THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Some screenshots of our teams' entry, Darga:

LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=slashphoenix
Who did all those fantastic profile images, you two?

A very talented artist with a Blogspot full of neat resources. Craze has the specifics.
author=thatbennyguy

there are better ways to relate darkness to the player than to make the map completely impossible to navigate. at the very least, the player should be able to make out the basic shape of the room they're in so they're not fumbling around for tens of minutes just because the game's creators decided that a light source can only work in a five-foot sphere because of ~*~atmosphere~*~. this is one of those cases where an uncreative application of a concept (darkness) actively hampers a game's basic, fundamental playability. you're going to need to be very careful that the player doesn't just miss something because they aren't aware the place it's in exists.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=mawk
author=thatbennyguy

there are better ways to relate darkness to the player than to make the map completely impossible to navigate. at the very least, the player should be able to make out the basic shape of the room they're in so they're not fumbling around for tens of minutes just because the game's creators decided that a light source can only work in a five-foot sphere because of ~*~atmosphere~*~. this is one of those cases where an uncreative application of a concept (darkness) actively hampers a game's basic, fundamental playability. you're going to need to be very careful that the player doesn't just miss something because they weren't aware the place it's in existed.

I have to agree. Although I understand what you're going for, games that have done this in the past (especially things like Dragon Warrior) just make every place feel like a "fuck you" dungeon where the developer just felt like wasting your time and patience without even a trace of sympathy. You can have a lantern that illuminates a small area, just make the rest of the room anything but absolute black.

In cases like this (even with radiant or a torch) the player has no way to grasp where they are at in terms of the layout of the dungeon (made even worse by the overly simple graphics) and as such cannot really come to appreciate their trek through it.
A dream scene for one of my characters.

See if this scene reminds any of you of anything.

C'mon someone must remember the game.
I'll give you an extra hint, it's one of my games that I canceled. And it was an XP game.

And it had tree circles.
@mawk Yes, that is a legitimate concern. I have decided to combat the confusion of small visibility range by providing them with a "torch-like" front light in the direction they are facing, combined with small maps, usually 17x13 in size. Interiors will often take even less than this.

You should be able to comfortably see every edge of the room even when pivoting on one spot, but I mainly made the light just because I wanted to implement some "turn-around" scares, when the player gets to the end of the corridor and turns around the corner, he will see a monster, and a relevant sound effect will happen. As the monster comes ever closer, I want the player to scramble around the house to combine/craft household items into a makeshift weapon that will destroy the monster. Only seeing a limited line of sight *in front of the player* helped create that immersion.

If it wasn't integral to gameplay I would consider scrapping it altogether, but I believe it contributes to the kind of decisions with limited visual knowledge I want to create.
yeah, I sort of regretted being so harsh on you afterward since you seem to be addressing it at least a bit with small environmental lights to suggest the overall shape of the room. I think (if the script you're using allows this) a good compromise would be to lighten the screen tone of the un-illuminated areas just enough so that the shape of the rooms can be made out -- not enough to see fine detail, but enough to know when there's a space to navigate towards. I've never felt that pitch blackness is a good way to implement darkness. if nothing else, there's some good horror potential in things that can only be barely seen, and you might find it interesting to explore that.
Awww, nobody remembers (and/or has blocked it out) The New Earth.
@mawk Yes that's a good point. It's due on October 31st for All Hallows, but if I had a longer timeframe, I would try to find or develop a script that had a fog-of-war, that events could not be seen around corners but everything else could be seen clearly. Then you see the entire map's outline whilst not being able to see anything outside of your character's first-person perspective. It'd probably be a useful script with all these horrors coming out, too.
author=Corfaisus

In cases like this (even with radiant or a torch) the player has no way to grasp where they are at in terms of the layout of the dungeon (made even worse by the overly simple graphics) and as such cannot really come to appreciate their trek through it.
I was able to navigate the Mountain Cave without the use of a torch. Go and get the herb on the top floor and then get the two special chests in the bottom floor (sometimes you can find the cursed necklace!)
author=bulmabriefs144

Ganon: "You dare bring light into my lair? YOU MUST DIE!"

Though on a more serious note, the map is in desperate need of detail. Also, why is the character nearly as tall as the house. In fact, he is as tall as the house, if not taller!

Also, given how disproportionate the character is compared to the size of the door, the only way he's getting into that house is if he casts Mini or Toad on himself.

Props to using a text colour that doesn't clash with the background, and in fact, I'd say the text looks best without a text box because someone is speaking telepathically with you. However, that black box around the Triforce sticks out like white on black (or vice versa).
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=LouisCyphre
author=slashphoenix
Who did all those fantastic profile images, you two?
A very talented artist with a Blogspot full of neat resources. Craze has the specifics.

Oh neat! I didn't know if it was one of you.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u85u9npfigbafbh/Screenshot%202013-10-16%2015.59.18.png

I have the misfortune in that our keys are properly mapped just yet and Pause is set to Alt, so I can't alt printscreen. Sadface.
author=GamingMitchell03232013
author=bulmabriefs144

Ganon: "You dare bring light into my lair? YOU MUST DIE!"

Though on a more serious note, the map is in desperate need of detail. Also, why is the character nearly as tall as the house. In fact, he is as tall as the house, if not taller!

Also, given how disproportionate the character is compared to the size of the door, the only way he's getting into that house is if he casts Mini or Toad on himself.

It's supposed to be that way.

Btw, the original image.

It's ummmm, slightly better, but it's a dream based on an ummm bad trip down memory lane.

I'll see what can be done about the triforce.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS

This is from a little platformer I'm working on :) Making the levels is pretty fun, but I'm still stuck on some of the in-between bits...

I also made a little Vine of it 'cuz it all looks prettier while moving
author=slashphoenix
This is from a little platformer I'm working on :) Making the levels is pretty fun, but I'm still stuck on some of the in-between bits...

I also made a little Vine of it 'cuz it all looks prettier while moving

That looks smooth, are those trail renderers or something?

Halloween Game progress now that we've managed to put down Pokemon X/Y for a bit...

slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Yup! They're just basic little trail renderers. I kept everything pretty flat texture-wise and it makes the color pop out a lot in this weird, crisp way :)

I like your creepy bug thing, the texture is beautiful!
author=slashphoenix
Yup! They're just basic little trail renderers. I kept everything pretty flat texture-wise and it makes the color pop out a lot in this weird, crisp way :)

I like your creepy bug thing, the texture is beautiful!

Simple models with really nice hand-crafted textures make-up for how poor we are at modeling compared to pros who spend dozens of hours on each model. : )

I might as well share some screenshots that I've been working on. This was made in RPGmaker VX Ace, though instead of using the default high resolution graphics, I've converted some of the older ones. I think it all fits together fairly well, though I am open to suggestions.

For context, all of these screenshots were taken from the primary 'hub' city in the game. You can view the full map here, though I did splice together those screenshots at an earlier point in development, so there may be some minor discrepancies.

Titlescreen:

The Docks:

The Smithy:

Part of the Market District:

Just messing around with an idea. Thoughts? How about the shadows? I want to do something simple so it has some depth, but doesn't take long to fiddle with details.