WHAT'S THE CLOSEST RMN HAS EVER GOT TO FFVI AND CHRONO TRIGGER?

Pages: 1
Which finished RMN games are most similar to Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger?

In my life I find myself just wanting to play those games over and over again. What's the closest we've ever got to these in the RMN scene?

By 'like these games' I mean:

-Complete
-Story/narrative led, with great dialogue (i.e. not the DQ approach)
-Strong characters and an ensemble cast
-A fantasy or steampunk setting, or at least starting in one
-SNES aesthetic

The closest I remember getting to this were The Way and Forever's End (though the latter not complete).

What else would people recommend?
author=Faenon
Which finished RMN games are most similar to Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger?

In my life I find myself just wanting to play those games over and over again. What's the closest we've ever got to these in the RMN scene?

By 'like these games' I mean:

-Complete
-Story/narrative led, with great dialogue (i.e. not the DQ approach)
-Strong characters and an ensemble cast
-A fantasy or steampunk setting, or at least starting in one
-SNES aesthetic

The closest I remember getting to this were The Way and Forever's End (though the latter not complete).

What else would people recommend?

Demon Legacy/Phantom Legacy.

If you ever wanted to play a game entirely based around the Frog vs Magus plotline in Chrono Trigger,
definitely check out Phantom Legacy.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

There was a FF 4 game on here somewhere that was like almost an exact copy of the real one.
The closest one I can think of is Theia: The Crimson Eclipse, it's such a really good game that nails almost every aspect of a great JRPG!
Dhux's Scar
Arafell (Commercial)
Villnoire
NigSek: A Monster's Tail

are the ones that haven't been mentioned and I think fit the criteria pretty well as being well rounded games though I haven't played to them the fullest, they are complete.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=kory_toombs
There was a FF 4 game on here somewhere that was like almost an exact copy of the real one.

This?
Clouded Heart's pretty good. Kind of inspired by Chrono Cross, but the plot's a lot less confusing, and there are fewer (albeit much better developed) characters.
Blackmoon Prophecy and Blackmoon Prophecy II are close to FF4 and FF6, respectively. They've both got everything you listed as criteria.
Give me time.

I've got an FF4 prequel in the works as we speak.

6 is on the horizon.
So predictably I've already played almost all of the recs, but thanks for making them all the same. Discovered some gems that I knew of but didn't know how much they matched the criteria I was looking for!

author=Darken
NigSek: A Monster's Tail

This seems like it doesn't fit my criteria at all? I never had the patience to finish this (i.e. wait around for the big event). It would be awesome if someone did an LP of it. I've found the fanfic it's based on--I'm going to read it sometime to find out what happens!

author=KoopaKush
The closest one I can think of is Theia: The Crimson Eclipse, it's such a really good game that nails almost every aspect of a great JRPG!

Yeah so I've got a few hours into Theia before and it doesn't really do it for me. I'm not sure what it is. It might be that it's in translation but the story doesn't really grab me and I find the systems kind of overbearing. I might try it again sometime though--or watch an LP.

author=Kaempfer
Blackmoon Prophecyand Blackmoon Prophecy II are close to FF4 and FF6, respectively. They've both got everything you listed as criteria.

We have a winner! Of course I know about Blackmoon Prophecy, and tried out the first one back in the day but never got very far of it, I think because I prefer FFVI to FFIV. But I didn't realise quite how much Blackmoon Prophecy 2 is like FFVI. This is going to keep me busy for a while. Thanks!
Pages: 1