WHAT VIDEOGAMES ARE YOU PLAYING RIGHT NOW?

Oh, but imagine a Nuzlocker version built in? That'd be cool because you could change things around a bit to make it harder than a normal run. Say, level caps so you can't just level your mons up. You could have it so that the first time you get a pokemon in an area you have to catch it and if you don't then you can't catch mons in that area any more. Have all the shops locked to you but have more items on the ground to pick up. You could have a field day.

I wonder if anyone thought to make a proper Nuzlocke mod for the normal games, like with the randomised mod.

I like nuzlockes for the RP experience. There was a time I used to live and breathe Nuzlocke comics/LPs.

Currently playing a new modpack for Minecraft. To the Core. It's supposed to be pretty hard. Shall report back with findings.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
So I decided to jump on this little bandwagon and play a randomized version of Pokemon yellow.

I forgot how to even...

- Pikachu is a Rock type, and his movepool currently consists solely of fighting moves and metronome. Confuse Ray is pretty handy.

- Weedle's line was godly during the Route 1 through Pewter city phase because of Sonic Boom. It started out Normal/Fire, then Ground/Flying, and suddenly lost all of its cool points by becoming a pure Bug with Beedrill (ah beedrill, you always were a disappointment)

- The first route was actually tough because the Ratatta's were Poison type and all carried Waterfall... freakin' WATERFALL at single digit levels and they were effective against my poor Pikachu. Hell, I lost my rival battle because Evee somehow got that move, too.

- Seeing Magikarp with grass typing, grass moves, and living in the tall grass in Viridian Forest made me smile. Too bad they're horrible to grind against with their low exp yield.

- Got a Caterpie that knows Crab Hammer and Spore among its level-up moves. As a Butterfree, it even gets Recover. I'm keeping this guy no matter what. It started out Fire/Bug for both stages until finally becoming a Ground type in its final evo.

- It was here I also started imagining just how a Magikarp would vine whip, or a Metapod would jump kick...

- Saw wild Squirtles and Dratinis on the intro route to victory road and cried out of disappointment that they never stay in Poke Balls almost no matter what.

- Nidoran (male) got bug/ice typing, but a surprisingly good set of moves with both vine whip, thundershock, stun spore and jump kick.

- Jigglypuff is a dragon... This is meme-worthy shit.

- The first trainer in Pewter Gym pulled out a Zapdos, and Brock led off his team with Mew. Thankfully, they weren't that tough to deal with.

- Tentacruel is my freakin' bane in this game. Both encounters were with trainers, and it's movepool is OP as siiiiin (It gets Earthquake, Sword Dance, Sky Attack and Twineedle within the level 8-14 range). It has Fire typing for some reason, too.

- This is the only time ever where I've feared encountering Pidgey, too. It's Poison/Water and knows Twineedle early, dealing sizable damage and poisoning my pokes.

- The worst encounter I've had so far is Mr. Mime. After checking my data file, it apparently got GHOST/DRAGON as it's type combination, it first appeared replacing the Jigglypuff trainer on road to Mt. Moon, and it knew Rock Slide and Flamethrower. It nearly wiped out my entire team until I got a lucky shot from my Beedrill.

This made my game a lot more interesting! Definitely harder, though, since you never know when some trainer will pull out a mon that outclasses yours by leagues. I'm actually glad I'm not nuzlocking this.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
i love the idea of druidic grassy magikarp
- Jigglypuff is a dragon... This is meme-worthy shit.

Jiggly-Puff the Magic Dragon

You won the lottery with the Caterpie, though.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Just got into Pocket Mortys. A pokemon parody, Rick & Morty game. It's hilarious!
Ratty524
Tried out Sonic Lost World thanks to the steam sale. I played it through the first world.

... You know, is it wrong for me to say that this isn't as bad as a game as the fanbase makes it out to be? There is actual non-linear level design in a 3D sonic game for once. The environment is varied and colorful, and there is plenty of variety in its gameplay that actually feels welcome. I also like how Sonic feels more controllable even when running. Like, in Sonic Generations, Modern Sonic would blitz through stuff at roller-coaster speed and it felt unruly, but the slower Sonic here actually gives me better control over him.

If there is anything that truly sucks about this game so far, it's the over-complicated controls. Why did we need two different homing attacks? Why does running have to be a button you press, especially since there are so few spots in the levels of these games that warrant not going fast? That part just consistently kills the pace of the game. The parkour system is also a bit broken, as it triggers every single time you run up a wall while running, whether you want to or not. It actually makes controlling Sonic feel a bit awkward.

Ultimately, if the controls were simplified and the level design was a bit less blocky, this would have been a great Sonic game.

----------------

As for my Pokemon Yellow randomized run, I found a new enemy: Pyschic Rapidash with Earthquake, Hyrdro Pump, Quick Attack and Dizzy Punch. Made the path to Bill's House a nightmare, since a majority of the trainers there carried one. The generator popped up with a disproportionately large amount of Rock type Pokemon, giving me few options to defend against it, and my team has no Bug moves, so fighting this thing was hell.

I'm starting to get to the npcs that offer starters and seeing some hilarity. The guy who gives Charmander gives you a Goldeen instead, and tells you to take good care of Charmander. Similarly, the chick who nurses the Bulbasaur instead gives you a Seadra and acts as if it's her Bulba. Kind of shows how this game was programmed. xD

My current team so far:

Rattata - Poison / Knows Waterfall, Slam, Submission and Petal Dance
Pikachu - Rock / Knows Bubblebeam, Jump Kick, Seismic Toss and Confuse Ray
Growlithe - Ghost / Knows Dig, Comet Punch, Water Gun and Toxic
Clefairy - Ghost/Electric / Knows Smog, Razor Leaf, Bubble and Ice Beam
Voltorb - Flying / Knows Rolling Kick, Double Kick, Roar and Rage
Butterfree - Ground / Knows Sludge, Crabhammer, Spore and Recover
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
At the moment, I'm playing Transistor. This is a really neat game.
Craze
Transistor is incredible! Waaaay better than Bastion. Glad to see it get some more love.

I'm really close to finishing Lightning Returns. I beat all the main quests, so now I'm just getting stronger until the finale happens (took me 9 days, if you care). I'm glad to be able to wrap it up after 35 hours because I have other games to play, but I'll be sad to see it go all the same. It has easily become one of my most favorite games and I think that it will resonate through a lot of my work going forward.

I'm also near the end of Undertale, although my game time has been focused on LR. I might take a break to beat UT though, just because I'm in the calm before the storm in LR.

Still casually playing FFXIV and League. Betatesting Ara Fell, of course. I have two other RM* games to test soon too, and I just bought Shadow of Mordor for cheap so I plan on picking that up as my next "main game", maybe? I should probably keep working on my own project too...
I like Transistor too. I'll have to disagree with Craze. I think Bastion is better, story wise (and Logan Cunningham as the Narrator is pretty darn sexual) But the soundtrack for both games are amazing.

I'm slowly making my way through Persona 4 Golden. And in my opinion, Persona 4 Golden is to Persona 4 what Scholar of the First Sin is to Dark Souls 2. A chance to rediscover the game, and fall in love with it over again.

I also got my hands on a hitherto unnoticed by myself called Aeterno Blade, and I'm convinced it was somehow made by the same team that made Dragon Valor, as there are so many similarities.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm having SO MUCH FUN with Darkest Dungeon. I waited until the final release a couple days ago to buy the game, instead of buying the early access. From an indie development standpoint I'm sure early access is an extremely useful way to not go broke, but from a player standpoint I'd rather be patient and play a better version of the game.

The difficulty is perfect so far, it's challenging and occasionally you get very unlucky but the game is designed with failure in mind. Characters can and will permanently die, but the max level is only 6 anyway, and replacement characters are free. Town upgrades are your main type of permanent progression, and work sort of like the base upgrades in an RTS game. It's similar to X-Com in that way.

The voiceovers and art are amazing, and are what got me initially interested. They didn't have to also have fun and balanced gameplay. I would've enjoyed it without that.
I just got through the end of Disc 2 on Legend of Dragoon last night. I was expected the disc boss to be a lot harder than it ended up being- even having accidentally neutered two of my party members by changing to additions I didn't know how to pull off yet before the battle, I still got through it without too much trouble in the end. (Although the fact that I've built Dart in such a way that he gets a Dragoon Level or more every turn may have had something to do with it.)

I'm guessing that it'll be a 40-50 hour investment, since I'm at around 20 hours even at the halfway point in discs.

Ever since I stopped playing Oracle of Ages I've been considering either picking up Shovel Knight or Final Fantasy IV or VI Advance as a second game to sink some time into, but I haven't made a decision yet.

Over the weekend I played some Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes with my friend, and it was fantastic. One of the best puzzle games I've played in a long, long time. I was really surprised at how exciting they were able to make reading a manual feel, honestly. I'm looking forward to playing it some more as well as eventually setting it up with a printed off/bound manual and a VR Headset.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I bought Shovel Knight last week. It was extremely fun, but if you're not interested in achievements and challenges, it's only about six hours long.

FF4 Advance has way way way better new content than FF6 Advance, assuming you've already played previous versions of both games. FF6 Advance merely adds a terrible new dungeon that looks like someone's first attempt at using RPG Maker. FF4 Advance adds two much higher quality dungeons, plus five extra playable characters.

I'm interested in Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes based purely on the name.

A friend of mine summarized Darkest Dungeon's gameplay: "repeatedly taking risks that aren't worth it until you lose everything."
Craze
LockeZ
I'm having SO MUCH FUN with Darkest Dungeon. I waited until the final release a couple days ago to buy the game, instead of buying the early access. From an indie development standpoint I'm sure early access is an extremely useful way to not go broke, but from a player standpoint I'd rather be patient and play a better version of the game.

The difficulty is perfect so far, it's challenging and occasionally you get very unlucky but the game is designed with failure in mind. Characters can and will permanently die, but the max level is only 6 anyway, and replacement characters are free. Town upgrades are your main type of permanent progression, and work sort of like the base upgrades in an RTS game. It's similar to X-Com in that way.

The voiceovers and art are amazing, and are what got me initially interested. They didn't have to also have fun and balanced gameplay. I would've enjoyed it without that.

Good to hear. I avoided picking it up because I heard it had some rocky/iffy changes during early access. I definitely want to try it at some point!

I also want Shovel Knight but I'm waiting for 70-80% off.
@LockeZ: Keep talking and No-one explodes is a pretty cool game but it requires two people to play and they either both need to have the game or be next to each other. Basically one has a bomb manual - and irl booklet) and the other has the bomb (which is on the screen). They have to talk back and forth to figure out which wires to cut/symbols to press/numbers to enter/etc.

It'd be interesting if you were skyping with a friend who had the game, that's for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtfvlE_QDHY
There's some gameplay, if you want to check it out.
Only one of you needs the game, unless both of you want to take turns defusing. Technically you can just trade Steam accounts too, or authorize their account to play your game.
Craze
i took the break to beat undertale. i'm not sure why so many people are now trying to imitate it because nothing will be as undertale as undertale and any "bizzare" attempts to are just... futile. damn. what a trip.
Ratty524
author=Craze
i took the break to beat undertale. i'm not sure why so many people are now trying to imitate it because nothing will be as undertale as undertale and any "bizzare" attempts to are just... futile. damn. what a trip.

People will always try to imitate what is popular without actually doing the work in deconstructing it to actually figure out what makes that popular thing good.

Pretty much sums up the Mascot Craze back in the '90s (though some good came from it).
author=Pizza
Only one of you needs the game, unless both of you want to take turns defusing. Technically you can just trade Steam accounts too, or authorize their account to play your game.

Really? Is there an online manual or something, because I thought the manual was only irl and not online? It'd make it more possible to play if it were online, at least.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I picked up Final Fantasy X-2 HD last night since I only ever played a few minutes of it back when it first came out and I really need some gameplay inspiration. I had tried Trails in the Sky having heard everyone raving about it but it was a snoozefest and I couldn't force myself to play any more of it.

X-2 has some really cool ideas for the class system, but it's a shame that I'm two hours into the game and have won every single battle (including two bosses) by just mashing X on the Attack button. I have never used a single spell, ability, or item in battle yet. And this is a shame because the concept of the skill progression system is interesting but I don't feel incentivized to use any of the abilities I've been learning.

It also suffers from the same problem that almost every ATB game has: even when I set it to Wait mode, enemies continue taking turns while I deliberate on the main menu, which is the one menu here I spend most of my time, so I feel like I'm given no breathing room to strategize, which makes me even more inclined to just mash Attack.

I can definitely see how the gameplay was a prototype for FFXIII's, and you can easily see how they iterated on the idea and finally made it work by removing the random encounters and adding heal between encounters, such that battles are allowed to be challenging enough to encourage (and actually require) thinking.