SCREENSHOT SCHMEENSHOT

author=Max McGee link=topic=2555.msg52975#msg52975 date=1230616903
Drakiyth, your project will definitely be worth downloading just to plunder some of the resoruces for ETG. :P

Thanks dude :)
Which is less repulsive?

Without sand Weather effect.

Or

With sand weather effect.

Looking back, I probably could have stood to take a better screenshot of the entrance, oh well.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Neither is repulsive but I gotta ask....

Phantom Legacy....Arabian Nights?

I prefer the former but it's not really a big difference.
author=Max McGee link=topic=2555.msg52983#msg52983 date=1230620084
Neither is repulsive but I gotta ask....

Phantom Legacy....Arabian Nights?

I prefer the former but it's not really a big difference.

I've been itching to make this town ever since I finished Deimos' fortress.

It's going to have this desert town marketplace type feel to it; it's going to be a lot of fun to make.
Happy
Devil's in the details
Don't forget the suicide bombers ???

Seriously though, I'm not sure about going with the effect or without it. They bring very different feeling both. If you've got a good song and some soundeffect for the ambience, the first could be good enough.
Max McGee
Or you could just randomly have the sandstorms be happening or not because hey, weather comes and goes and isn't always the same for the same location. Honestly, I think that'd be the best choice.
@Nightblade>> Like Rei said, the first one could be good with a nice song and ambiance. Also, the sand weather effect looks nice, but might not give the desired effect :(.
A good market-place feel I've always like is this one.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ndEH0GNAQ&feature=related

That is just my two cents.
Well this is a bit unusual. If you want to know what tracks Im thinking of using, it would be either this.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=XP-2gDngxjo&feature=channel_page

or

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=aAQtXKu-kNI

I'm strongly leaning towards the first though...

Happy
Devil's in the details
author=Nightblade link=topic=2555.msg52988#msg52988 date=1230623451
Well this is a bit unusual. If you want to know what tracks Im thinking of using, it would be either this.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=XP-2gDngxjo&feature=channel_page

or

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=aAQtXKu-kNI

I'm strongly leaning towards the first though...

I would personally use the first track with the sandstorm screen and the second for the one without effects. Though you could go with occasional sandstorms perhaps, as Max suggested.
In my opinion, I suggest the first one.
Though, it really depends on what feel you're going for. Is it a nice, bright and happy marketplace theme, or a dark and shady one?
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture

That looks rad, Badluck. I'm looking forward to it bro!
I mostly prefer the first one Nightblade but both are looking good.
Nightblade, use the first one along with the first song. I find the default weather effects (especially sandstorm) to be annoying after awhile. Since this is a town, you will probably be walking around quite a bit which could lead to the annoyance.

Badluck, where is my gameplay. :(
Have you thought up of a HUD yet?
Unfortunately, gameplay is a ways off yet... u.u;

As for the HUD, we know what info will be displayed, but not how we want it to look. We'll display the 6 (of 40 or so) skills you can use in combat at a time, health and mana bars, money, experience and probably the zone name you're on.

Not sure if we want a minimap or not... They can be handy, but unlike the first Ara Fell, the maps in this game are pretty streamlined and there's only a few pathes to take. Moreover, the correct path is much more obvious.

Anyway, so it'll probably end up looking something like a less cluttered WoW HUD.
Max McGee
author=Craze link=topic=2555.msg52838#msg52838 date=1230521733
It doesn't have to be the size of the screen, you know. Black space isn't terrible!

Voila!

Don't know how I feel about this. The proportions are MUCH closer to being realistic but that is a lot of black space and it looks awkward, especially since it is impossible to emit the weather effect for the black space! (I think it would look just as awkward in the center as off to one corner.)

What do you guys think?

(Other version, for comparison: )

DE
*click to edit*
Simply use a filter when resizing that panorama, or launch Winkawaks and rip the whole panorama yourself.
Max McGee
I do not really know what either of those things mean. Care to explain in detail, DE, as you would to a small retarded child? :)

Anyway I am liking the small, upper left one better so that is what I am using for now. I am using the one good ceiling tile in EtG as a "Frame" around the image and I like the effect.

DE
*click to edit*
Open panorama in Irfan View, click ctrl+r, a window will open. Change Size Method to Resample and choose a filter. Click OK :) You can do it with any "more advanced" graphics utility like Photoshop, but Irfan is the most simple (and I don't have PS to guide you).

The panorama's from Metal Slug. Download Winkawaks (an arcade emulator). Find a ROM of Metal Slug 1-5. Find that area. Turn off the sprite layer (ctrl+f and uncheck all boxes). Make screnshots (unfiltered). Piece the panorama together in Photoshop or whatever (I use an old version of Paint Shop Pro). Voila, your very own rip! :)
author=Nightblade link=topic=2555.msg52982#msg52982 date=1230619884
Which is less repulsive?

Without sand Weather effect.

Or

With sand weather effect.

Looking back, I probably could have stood to take a better screenshot of the entrance, oh well.

Without the sandstorm effect.