REVIEW SCORING: STANDARDIZATION, PROFESSIONALISM, ETC.

author=Fallen-Griever
IF RATING >= 2.5 THEN

THUMBS UP
ELSE
THUMBS DOWN
END STATEMENT
;)
:D

Didn't we just spend 10 pages arguing about how inconsistently the rating system was applied? (and the nuances between what people consider "average"?)
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Kentona: what are, in a brief, super-readable summary (you're good at those) the changes, if any, that RMN is seriously considering implementing at this time? And if the answer is 'Nothing' then say that. : )
author=Max McGee
Kentona: what are, in a brief, super-readable summary (you're good at those) the changes, if any, that RMN is seriously considering implementing at this time? And if the answer is 'Nothing' then say that. : )
Overall, or with regards to reviews?

No decisions have been made regarding reviews at this time.
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
Would it be possible to have it where the score is in it's own page, so you have to click to view it? Then people would have a chance to read the game's profile first, then check the score.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I'm relieved no decisions have been made regarding reviews. I was hoping for a list of what's seriously on the table.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Craze
Value words are even more ambiguous than numbers.

Okay, Craze. I'm gonna give you a little quiz.

1. Which of the following is average?

2. Which of the following is average?

poor
average
good

3. How the hell do you still think this? (write three complete sentences)

from kentona
I can explore the option of creating weighted/rated posts for gameprofiles.

This sounds like a good idea to me! It's a step further than just thumbs up/down by requiring the voter to post, and like you described, it would be easy to report malicious posts.
author=kentona
author=Max McGee
Overall, or with regards to reviews?

No decisions have been made regarding reviews at this time.

Honestly, I don't think anything is wrong with the review system, just that there aren't enough reviews. Obviously, a way to see weighted/rated reviews would be great, but really we just need more people reviewing (myself included). I hold myself accountable to this as well, as I've played most of the completed games but never written a review.

One way to easily simplify the process would be to add another drop-down where you can view games by the number of reviews. I think Forever's End has 16, Hero's Realm 14, but being able to see other games that also have plenty of reviews would be helpful.

Another thing would be to reward extra maker points to people who review games that say have less than 5 reviews, then 10 reviews (extra, but less than the 5 reviews), and then use weighted reviews (to see which reviews people agree with) to balance out stupid reviews that were just there for the points or the attention.
Well, I plan on implementing some Review (and article and tutorial) writing achievements, which will reward reviewers for their continued efforts.

As for weighted reviews, that won't happen. Part of the philosophy of the site is that no one's opinion matters more than another's.

I also hope to encourage more reviews in the future.
author=kentona
Part of the philosophy of the site is that no one's opinion matters more than another's.

Unless someone has a higher makerscore. Then it matter more.
author=Diaskeaus
Another thing would be to reward extra maker points to people who review games that say have less than 5 reviews, then 10 reviews (extra, but less than the 5 reviews), and then use weighted reviews (to see which reviews people agree with) to balance out stupid reviews that were just there for the points or the attention.

One of my favorite suggestions in all the thread. Possibly even more reward for people reviewing games that have none. People who just aren't inclined to write reviews wont care much. But there are some who both like to write them and are willing to try a wide range of games. I for one would pick out something adventurous to try and review with that extra touch of incentive.

We want more reviews, but we don't want a slew of poorly written or nonsensical ones. I would like an Agree/Disagree feature to really put some of the poor reviews in check and highlight good ones. Then again, that could be no more objective than a bad review. Someone who does not agree with every last point of a review might select disagree, which reflects a bad review altogether. Or someone might make a good review which is very critical, but then legions of fans would disagree solely on the basis that they like the game and "How dare anyone write a review for this game that isn't in a positive light - disagree". I could almost bet that most reviews would get an overwhelming amount of disagrees (thumbs down, whatever).
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I always get to these threads too late. I have a response ready into my head; but the last three pages always run the thread into the ground. =/
Whenever someone writes the first review for a game, give them 9999999999999999999 Makerscore.
Change RMN to "RottenChapsets". You can give a game a Rotten Chapset review or a Fresh Chapset review.
author=ChaosProductions
I always get to these threads too late. I have a response ready into my head; but the last three pages always run the thread into the ground. =/
let's hear it!
I thought everyone having their own idea of what ratings to give games is what drives the point of even reading the review itself and not just looking at the star count. It's not like GameFAQs imploded suddenly because there was no standard, they give you 10 points and your review has to only make sense and be reasonable.
Yeah can we just systematically remove star ratings.
author=Illustrious
author=Diaskeaus
One of my favorite suggestions in all the thread. Possibly even more reward for people reviewing games that have none. People who just aren't inclined to write reviews wont care much. But there are some who both like to write them and are willing to try a wide range of games. I for one would pick out something adventurous to try and review with that extra touch of incentive.

I'm not 100% against this in principle, but out of 900-odd reviews you can page through on the site there are, if I go by the stats thread, only about 40 that wouldn't have qualified for this bonus.

Maybe somebody with access to the data could give you the numbers for a smaller threshold. But I still think you'd really need to cause the total number of reviews to go up significantly for this to work at all; is a makerscore boost going to manage that?
Yeah, I think I did not post from the perspective that most games are lucky to have just one review. My mind was thinking in terms of the ones with 6-14, where the reviews beat a dead horse. Like I want to say Forever's End is good, we get it. This certainly isn't a reflection of the typical games on the site. What I cared about is that hopefully everyone gets to see at least a review for their effort, and in the short term some people might want to seek those that got overlooked.

Then I think about the hundreds of games that are unreviewed because they were made for a short term community event. Those reviews would be awkward.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
author=kentona
New rule: whenever a discussion gets sidetracked, we should all agree to discuss Hero's Realm instead.
lololol That is a good game though.
EDIT: I looked it up, and had no idea it was your game. Amazing Job! :3