THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

man this thread is hard to follow. so many overlapping conversations and images and dear lord can't we do better?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I dunno, it seems pretty okay right now.
author=LockeZ
I dunno, it seems pretty okay right now.
maybe if you follow it every day multiple times a day. But whenever I browse it I only ever see 2 or 3 images but conversations stretching back 3 pages to images posted 5 pages ago.
Some UI and scene management tasks completed this week. Can freely and easily load any new scene just with a game.scene('scene') method, cleaning up after itself and compartmentalizing everything. This means I can easily have things like a title screen, stage select screen, actual stage gameplay, "weapon get!" screen, shop screen, etc, etc.

UI-related stuff includes menus, windows, and text classes to quickly build interfaces for things like options or whatever. My menu class can get its elements from wherever. For example, the work-in-progress Stage Select scene populates its menu by grabbing all files that begin with "map_". It means new levels can easily be added by users provided they know how to use the Tiled Map Editor. Window sizes can be fixed or will scale with the size of its contents. Any text object can be rendered at whatever speed, such that '0' is instantaneous and '3' would increment the text one character every three gameloop cycles. My text class works by iterating through a string, grabbing the ascii value of each character, and then using that as a frame index for my font "animation." I say animation because my font bitmap is loaded as an animation object, such that it slices up each letter into a list of frames.

Also a radial quick-menu for toggling weapon components on and off. Haven't really done the graphics for this stuff yet. Using one of the bitmap fonts I had for Necropolis and hacked together a 24px window skin just so I had something to test with.

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/2988/locker/nm_014.png
http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/2988/locker/nm_015.png
http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/2988/locker/nm_016.png

WIP cave dungeon room. Other than a lot of repetition with the stalagmites and the paths being very linear, I can't see a whole lot of flaws.
I actually really like the composition of that map!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
gamingmitchell, your layout is quite nice like kentona said, but ease up on the rocks. they just clutter everything up. especially since they're in perfect 32x32 tiles, it just looks weird, like tilevomit. try being more purposeful and aesthetic with your decorations!

here's how i'd do a portion of your map:

I'll definitely ease up on the rocks. Lots of detail is nice, but it can become an issue if it makes movement very limited. I'll remember that for now on. My original map will remain the same, but I'll take your tips into account for future caves.
Just a volcano puzzle sort of thing. You need to refill a bucket full of water so that you can create bridges in the lava which lets the party cross safely.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that the characters clash with the Tileset. Just my ¢2 though.
author=Craze
gamingmitchell, your layout is quite nice like kentona said, but ease up on the rocks. they just clutter everything up. especially since they're in perfect 32x32 tiles, it just looks weird, like tilevomit. try being more purposeful and aesthetic with your decorations!

<image with bigger paths>

Three tile rule.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
thatunimaginativeguy
author=Craze

<image with bigger paths>
Three tile rule.

f
u
c
k

y
o
u

(◕ ‿ ◕ ✿)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=GamingMitchell03232013
Maybe it's just me, but I feel that the characters clash with the Tileset. Just my ¢2 though.

It's not unusual or even necessarily bad for characters and tilesets to be done in sorta-different styles; it makes the characters pop and seem important.

However size is still important, and in this case the main problem is that the wooden sign is way too big compared to the people. Everything else is rocks and can therefore be whatever size it wants.
author=LockeZ
It's not unusual or even necessarily bad for characters and tilesets to be done in sorta-different styles; it makes the characters pop and seem important.

That's true. I guess I forgot about Heroes Realm and Legend of Denadel, where the FF 1-5 sprites stand out a lot.
One does not simply forget about Hero's Realm

Layout for the a room of the same dungeon. Once again, it's WIP. I think this layout is better than the 1st room's because there's more space to roam around in it.
LockeZ
A good starting point, but it needs doodads, which I assume is something you already know and is why you called it a "layout" instead of a "screenshot"

But man VX Ace seriously needs some diagonal cave walls
author=LockeZ

This. Diagonal walls would probably make most if not all VX interiors look boss.
author=LockeZ
This. Diagonal walls would probably make most if not all VX interiors look boss.

HERETIC

Short RPG Im working on for the RPGToolkit.
all original graphics