[COMMUNITY PROJECT] MISSIONGARDE -- CLASS REFINING IN PROGRESS

author=ChaosProductions link=topic=3474.msg69891#msg69891 date=1239155909
I vote we go for 4-color Game-Boy style graphics, complete with frame around the field view.

HEH I always wanted to do something like this.
LIST 4

POACHER: Advanced (700)
Rejecting the Tamer way, they live for the thrill of the hunt.
Stats
FIGHT
HUNTING (MAGIC)
SCAN: Lists all combat data on a single enemy.
ITEM
ESCAPE
--------
(Each spell does x3 the amount of damage from FIGHT to monsters of the associated class, depending on level/quarter)
(SlvrArrow), (Burial), (WyrmKilr), (BugSpray), (etc)
--------
Resist NONE; Immune NONE; Weakness NONE
Average LV.UP
Equipment Classes: Light; Physical; Crossbow/Bow/Knives/Axes/Whips/Boomerangs/Spears

SUMMONER: Advanced (1200)
Conjurers of lore(tm), they call upon higher forces for aide.
Stats
FIGHT
SUMMON (MAGIC)
COMMUNE: Minor Self MP recovery; must be used before using SUMMON skills
ITEM
ESCAPE
--------
(Salamndr): Minor All Fire spell (START)
(Efreet): Major All Fire spell (Q2)
(Phoenix): Massive All Fire spell (Q3)
(Yeti): Minor All Ice spell (START)
(Wendigo): Major All Ice spell (Q2)
(SnowQueen): Massive All Ice spell (Q3)
(Wil'o'Wsp): Minor All Lightning spell (START)
(ThndrBird): Major All Lightning spell (Q2)
(Raiden): Massive All Lightning spell (Q3)
(Naiad): Minor All Water spell (Q1)
(Naga): Major All Water spell (Q2)
(Poseidon): Massive All Water spell (Q3)
(Whirlwind): Minor All Wind spell (Q1)
(Djinni): Major All Wind spell (Q2)
(Nin'lil): Massive All Wind spell (Q3)
(Dryad): Minor All Earth spell (Q1)
(Golem): Major All Earth spell (Q2)
(Titan): Massive All Earth spell (Q3)
--------
Resist NONE; Immune NONE; Weakness NONE
Average LV.UP
Equipment Classes: Light; Magic; Personal Set ONLY (Chakram)

SCHOLAR: Advanced (950)
Rather than create their own skills, they simply use their opponents!
Stats
FIGHT
LEARNED (MAGIC)
STUDY: If hit with an enemy-exclusive skill before next turn, that skill is added to LEARNED
ITEM
ESCAPE
--------
(Can obtain and use all enemy-exclusive skils via STUDY)
--------
Resist DISCORD, FEAR; Immune CHAOS; Weakness BERSERK
Average LV.UP
Equipment Classes: Light; Physical/Magic; Swords/Clubs/Maces; Personal Set Available (Tomes; Armor)
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
1. Where did monk come from?
2. Can all further listings of classes adhere to a sane format, please?

As for class advancement, here is roughly how it works...once you complete the first 33% of the game (call it midway through Q2) you have the chance to choose from up to four ADVANCED CLASSES, depending on your basic class. Then, when you are about 66% of the way through the game (say at the end of Q3) you can choose ONE ELITE CLASS. Now while an Advanced choice gives you more options (there are more Advanced classes than anything else) Advanced classes filter down into a smaller amount of Elite classes. This is a pretty arbitrary example since it's based on an incomplete list.

BASIC TO ADVANCED
Soldier -> (Magic Hunter, Monk, or Carnitank)
Knight -> (Bard or Carnitank)
Raider -> (Tamer, Garou, Magic Hunter, or Poacher)

ADVANCED TO ELITE
Magic Hunter, Carnitank, Garou, Poacher, Tamer > Barbarian
Monk -> God Hand

(Bard omitted, I don't see an elite class appropriate for it, yet.)

In case anyone finds that confusing, I'll do another example for the magic classes. This one is even more arbitrary because it's filtering everything down to four elite classes when in the end I hope we'll have about six or seven.

BASIC TO ADVANCED
Druid > (Tamer, Monk, Garou)
Mage > (Cryomancer, Summoner, Randomizer)
Cleric > (Cultist, Summoner, Monk)

Monk > God Hand
Tamer, Garou > Barbarian
Cultist, Summoner > Wizard
Cryomancer, Randomizer > Archmage

(That reminds me, can someone explain to me succinctly the difference between Wizard and Archmage? I don't get it.)

So, does everyone understand what I meant by graduating from one tier to another based on class?

By the way, I HAVE MORE CLASS IDEAS TO SUBMIT BUT I CANNOT DO THEM AT THE RATE THAT YOU PEOPLE CAN. Please leave two or three slots for me on advanced and elite, I'd really appreciate it.
@Max McGee:
Kentona slipped Monk in before I started the first list.

The point pf the lists was to condense all the classes into a few posts, instead of spread throughout the thread, in case the thread gets longer than maybe 6-7 pages (it's likely). It makes them easier to find and helps people evaluate what hasn't been done yet. Also, it isn't THAT illegible...

I agree with the advancement system. Will it be DQIII style or a simple menu-based upgrade?

The Wizard class can use ALLSPELL (MAGIC), which is every spell in the game. The Archmage class can only use BLACK (MAGIC), but can DOUBLCAST it. Also the Wizard class exceeds the max INT limit of 7, making it the strongest caster in the game.

We'll have to see if there's still space left for you, but you've already contributed a handful of classes, though. I wouldn't get too upset if the slots get filled up by people visiting this thread for the first time. I still want to throw in a couple more, myself.
Max McGee
I think Wizard and Archmage should do a name switch then, at least with the set up I just gave there.
author=Max McGee link=topic=3474.msg70144#msg70144 date=1239301009
I think Wizard and Archmage should do a name switch then, at least with the set up I just gave there.

I concur. Sounds more Archmagey and Wizardy that way.
Well, I called it Archmage, since it was basically a DOUBLECAST version of a Mage.

I made the Wizard be the caster of all things, because Wizards are the shiznit! Word.

Anywho, since had to I make the worldmap for the worldbuilding, I had to make...

EXECUTIVE DECISION #1:

The sytle is henceforth NES

MODIFY:

So, I want someone with some style to make a title screen (and maybe a sig?). Right now I have this:

...which I whipped up in less than 15mins. The font is Cardinal over at dafont.com. You don't have to use that font, but just so you know what I used.

MODIFY #2:

There was a design question I meant to ask.

1. How do people feel about Max's Advancement system (in general)? Yay/Nay?
2. IF WE USE IT, should we drop the number of blank slate characters from 8 to 4?

I ask, because with a semi-linear advancement system, having a bunch of playable characters seems unnecessary. My original justification for 8 PCs was because I was expecting a large plethora of classes available all the time, which wouldn't exist in an advancement system.
Max McGee
Well there would be nine basic classes starting out, so even with eight PCs, you couldn't see all possible classes (let alone all combinations) in one play through. So I would say keep 8 PCs. But four would be fine too.
author=AeroGP link=topic=3474.msg70095#msg70095 date=1239254985
(WarMarch): All BIKILL (Start)

HeroicMarch doesn't give Bikill. If we're going with only status effects for affecting stats, then it should be made to fill some other purpose.
I couldn't imagine it working the other way, but my memory of RM2k3's mechanics is limited. Anyone's free to correct me on this.
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
Here are some title screens I came up with. Title three is my favorite.

On the third title, isn't the bottom left a picture of the lich king from warcraft III?
Something more NES like perhaps? Can't decide on colors.

Max McGee
Darken wins. I can't decide which color scheme I like better either. Probably the second one. Vaguely reminds me of chrysalis, which is a really good thing. (Hey Darken, would you mind taking a stab at the ghostlight logo contest? )
The first one reminds me of ancient PC gaming with an amazing four colours

Go with the second
(also yes nes style)
I like the black one darken. ^.^

It sounds like a good advancement system if we had fewer characters. Maybe if we drop the number to 6 instead of 8 - just as a compromise. Or if we do have four instead, perhaps have it so that you can hire other classes for a certain amount of time?

I don't know. This is why I stick to 2-4 characters. ^.^;
Not wild about my colors, but I'm doing this before going to bed...

Old school Swords & Serpents marries Crystalis and has a bastard child on a bed of Golden Axe...

EDIT: Shrunk the size of the year.
I like Darken's black one, and MA's.
DE
*click to edit*
The blue one looks much more like a real NES title screen.

I'd remove the glow (border) from the lettering, it's awful. Also get rid of the antialiasing on the moon, not only is it un-NES-ish, but seems out of place with nothing else on the screen being antialiased.