RECENTLY WATCHED MOVIES

Pages: first prev 12345 last
It feels like we should have a list of Letterboxd accounts on the main post here... Here's mine: LINK

Last movie I watched with my friend was Icebreaker. Sean Astin before LotR fame., playing a search and rescue type on a ski resort and having to fight terrorists. Funny as hell and surprisingly featuring Bruce Campbell in the villain slot. Definitely a watch for those who want a stupid ass rule of cool movie. 2.5 Stars out of 5.
Galarians.

I knew it was an obscure PS1 title, picked up a movie adaptation of it at a retro media store.

Kind of reminds me of being a kid, and watching some random garbage on teletoon, late at night.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Puss in Boots The Last Wish

Watched it a few weeks back and man, was that an incredibly enjoyable view. Absolutely recommend it to anyone. It's just an amazing movie all around.
Sheep & Wolves: Pig Deal

If I had to pick the biggest flaw with this film is that it borrows way too many plot elements from the first movie and suffers from a lot of writing issues. For starters why do the Dark Wolves care so much about what another pack of wolves is doing? The only answer we get in the movie is that the leader of the Dark Wolves sees sheep and wolves living together as going against the laws of nature. I suppose this does raise the possibility that the wolves and sheep living together is meant to be a stand in the for LBGTQ+ community. Though confirming that might be a bit difficult considering the animation studio behind this film is based in Russia. Or perhaps the whole against nature element largely comes from the English dub and was intended to convey such symbolism upon the good guys.

Regardless the movie ends with a bunch of wolves attacking a village built by sheep, but ultimately deciding to team up with them and go against the laws of nature.

Thankfully the look of the film is leagues ahead of it's writing, but visual effects alone don't make a movie and aren't enough to save the film. Thankfully it also includes some decent jokes. Though a few of them go on for way too long with one character being so dumb he can't understand that one of the female sheep is in charge of defense since a female sheep is called a ewe which the idiot mistakes for you. He then gets further confused by her name since she's called Carrie and thinks he's going to be carried somewhere. It's a really dumb sequence that goes on for the better part of a minute.

I watched Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse around a month ago in theaters. I was visiting my grandmother and we were supposed to see the Mario Movie; however they weren't showing it anymore at that point so we saw that movie instead. It was actually really good and I greatly enjoyed it despite not having seen the previous movie and knowing very little about Spiderman in general.

I also watched Paul Blart: Mall Cop like a week ago. They were selling it at Goodwill for $2 and I figured I'd watch it just for the meme.
Well, I recently sat down and watched Missing Link by Laika and Welcome to Smelliville. Oddly enough the second option is probably the superior film despite having a name that would make you think it's going to be an absolute stinker of a film.

Missing Link

Missing Link is a 2019 film that was created using Stop Motion animation. On the plus side this does mean the film has a certain charm to it. On the downside it's jokes tend to range from iffy wordplay like a character talking about adventure being a foot while holding a cast of bigfoot's foot to cartoonish slapstick that reminds me of cartoons I used to watch as a kid. And the film also likes to have Mr. Link deliver rambling lines as a form of comedy as well.

Outside of the comedic bits the film is obviously meant to be a nod to those old adventure serials that inspired stuff like Indiana Jones with the main character voiced by Hugh Jackman being an incredibly skilled cryptid hunter that laughs in the face of danger that goes by the name Sir Lionel Frost.

Unfortunately the comedic bits make up a good chunk of the movie so I eventually got bored and walked away and left the movie to play while I did something else for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Welcome to Smelliville

Welcome to Smelliville is a pretty by the books story about a town hating their new neighbors, but coming to appreciate them in time. Though, I suppose this one being pretty on the nose in terms of plot elements and resolutions shouldn't be surprised considering it's based on a long run book series by a German author named Erhard Dietl.

KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse
+God tier animation even better than the first movie
+Great story.
+The Spot is a 10/10 villain, equally silly and intimidating. So glad this movie finally gave him the spotlight after merely being a joke character for almost five decades in the comics since his excellent original appearance.
+We got to see more of Miles parents and they're both so likable and loveable. Some of the best parents in fiction, easily.
+The alternate worlds were rendered beautifully.
+The twists were absolutely shocking, and now paints the first movie in a completely new light. What were once silly off-panel gags are now major plot elements out of nowhere. Peak fiction.
+SPIDER GWEN IS TRANS HOLY CRAP!!!
-The animation is a lot more crowded and "busy" than the first movie, which can be a turn off to some who prefer to first film for it's elegance and slower pace.
-The movie ended abruptly and seemingly out of nowhere right before what seemed to be the climax, similar to what the second Hobbit film did. Safe to say, the entire audience was raging. (one guy even screamed out the f word in the middle of a theater full of kids)

Elemental
+Very pretty animation
+Cute romance
+The fire people culture was very interesting and unique, I like that they came up with an entirely new language for it,
-Pretty boring overall, was on my phone browsing TV-Tropes for 50% of it.
-Not much to like if you're not a fan of romance

Ruby Gillman: Teenager Kraken
+Turning Red, but actually good. (thankfully not beyond cringe)
+Very wacky and enjoyable animation, reminded me of Hotel Transylvania.
+The sailor character was very funny, as is the slapstick with the uncle.
+The teenage high school drama was cool I guess.
+The mermaid gave me a boner. (Don't worry she's not a minor she's 3000 years old I swear)
-It's never explained why the mermaids are evil, just that they have a rivalry with Krakens which is also not explained where that came from.
-The grandma is blatantly racist against other sea creatures which is never addressed.
-It is never addressed what made the mom leave the ocean and why she had a falling out with the grandma, and what the falling out even was.
-NOOOO NOT THE TEXTING EDITS ON SCREEN NOOOO!
-NOOOOO ZOOMER SLANG EVEN WORSE NOOOOOO!!!
-The trailers literally spoiled the entire movie. Watching all the trailers gives you the exact same experience as watching the movie, literally.
-The friends aren't shown enough in the movie to make you care about them.
-Obvious bait for a TV series, which will never happen since it seems like DreamWorks sabotaged this movie to prioritize their upcoming sequels that should have never been made. (How to Train Your Dragon 4, Shrek 5, Kung Fu Panda 4, etc)
I couldn't find the other movie thread.

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed Pig(2021) with Nicolas Cage.

It's currently sitting with a 97% Critic and 84% Audience Score.
I'm mostly mentioning it cause Darken recommended it somewhere, I think on twitter or something? - I can't remember.

Dude loses a truffle pig, goes out and tries and find it, doesn't end the way that you expect. Great, great movie.

I don't wanna blow this up more than it is, or give too much away. But it made me rethink a lot of things after seeing it.
Great movies kind of stick with you.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
It was for my birthday back in July, but I watched Top Gun: Maverick and Nobody.

They turned out to be both great choices. Fantastic movies. Top Gun: Maverick had the same feel as the original Top Gun. But I feel like the romance subplot was just there, and Jennifer Connelly was criminally underused. At least Kelly McGillis's Charlie had been actually a part of the school and could play an important role in the plot. I feel like the romantic interest should never be an inconsequential side character in a movie like this.

I have absolutely no complaints about Nobody. It's just a perfect action movie and none of its characters got misused or underused. And it's always nice to see Christopher Lloyd turning in a 1.21 gigawatt performance, even if he was a side character. This is how you handle major side characters.
Reservoir Dogs - and I must admit that the first time he made a much greater impression on me. I watched it a long time ago, so I didn't remember the details of the plot. Yes, Tarantino is brilliant in dialogues, chronology, but still I was not impressed :((
The Mummy and Pitch Black.
I actually planned to use them to fall asleep, since I have sleep problems.
But I haven't seen them in a long time and had to watch to the end.^^

My sleep movie is now LotR. The shire is so relaxing, I often fall asleep shortly after Bilbos feast now.
Scooby-Doo! and Kiss: Rock and Roll Mystery (2015)

I'll admit I'm a bit mixed on this film. I think my main hang up is that this team up is extremely uneven since KISS in this film are essentially rock gods from the cosmic realm of KISSteria. As you can imagine this leads to a team up where the Scobby Gang is constantly being saved by Starchild, Spaceman, Catman, and Demon over the course of the film while offering these legendary rockers very little in terms of assistance.

The movie also gets rather trippy at times and makes me wonder if some of the stuff was at least partially inspired by "Heavy Metal". We also have a super weapon that looks like a head in this film. A head that looks like it was modeled after Galactus's head no less. And this head is defeated by KISS rocking and rolling so hard it overloads the head and causes it to explode.

Scooby-Doo and WWE: Curse of the Speed Demon (2016)

I'd say this film suffers from a lot of the issues the above movie has in that the team feels rather superfluous. So much so that it feels like the movie has to go out of it's way to give the Scoby Gang a reason to stick around.

Scooby-Doo! Stage Fright (2013)

On the plus side this film features a whole lot of people taking on the role of the Phantom of the Opera. As a result this movie feels like you need to ask the important questions of who did it and why. On the other hand the film focuses heavily on the question if Fred and Daphne "like like" each other.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I've kinda avoided posting in this channel until now because I watch so many movies that I thought it would be redundant to only post about certain ones. So instead, I'm gonna try to do a monthly breakdown of everything I've watched at the end of each month. Also, since there's so much to talk about, I'm gonna try to review everything in one sentence only (unless I can't in which case I won't)

In total, I've logged 43 entries to my letterboxd this month. (This includes short films and sometimes tv shows)

BEST / MOST NOTABLE FIRST TIME VIEWINGS (RECOMMENDATIONS)

Turkish Star Wars (1982) - Absolutely hilarious low budget rip-off of the Star Wars movies and I kind of like it way better than all of them.

Dream Scenario (2023) - Simple but well made Nic Cage movie, the messaging is a little obvious but not so much that it feels preachy or
shallow.

The Boy and the Heron (2023) - Easily up there with some of Miyazaki's best work for me, I love surreal and abstract movies like this and it gave me a lot to chew on.

Poor Things (2023) - I really hope either this movie or Anatomy of a Fall win the best picture Oscar, it would be well deserved.

The Holdovers (2023) - This movie feels very familiar, which can be a detriment to me sometimes, but I think in this case it added to the cozy vibe.

When Evil Lurks (2023) - Absolutely unrelenting and brutal horror movie, and very fresh despite the script feeling messy at times, this is honestly what I wanted but didn't get out of the Evil Dead franchise.

Men (2022) - A really polarizing horror movie, but I honestly thought it was very smartly written and well directed.

MARATHONS

Beach Party franchise (1963 - 1966) - Comedy franchise with some nice vibes, and kind of an interesting time capsule for the 60s, but I only really liked the first movie and the rest just made for okay background noise.

Trilogy of Death (1990 - 1998) - Three short horror films that aren't really related other than all being from the same director, they're not very good and not really worth talking about.

Ice Age 1-3, Scrat Tales miniseries and two holiday specials (2002 - 2022) - Y'all already know I love the first 3 Ice Age movies and nothing's changes. The Scrat Tales miniseries is actually really cute and enjoyable, best thing to come out of the franchise in a long time. The Easter special is meh and the Christmas special is so awful it's hard to believe it exists.

All three adaptations of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1971-2023) - I'd never seen the Gene Wilder one before and it honestly holds up super well, I loved that whole tunnel sequence, and it felt like there was a surprising amount of horror to it. The 2005 Johnny Depp remake looked kinda ugly because of the amount of CGI and greenscreen but it was a worthwhile and very different take on the story than the Gene Wilder version. Wonka was very mid and boring.

Carnival of Souls & Remake (1962 & 1998) - I absolutely love the original, it holds up incredibly well and is simple and accessible while also being fairly thought-provoking for those who may wanna watch movies a bit more critically. The remake is just goofy, boring and bad bargain bin horror movie shlock.

REWATCHES

We're All Going to the World's Fair (2021) - One of my favorite horror movies of recent times, I wrote like a full on 1600 word essay on why I love it so much.

OTHER STUFF I'VE WATCHED

The Gathering (2002) - Esoteric occult horror film that kinda has an interesting concept but is also pretty boring and not all that worthwhile; there's better alternatives to this out there like Born of Fire (1987) or Dark Waters (1993).

Saludos Amigos (1942) - Disney Donald Duck and Goofy animation that has some creative and very aesthetically pleasing visuals but was kinda boring even at 42 minutes, I prefer The Three Cabarellos (1944)

A bunch of horror short films - As part of a movie challenge on a discord server I'm on.

Nikki, Wild Dog of the North (1961) - Kinda boring family movie with a very questionable amount of animal endangerment.

Manodrome (2023) - Shallow, pointless, forgettable movie that feels like the kind of thing Netflix dumps out 40 times a year.

Migration (2023) - The new Illumination animated movie, and it feels like it had a little more love and care put into it than their usual stuff, but it's still not great.

A Dark Song (2016) - Boring, pointless horror movie.
Barbie

I learned that I am Kenough.
author=Backwards_Cowboy
author=kentona
why yes I do have Disney+ why do you ask?

My question was actually going to be how many kids do you have

I mean, Disney makes some classics, but no sane adult sits through three Ice Age films without a child present. they just get progressively worse

They also have some adult films there. Yes the films are getting worse and worse some little exceptions like "Soul". I have got 2 kids.
Pages: first prev 12345 last