 4, Niviea: 6, Janna: n/a
Enemy Rolls -- Hovy: 1
~~~
Ready to make this next shot count, Niviea takes aim once more and acts with full initiative. With Anno leaping upward to weigh down Hovy's fork with his armored body, Niviea angles herself around the advancing Vivian to take a body shot at Hovy. The arrow is loosed, hitting the cretin where it hurts just as his weapon is dragged away from the downed Janna. With a guttural bellow as his liver is punctured, Hovy groans from the shock of his latest wound and drops to his knees, his fork clanging to the ground. Apparently, the Seeq's liver was in a sensitive condition -- he shouldn't have hit the bottle as hard as he did in the past. (2 dmg and KO: Hovy)

VICTORY!

Scrambling to her feet, Janna gets away from Hovy and assesses the damage. "Alright", she sighs. "Good work, everyone. Standard procedure... but where's the Judge? If these crooks don't get healing fast--"

Out of nowhere, a figure clad head-to-toe in silvery armor marches from the shadows, wearing a great horned helmet. Unlike usual breastplates, this one's plating seems to widen more at the chest than the midsection. A feminine voice, muffled from the closed visor, echoes out from it. "Janna", opens the Judge nonchalantly.

"Judge Trudith", Janna replies just as casual. "A bit late to the party, I see?"

"Ohhhh, no", groans the ankle-bound Roy. "Way to go, Hovy. You decided to have us go after a Clan?"

Hovy grunts back, coughing and holding the arrow in his side while his jaw dribbles crimson, "How was I supposed to know that?!"

The Judge shrugs even so subtly. "Or your lot didn't wait long enough for the engagement. Lucky you, the week's law is 'No Fire Damage'".

Janna blinks. "Man, that's actually a serious one this time. Well, your aura will keep them from keeling over, as a Judge is wont to do". Turning on a heel toward the defeated villains, she then taps a foot impatiently. "Well?"
pianotm
"Is anyone injured?" Niviea asks her clan.
Vivian pats her stomach and sides, feeling a slight pain there.

"I'm a little sore from that Dreamhare's kick but nothing too serious. I'm more concerned about my broken crossbow, to be honest. I wonder if there's a craftsman in town who could fix it promptly? Otherwise I'll have to stop by the next weapon shop and buy a brand new one."

"What about you Anno? Are you well?"
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
"I think they are," I say in response to Niviea, pointing at the two unsuccessful cannibals on the ground. "I'm fine, just got my bell rung by his bell a bit."

"Hello, Ms Judge, Kupo. Thank you for visiting us, I hope you think we did well. Good thing I didn't go with my original plan and use a torch to... Oh, well, never mind, Kupo-po."

I pat Vivian on whatever the highest place I can reach her in lieu of her shoulders is, and suggest: "How about we return to the Old Cypress and bring Halita the good news, Kupo?"
AtiyaTheSeeker
(Sorry for another long delay, folks. Let's continue, shall we?)

Offering a slight nod of her helm, Judge Trudith responds to Anno, "I'd say this is one of your better fights; a shame I was late to witness it. I've got the warrant assembled for Hovy's arrest, and this accomplice isn't likely to get off scot-free either". With a brief trot over to Janna, the armored lawgiver pulls a glob of molten wax into being alongside a piece of parchment that looks like a legal form. Pressing a signet ring from her gauntlet into the floating wax and then into the parchment in one calm motion, she then hands the document over to Janna.

Accepting the form, Janna shrugs to Niviea's question. "Nothing I can't will away for now, if I distribute energy from my chakras into the right spots. I'll be fine; it'd be better to tend to the others first". Noticing Vivian's broken crossbow cord, she then comments, "Ooh, that thing looks pretty worn down. Replacing the string is easily within Polaris' budget, so don't worry about paying for a new one yourself".

Giving a firm farewell nod to Trudith as the Judge recites the would-be culprits' rights from memory, Janna leads the team back to the Old Cypress to report a job well done, the stab wound in her side ceasing to bleed immediately as she murmurs a mantra.

~~~

Back at the Old Cypress, the team presents that parchment to Halita, signifying proof of the contract's completion from the Judge. Halita is happy to see the Clan members arrive back safely, though she seems regretful that Hovy finally had to get the book thrown at him. Nevertheless, she's grateful for the success and awards the team a modest sum for the bounty. Anno, Vivian and Niviea receive their cut of the reward on the spot from Janna -- 35 Gil each.

~~~
Music: Barret's Theme, FF7

A week passes by, and the team is hanging out at Polaris' personal base of operations. A fair-sized guild hall with humble furnishing, the intent was to have the main squad, the B-list members and membership-hopeful all mingle together. In practice however, the pompous nature of some A-list teammates meant the top brass often stuck with their own clique, oft ignoring their lower-ranked allies.

On this particular midday the founder of Polaris, Horatio Icilia, is busy looking through a leather-bound charter of his. The scruffy-bearded Hume with bronzed skin normally kept personal tabs on the performance of his associates, jotting down notes that only his closest confidants got a hint of what he was writing about the clan members. For reasons unbeknownst to almost all of the Clan, Janna was one of those fortunate few to see what the head honcho was thinking, but even the cheery Monk knew better than to share such secrets.

Among the present units, Ser Arte was busy practicing his swordplay with a wooden waster. One of the few top brass to care about his lesser associates, a Hume Parivir (or Samurai, as he was more commonly called) named Hisaki was giving pointers to the Bangaa on unorthodox counterattacks when blades clashed in a fight.

Lowering his manifesto, Horatio reaches to his empty metal tankard and raps the side of it loudly with a ring around his finger. "Attention, members", he calls out with his deep voice. "I'm looking for a few units to meet me in my office".

Some of the top brass shift from their spots and take attention. "Specific units", Horatio booms back, with some of them going back to their own devices. "In particular? Anno. Arte. Niviea. And Vivian. If you lot are here, come by my office in the back. I've some business to discuss". Getting up from his seat in the back of the room, he raises a hand to the others as he walks out, finishing with a calm statement, "That is all".

Surprised by hearing his name, Arte's guard is let down, leading to a bop on his reptilian snout by Hisaki's sweep across his softwood blade. "Oof", grunts the Bangaa, "Blassst, I wasssn't expecting him to call my name for once". Looking about the room while rubbing his nose, Arte goes to return his practice weapon to a rack against the wall, trying to see if the others mentioned are present...
pianotm
The moment Niviea hears her name, she stops and listens, and then immediately goes to Horatio's office, trying to avoid bumping into people along the way.
Vivian shows signs of unrest.

"Oh dear... I hope we're not fired. We ARE fired, right? Well, I guess I am. My performance on that last request was so poor. The boss got wind of it, of course. I can already hear it:
'You call yourself a Viera and you can't even wield a basic weapon without breaking it! You're useless to Clan Polaris!!'
Oh Leafy, what are we going to do without this job?"

Remembering what happened during the fight with Hovy, Vivian suddenly realizes that Lenzo the ninja did nothing to help the others after he turned himself invisible.

"Ah... maybe Lenzo's the one who'll get fired. Haven't seen him in a while... Maybe he already got fired?"

Perplexed, Vivian tries to spot Lenzo in the room as she makes her way to Horatio's office.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
I hop off the table I was standing on next to my drink, onto a chair, then onto the floor. "Sorry, folks, but duty calls. Very loudly, apparently, Kupo."

On my way to Horatio's office, I get momentarily distracted by the worried looks on Vivian's face, and end up bumping into Niviea as I try to say something uplifting.
pianotm
"Oh! Anno! Are you okay?"
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
"Oops. Nivi, are you oka... Jinx, Kupo!"

I pick myself up off the ground.

"I wonder what Mr Bossman wants to talk to us about. I haven't accidentally dropped a smoke bomb in the base for a long time. But if he invited all three of us and Artie, he probably has a really special exciting mission for us. One he doesn't want to send any of the grumpy guys on. I'm sure that's got to be it, Kupo-po! Let's go!"
pianotm
"We should hurry! It would probably look bad if we were late getting called to the office."

I help Anno up and join Vivian on the way to the office.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Scooting by alongside the others, Arte is the first out the door in the back of the guild hall, leading to a small hallway leading up to Horatio's office. Once he spots the others meeting up in the same corridor, he nods and crosses an arm over his chest.

"Lady Vivian", he speaks calmly, as she's the first to appear among the trio as Niviea lingers to help Anno up. "You look pale, good Geomancer... isss everything well?" Once the Miqo'te and Moogle arrive, he nods firmly toward the pair. "Sssir Anno, lady Niviea. Sssso the gang'sss all here, t'would ssseem. Heard how you and lady Janna handled the ssso-called Gourmand the other day. Lenssso mentioned it earlier thisss week. Good effort".

Marching toward the door, Ser Arte opens it and ushers the team into the boss's office. "After you, teammatesss". Waving them in, the back room containing Horatio's various records is a small room, smelling of incense as always and still dimly lit compared to the main lobby.

Finishing up a brief note with a quill in his ledger, Horatio peers up toward the four, with Arte calmly walking in after the three make their entrance. "Shalom and good day. Anno, Niviea, Vivian, and Ser Arte. I've seats pulled up from the lobby. Let's talk business, shall we?"

Motioning a strong, rugged hand toward the humble stools in front of his desk, the team is invited to enter. Resting laterally on a rack above Horatio's seat is his pride and joy knight's sword, a pale blue weapon with prayers etched in an archaic script across the blade. This weapon, called a "Save the Queen" design by high-end swordsmiths, is enchanted like others of its ilk to enhance Holy elemental powers used by its wielder while allowing them to absorb offensive powers of that same element, rending no harm but rejuvenation instead.

Along the back corner of the room, his favorite longsword is also paired with a top-notch suit of armor for when the veteran adventurer goes forth to settle a score, or otherwise a harrowing mission alongside his fellows. Both a platinum-ornamented close helm with a winged visor, alongside a full suit of plate armor with the same precious metal decoration are fastened to a stuffed dummy, the metals polished to a fine splendor and patiently awaiting the next time their owner would wear them.

Calling the team back to attention, Horatio claps his tome closed and clears his throat. "So", he opens, "I confess I was vague with why I wanted to call you four here. No one's drawn my ire, so I figured I'd announce that first. Aye, quite the opposite for you three". He extends three fingers on his hand, pointing them to all but Ser Arte. "Good work handling the Seeq with that cannibalistic Magicite. I believe a week ago, correct?"

Moving his ledger to the side, he crosses his extended fingers. "Which is why I've got a related assignment for you lot. Something under the table, but one which I'll personally pay out. You'll still have protection from Trudith, but this is a quest I'm doling out myself. I will offer the details, but any who aren't able to commit to it are free to opt out if they desire. Nevertheless, I feel all four of you are capable of succeeding at this one".

He glances away briefly, then focuses back on the others. "Especially as it concerns one of your... no, *our* fellows. Janna might be getting in over her head".
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
"Thank you, Sir. We do our very best, Kupo...ooo!"

As I try to make a bow in Horatio's direction, I promptly lose balance on the stool I plopped down on, but manage to catch myself in time for once and not fall face first onto the ground.

"A mission that concerns Janni - I mean, Janna? Well, normally, I'd say I'd be more concerned if she weren't getting in over her head. I'd worry it wasn't her at all, and someone else might have taken her place."

"But you sound serious, Sir. If there's any way we can help our friend, I'll be happy to do what I can. And if she's getting in over her head more than the usual, healthy amount, what is it we need to do about it?"
pianotm
"Of course, sir!" I do an enthusiastic salute, possibly accidentally smacking someone in the process if they're too close.
With a dumb smile on her face, relieved to hear that the boss has no intention to scold or fire her, Vivian joyfully replies:

"Anything you wish, sir! We'd be delighted to help!"
AtiyaTheSeeker
(Hey again, folks. As I mentioned to NS and Piano earlier today, I've got a long weekend ahead of me and doubt I'll be able to respond till Monday. I feel bad not replying quick enough, so figured I'd offer an explanation for my absence beforehand.)

Music: "Jinn the Fire", FF3

Horatio chuckles at Anno's statement in spite of himself. "Believe me", he replies, "That girl has a habit of getting herself into and out of trouble. If I didn't think she needed a bit of help to get herself back out again, I wouldn't have called you four here". He pauses for a second, regaining his composure before continuing.

"Janna's... had a bit of a history before joining Polaris", he explains. "She's convinced she can find whoever sold that Seeq the corrupt Magicite piece that gave him his potential powers. I insisted there was no proof of him having any real powers outside of a placebo effect". He groans. "Of course, she didn't listen".

Another pause, and Horatio carries on, a more concerned look on his face. "I don't feel I was completely truthful with you folk, when I said you'd have Trudith's protection on this case. Truth is, if she's dug as deep as she might've, she might be visiting a Jagd -- a burned-out patch of Ivalice where the laws of our reality just don't apply. Airships crash upon entry, and even a Judge has no power in those taboo lands. As expected, the Mist is found in its purest form as well -- highly beneficial for magic-users, but drives most people mad after enough exposure... especially those sensitive to it, like most Vieras".

Ser Arte finally chimes in, crossing his arm across his chest respectfully. "I sssee where thisss is going", he explains evenly. "If lady Janna hasss gone there, ssshe could be in real danger with no meansss to be sssaved from death'sss doorstop. Sssame with usss, if we go after her".

Horatio nods. "Quite", he gruffly replies. "Hence, why I extend my offer to back down once more if desired. Janna does what she can, but she's no Master Monk. As stubborn as she can get in a fight to stay alive, no man or woman or person in general is an army".

Reaching for a scrap of papyrus paper, Horatio slides it forth across his desk. "And I think she knew it too. Found this among her personal goods that she leaves here every now and again. Hoped I'd find any hint of her absence, and my faith rewarded me. There's a patch of Jagd forming in the corner of Baptiste Hill, just north of Camoa's territories. The refreshing breeze seems to die off, and the grassy hills become scorched wasteland as one approaches. It's been a cause for concern, since that cursed area had only gradually begun to show about a year ago".

Horatio sighs. "...I've spoken enough. I admonish you four -- gather any supplies you can afford in the city before embarking, assuming you've still got the guts I expect from you all".

To speed things along, lemme know if you're buying anything in bold font at the end of your post, and we'll be able to carry onward to the Jagd after.