THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Changes to the environment after the summon is taken. For example, a volcano would suddenly go dormant, loosing all the lava (and possibly making new paths to explore/find treasure in. Double points if the summon is optional and not tied to the story so that the treasures can be really good - since you don't HAVE to get the summon, the chances of getting the treasures after beating the summon is much lowered) or an ice cave that turns into a water cave (melted ice) where you have to take different paths since it's now flooding. Cool things like that. They're a lot more work but worth it in the end.
@Dookie: Aye, I just do a rough draft before any finishing touches, in the event that I have to change anything else before doing any curves or stuff. The lava I just fixed (I gotta remember Shift mapping works well for that part...). As for the roofs, that's how ALL of my maps looks inside (for caves really. For houses and buildings, it's pitch-black roof, but not for caves. Why? I don't know...maybe I'm massochistic and like to put extra things on top of the walls for extra flavor @_@; ).

As for the lava thingie with the different tile, I know. That's on purpose really. I could just replace it with the other lava pool since it's the same darn thing though.

@LockeZ: Hmm...I'd have to run a Parallel Event in each area for if a summoner is beaten on the map then to make sure it stays 0 Encounter, right?

@Liberty: Ho boy lol. That's a neato idea, but man would that be hellish to work with. I know some of the Touhou fangames did something KINDA like that (I think anyways...I don't remember if Genius of Sapphieros and Devil of Decline did. Though I know DoD had raising and lowering water levels with affected the maps). I wouldn't even know WHERE to begin doing that, especially seeing the list right now (which still needs trimmed). And yes, NONE of these guys are tied to the story at all and are kinda just there. Have your big FF reference dungeon, even though the entire game has had multiple references to the series! lol

Also of note, you never obtain these summons (your summoner of the game pretty much has all but 3 of the summons in the game. I feel like I could vary up/make her summons a bit more versatile but not sure how. I'd need to brainstorm skills later to rebalance them anyways), so that's why they're just random encounters right now. Originally some of them were going to be minibosses, not sure if I'll do that or not.
You'd just have to have duplicate versions of the maps that you teleport to instead after the summon is defeated. It's really not as big an issue as you make it out to be - the work would be in remapping the areas to be different and planning out the maps before-hand to figure out defining landmarks that would change depending on what occurred - say a lava river that when dried up turns into a shortcut. You'd have to figure where it cuts to and have it shown to do so (except in lava form) in the original version of the map. Really, it's not that it'd be hard, per se, just takes a bit of time to do.
Well, I know that. It's the planning things out beforehand with mapping that's hellish for me lol. I am not good at planning things with maps. x_x;
Ok so I've done some more work on my project, and I'm having alot of difficulty with the rooftop. I've tried numerous iterations of shingle patterns and remade them until I'm blue in the face. Some examples of what I've tried:

In the first pic there I'm getting this banding effect going around the roof that I don't want because I can't get it to tile seamlessly (which is a shame because I really kind of like the shingle that I made there).

The second one I've eliminated the banding but the side shingles now don't look right or (they look fakeish).

My general method thus far is to make an 8 x 8 frame for the initial shingle, drawing in the shingle pattern I want and then drawing an 8x8 frame diagonally and approximating the pattern i put on the first one.

Bellow are the two relevant tilesheets if anyone would tell me what it is I'm doing wrong I'd be very appreciative.

Ok major update, I've managed to fix alot of the issues I've had with the roof and added a frame to the edges. I dunno how I feel about the overall look though, somethings still not right maybe? What do you guys think.

@chaosvine: I'm not sure endless updates to the same area is really what the screenshot topic is for. You're showing a lot of progress, but maybe it's time to make a devoted topic for this project of yours?
I wasn't aware we were allowed to make threads for our own games. I thought we were restricted to posting about it in certain areas of the forums. This is the one I was directed to when I joined. Sorry if I'm upsetting anyone, I'm new and just trying to get feedback. :(
The screenshot topic is basically for you to as for critique on a few images. It isn't for constant updates. Basically, if you read back through it a bit, you'll see that people post an image or two, work for a while on their game, then come back and post either an update of the area after it's been greatly changed or with something else entirely. You may see a few people come up with something, get some feedback, then come right back with a revision, but it's only once or twice to tweak something - not for the same map over and over again.

This topic is to talk about what you're working on - again, not seeking help for every little change, just a general "this is what I'm doing, does it look okay" for more than just images - tilesets, for example. The Screenshot thread is for getting critique on screens of your game, but not by asking for help with every tiny change.

Work on your project - on refining your tiles - for a few days, then report back, asking what needs changing, if something looks odd or not. Spamming up a thread with constant asks just makes people more likely to ignore your posts. Just, take a small break and focus on the project.

As for what's wring with your image, the slanted roof tiles should edge against wall, not climb the roof. It's set at the same height as the walls so it should not be 'climbing' the roof. Like so:

If you turned the house on its side you'd see those jutting out areas like the middle part = that is, straight roof above a wall. Thus, the areas under the edge of the roof would be walls, no ceiling. I really recommend you check out how Mack deals with this issue, as his tiles used peaked roofs really well.

Also, the green and red circles show odd tiling/missing tiles.
(And no, making threads for your own projects isn't allowed.)

Probably last map I'mma post for this dungeon really. Just a map where you fight the first miniboss, dunno who it'll be yet (was thinking maybe Ifrit, since it's a fire-themed area, but that'd assume I'd have an ice cave tileset to use for a later room for Shiva, a lightning thingie for Ramuh, etc. And I honestly don't think I have all of that to do that. Really would like to do the environmental change thing, but that's quite a bit of work to pull off >_< )

There'll probably be a few more things strewn about here and there on the ground. But hey look! A map that is actually kinda small for a cave! Well, small in terms of the walkways anyways...also yes, I made THESE particular damage floors have random encounters too, so yeah...
On a sidenote .. I hate ff for making making people think Shiva is female and ice-themed. But hey :)
Although I'd say a fire spirit or winged creature of smoke of any sorts in a fire cave does not necessarily require there to be others elements
Wait, isn't Shiva a fire-bringer? And isn't Shiva's both male and female? Beginning and end, and all that jazz...

As for the screen...
I think it's kinda large, and with random encounters present on chokepoints, won't that be a bit annoying for the player? I mean, its gonna take a looooong while for a player to travel from point A to point B.

Just saying...
@Kylaila: Hey, just sticking with the FF side of things for this dungeon for the enemies. Blame them, not me. And no, it doesn't HAVE to be an elemental cave, but seeing as this cave is full of FF summons anyways...

@karins_soulkeeper: It's a 1/80 chance per step for an encounter. There's no overworld fights here, except with the minibosses. So it's actually not as bad as you'd think. In all honesty, I don't think it's that far of a travel myself.
Xenomic, I thought you were using the default 1/30 chance. That would've been annoying. There won't be any problems about the map then.
About the travel-time, maybe that's just me. I kinda hate walking for miles, just to open a chest containing 12G/1x potion/monster-in-a-box.
Aye, I changed the random encounter rate to best fit my own maps, since they can get pretty lengthy (100x100 is generally the absolute largest I will go with any map, and that's usually only with putting multiple rooms on a single map. 50x50 or 60x60 is usually the largest otherwise). Plus, I have No Encounter Items/Abilities around as well as Double Overworld Speed passive and whatnot, so yeah...^^;;

I try to make the chests at least worthwhile, though they're often crafting materials since well...I would LIKE for my crafting system to be utilized but at this rate? Not sure if it will...
Xenomic, I hope you aren't using the default encounter system because it has issues... namely, you still have a high chance to get under-ten-step encounters no matter what number you put in.
Really? That's odd...I do have it set (thanks to Locke from ages ago) that after any given fight, you will not get into another random encounter for the next 10 steps so...there's that going too. But yes, it does use the default encounter system. In all honesty though, there's been several times on my own maps that I've gone through maps and never get into a single fight on some screens, even on big maps, so...I dunno. \ o /
I don't use random encounters, so I never really noticed this.
Do you know why this is the case, though, Liberty?
Ok, before I continue the design for this dungeon...should I just axe this one entirely? It is a filler dungeon after all, and I'm pretty sure it can be cut out and nothing of value is really lost (except the 2-3 days I spent working on this dungeon right now...). Of course, then I'd have to relocate the FF Summons to other areas because I still want to use them...>_<
Xenomic, I don't think fillers are good in any way. So if you really think this map's nothing but that, then go ahead.

But you could potentially turn this into an optional dungeon. Like a side-quest map or something. At least, the days you spent on it won't be wasted completely...
Hm...true. It could work very well for an optional dungeon. I guess I'll keep this as the FF Reference dungeon then! I'll just move onto another dungeon in the meantime, since I don't feel like dealing with this dungeon for now. Dunno what the rewards would be at the very end (a person recommended something like a new character or something that would change something in the story later, like instead of fighting a character, they'd join your side for that battle, but that'd require me to mess with the database and with characters, which would force people who have save files to completely start over because of how 2k3 handles that and auuuugh!!!), but I would like to have the dungeon be a pretty tough dungeon overall.