~ MANOR MAP MADNESS ~ (SIGN UPS)

arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
I imagine I will have fun with this since making and remaking a single room is essentially the entire extent of my game making abilities. Now how should I make my CBS...
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I swear, if I don't see Pyrodoom's room in that manor..........................
Uh, what??? As long as it's submitted, it'll be in the manor.
Speaking of, why not add your own special touch to the manor, chana? ;D
chana
No, thx, I really don't think i'm skilled enough to do this.
arcan
It's not that hard to make one map. Plus I'd rather have a lot of mediocre maps than having no one participate.
chana
"Plus I'd rather have a lot of mediocre maps than having no one participate.", you're right there (I'm conscious of the fact I'm not too "encouraging", but just leave me out, I do what I can {IRL}...).
arcan
Hey I'm not saying you are mediocre, just that if you still think you are it doesn't matter.
I could make two rooms as well if not enough people participate. I have a few ideas already. :P
chana
I know, I perfectly understood what you said, and I totally agree; well I'll think about it:)
author=arcan
It's not that hard to make one map. Plus I'd rather have a lot of mediocre maps than having no one participate.

Totally! And I love the idea of "participation only" medals, no judging for this one. I'm still willing to do two rooms, but we're gonna get specific criteria later, right? Like you said I might get "Wine cellar, secret passage, stairs on the left" etc and then embellishment thereafter? Feel free to make my criteria super specific (though maybe only on one room)

As for atmosphere... I'm trying to imagine what kind of overlays I could use. In my own haunted house (in Beyond Eden) I use a lingering miasma that has various concentration levels and lingering horrors within them, but this is an entire house phenomena and probably wouldn't work in one room. I'm struggling with consistency in atmosphere and theme. Are we gonna focus on nightmarish hallucinations? Lovecraft imagery? Ghosts? Magic? Undead? Monsters?
And what of combat? Are we designing mini-games or just exploring? Collecting items without a database (which is easily done with switches) but what of the "menu" system? Any kind of onscreen player recognition? Puzzle solving?

I can do whatever you like/need, but I'd love as much detail as possible on what it is you would like to see in the finished product.
I freaking love haunted houses.
arcan
Haha making a map is easy but making it scary is hard.
Consistency through atmosphere and theme won't be a problem with what I've got in mind - the consistency will be through the base graphics. You can do minigames, or explorations if that's what you want.
This is mainly about creating an atmosphere, though - whichever it may be. Most will probably focus on spooky and that's the best way to go in this case - seeing as it's a Halloween map compilation. Don't fret if you think it will be too different from everyone elses - it'll be up to me to make it all cohesive so don't worry about it. :D

That said the description I give you will be something like so:

THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE!
Your room is the butterfly house. Here butterflies are bred and fly freely among exotic flowers.
There are three exits. One is a secret exit, one is a normal exit and the last is a stairwell leading down.

It gives you something to build on whilst allowing you to design as you will. Hopefully that's more than enough information, though if you require more you could just PM me. Also, if you need ideas, feel free to ask.
I suppose there's an overall blueprint already decided for the Mansion. That is, the room you get will have fixed dimensions and where the doors and windows, etc are placed. But since it's a ghost house of sorts, common geometries might not fully apply.

So I see that you can get multiple maps, even for one room. So you could maybe enter a "drug trip"-dimension or something?
Worry not, Zephyr, I have it all covered~ ^.^

Are you, perchance joining MaMaMa?

The multiple maps thing is for if you want a small cupboard or something added to the room. Some have ensuites and walk-in robes, others hidden passages or even cellars/attics/storage cupboards. For example, again using the butterfly house - perhaps there's a room for the rarest of butterflies? Maybe a small area when plants are maintained? Or a sideroom where one may entertain and eat whilst watching the butterflies? That would be up to the mapper.
Will you say in what directions the exits must be? For example if in a room there's two exits; one west and one south.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I'll sign up, I just got my marks from course and 100% with all the work handed in. Just got my exams left so I actually have some free time on my hands!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Hey now, it's not about perfection but saying you tried! As long as you're proud of your map; that's what matters most!

Fair enough. Might as well sign me up too, as I have an idea floating in my head that I'm writing down feverishly before I forget it. No clue if the idea I have will work with the room I will be assigned, but it is my hope I'll get more ideas before "Go!" time.
Well, I'll sign up then. I can probably think of some puzzle that makes you regret you walked inside in the first place. If that fails, I can always make my attempt at atmosphere.
(I'm most likely going to use some switches and variables.)
*Signs up*

Hey, this is really weird, the next area I'm making for my game is a haunted manor house so when I saw this I was like 'Hmmm...' Is there any chance I could use the end result of this event in my game if I contribute to it and also give credit, d'you think?

Edit: Switches and variables seem helpful.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Speaking of switches and variables, I'm only seeing me use two switches for the one idea I have. Maybe I should get five, just in case, though?