WOULD SUIKODEN/EXIT FATE STYLE RECRUITMENT WORK IF THERE ALL NPCS?

Pages: 1
Hey just a game design/theory. Do you think having a game where you use a normal rpg cast of 4-12 playable characters and the rest are NPCs would work for a build your army type of themed game?

You would still do the mass recruitment like in the suikoden games but wouldn't be able to play any but the essential. Would it be worth it if all the recruits are NPCs that do stuff like open up shops within your fort. As a player would it be rewarding enough to do loads of side quests if you can't get the new recruits in your party?
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I mean...I'd probably play it. I honestly don't know what you're looking for beyond that.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I can see how the minutia of what it takes to recruit non-essential Stars (but also essential for the 108 Bonus of Destiny) interesting. You speak of side-quests. There tends to be a splattering of mini-games too. The mini-games and/or side-quests probably have to be good/fun. Or, just have really memorable/funny character interaction. However, some characters will inevitably fall flatter than others, simply because of the vast quantity of characters out there. Even the proper Suikoden games have characters that fall flat, and they had a team of writers working on them!

For what it's worth, I have a small tribute to the Suikoden series, not to mention written LPs of all 5 of the main games on this site.
Hmmm this sounds like the Legion Saga trilogy.
It's clearly inspired to Suikoden and it's probably the most famous "build tour army" rmk game.

If I am right collecting all the recruits in the second game lets also earn the best ending.
You can check the 2nd and 3rd, the first is not that good and the other two are instead related.
The second has 40 recruitable characters, the third even more.

LS2
LS3
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I keep forgetting about Legion Saga, despite being subscribed to Legion Saga DX!

Welp.

*Edit: Took a look at Aremen's profile to see if, in His generosity, He also has uploaded the original Legion Saga. I assume so.
I mean, a fair amount of the characters in Suikoden were pretty much NPCs anyway. You had about 40-60 playable characters and about 40-60 NPCs who just hung around your castle/base/etc doing what they did, so yeah, it's a thing you could do easily enough and it'd work out well.
I think that would be cool. In that case, the recuitable characters are basically just collectibles that grant access to new features and resources. Would definitely work. They don't necessarily have to be playable. It's still a fun mechanic that provides an incentive to explore.
author=Marrend
I keep forgetting about Legion Saga, despite being subscribed to Legion Saga DX!

Welp.

*Edit: Took a look at Aremen's profile to see if, in His generosity, He also has uploaded the original Legion Saga. I assume so.

Don't worry. I always forgot about it... I am kidding... I didn't forget about it. It has been on my mind. Life is just misbehaving badly the last year.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The whole Suikoden series would be vastly improved if 90% of the recruitable characters offered some other benefit to you when recruited instead of joining your party. Nobody wants 80 playable characters.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
https://atlus.com/alliancealive/

The Alliance Alive is this. Literally written by the Suikoden scenario designer.
Pages: 1