SCREENSHOT SCHMEENSHOT

Happy
Devil's in the details
I dunno, I'm only using it to show off the colony wall on that specific scene.. D:
:'(

When are you going to make a topic for your game? I remember your youtube videos being mostly fantastical!
Happy
Devil's in the details
Well, thanks. I'll make one once the first impression is what I want it to be, which I hope will be around next RSD!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence

Trying something a little bit new with a few maps in Everything Turns Gray.

1. I know the proportions are a little wonkey, but if it helps, that gigantic steel shutter door is really supposed to be that much larger than a person within the game. Excuses, excuses I know.
2. I don't know what the weird gray line on the bottom of the map is, but I will try to get rid of it!

And now for something completely different...(same game, though)...

The party is suffering from "night blindness", which is a vision impairment status effect that does NOT end after battles, suffered when you are exploring an unlit area without a light source. Also, Griever will be happy to see I have replaced that awfully pixellated and resized Giant Bat graphic.
author=Max McGee link=topic=2555.msg52827#msg52827 date=1230517585

Trying something a little bit new with a few maps in Everything Turns Gray.

1. I know the proportions are a little wonkey, but if it helps, that gigantic steel shutter door is really supposed to be that much larger than a person within the game. Excuses, excuses I know.
2. I don't know what the weird gray line on the bottom of the map is, but I will try to get rid of it!

I love what you have going there Max, but the only thing I have problems with is the overall pixelation of the scene, and yet the door and some various other objects there are clear ???.

Max McGee
Well I have enough of these panoramas (what you see above is an...I hope relatively seamless?...combination of a panorama and tiles) to do maybe 20% of the maps, at most. I don't have enough background to do the whole game in them. I just thought it would be interesting to switch things up in some locations. Rei-'s game Elegy's Eve alternated panorama-based maps and tileset based maps and it looked great, so I don't see what the problem with alternating is really.

And yes, the panorama was stretched to fit the VX screen size and hence does look somewhat, well, stretched, i.e. pixellated. I don't think it's too too awful though.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
It doesn't have to be the size of the screen, you know. Black space isn't terrible!
Max McGee
That's certainly an interesting thought!

A new logo I whipped up. It looked better in my head.

EDIT:

Slightly different layer filters.
@Rei-:
Love how the pano and canopy tileset near the bottom blend so well. Very nice, great atmosphere there.

@Max:
I personally found the pixely aspect to be a neat touch, and the screen overall is very attractive. Only problem for me is the door - it seems to be a lot smoother than the rest of the area, and stands out a lot.

@Kentona:
Nice, me likes. It's kinda hard to choose which one I like better though - probably the first, although what looks like a gradient overlay kind of fogs it a bit too much imo.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Rei: Excellent use of resources. Where does that wood part come from? Looks great.

Kentona: Bottom one looks better. That's a good-looking world map to show off.

This has a few errors in it because some of our tileset code is wonky, but I didn't feel like fixing it right now. Anyway, I noticed I was being lazy with my cliffs when mapping Ara Fell's desert region, so I tried to fix them... I think it looks a lot nicer now.
Max McGee
WHAT THE FUCK A BADLUCK EMERGES.

That looks characteristically gorgeous you rotten bastard. :)
Wow Badluck! That's amazing! Perspective is a bit messed up though.

Also, what kind of code are you using for your tileset?
Aftermath: Bandit Factory (South Of Winslow)

Bandits have been attacking the people of Winslow and bringing them back to this
strange place. It seems this factory has been flooded, but why do the bandits still stay
here? Tales of a great monster that travels with this group of bandits resides here.
What is it? How do they have control of it? Find out in 0.6

VIDEO OF BANDIT AREA - (Easier to show off my work this way)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXvOQQmiUJw

It's pretty much the normal RMXP code, but certain tile numbers have different properties. (For example, we had to code it in so you couldn't walk over top of tree shadows to pass over impassable tiles.)

Somewhere in the code, those cliff tiles are set to "above". (not the normal database tile priority setting)

Anyway, thanks for the compliments!
@Badluck: Ah, so I see. That sounds like it a hell of a lot of work.

@drakiyth: Your screens look pretty good, but the blue window bothers me.
Max McGee
Drakiyth, your project will definitely be worth downloading just to plunder some of the resoruces for ETG. :P