WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

What the hell? If you could replicate any meat, why the hell would you even choose human meat. Just bring some chicken with you on the spaceship, jeez.

@Jeroen_Sol
You seem to have given it a little bit too much thought.
I've heard theories that human meat is the best fit for humans to eat nutritionally, because it's exactly human.
this gives new meaning to the Neanderthal Diet...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=SnowOwl
What the hell? If you could replicate any meat, why the hell would you even choose human meat. Just bring some chicken with you on the spaceship, jeez.
The counterquestion is, why wouldn't you? There's no particular reason why it would be inferior to other types of meat. There's a social stigma against it now, but I can definitely see that slowly disappearing over time once synethetic meat came into existance.

I guess the main difference would be having centuries worth of recipes to use for more traditional types of meat. We all know hundreds of really good ways to cook beef that have been perfected by chefs over time. I can't name a single decent human dish.

And I guess the same is true for, say, koala meat or tarantula meat or penguin meat or boa constrictor meat. Even with the right technology, it would take a very long time before people started making anything really worth eating out of that stuff. There'd be a solid hundred years where it was limited to avant-garde chefs serving food on reclaimed driftwood, based in their restarunt that's a giant inside-out carnival tent in San Francisco, where all the waiters have plastic surgery making them look like Charles Manson but their uniforms are Dragon Ball Z karate gis. "Look at my food, my whole venue, it is... ART!"
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D

When you get the perfect streak going but then that one miss sets you off...
author=LockeZ
author=SnowOwl
The counterquestion is, why wouldn't you? There's no particular reason why it would be inferior to other types of meat. There's a social stigma against it now, but I can definitely see that slowly disappearing over time once synethetic meat came into existance.

I think this is the one time that logic doesn't apply. It's just kinda bleh, due to being raised to think so. It would have to be a life or death situation for me to eat human meat.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Remember that bullshit that had traces of truth about how violent games make kids violent? What if eating human meat, even if it's synthetic, gives you a taste for the real deal? What if it gives a troubled person that craving, and they go "i'm sick and tired of this synthetic human flesh!" and suddenly we've got a serial killer with cannibalistic tendencies?

Spooky
If you have something that can synthesize meat, then the natural extension of avant garde cuisine would be to create meat that exists outside of the standard human experience--meat that exists just to trigger specific taste buds in order to maximize the experience, meat that so far has only existed at the edges of our imagination.

So, fuck eating human meat, I want to eat an Oompa Loompa.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Suddenly rmn is cannibal net
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Real Meal Network.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
That would probably happen about as often as people start killing chickens left and right because they like the taste of chicken. I.E. almost never.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Eating chicken meat doesn't have the same moral weight as eating human meat does though, because we're human and the implication of eating something from your own species affects us thinking beings. I don't know of that many people that could eat human flesh and not think at least a bit about what they're doing and how it is a little bit fucked up, unless you live in a cannibal community.

Which makes me wonder if a possibility of a synthetic human meat could erase that sort of effect on, you know, normal people.
I thought about that too, mirak.

Synthetic meat will probably be marketed as humane because you don't have to kill anything to do make it. This impression of the food will probably last a long while, and it would be strange for people who chose the humane alternative for meat in the first place to then turn around and to want the real thing (which they've never had before) and murder living things (which probably influenced their choice to go synthetic in the first place).

So, that's a good question, but I don't think it would. Not in normal people at least. Maybe someone that's not as normal though.

Edit: I, uh, didn't really mean to turn this into the Real Cannibal Network though. XD I agree that I would probably prefer meat engineered to be the most delicious thing ever. Like Oompa Loompa meat~
author=Frogge
Suddenly rmn is cannibal net

I'd laugh of it but...

author=Sooz Tagline
Fun Fact: Children are a great source of joy and protein.

...I'm starting to get worried.
author=FlyingJester
I've heard theories that human meat is the best fit for humans to eat nutritionally, because it's exactly human.

Actually, this is the reason certain Neanderthalithic (?) tribes died out - eating our own meat is bad for us. Very much so. Cannibalism leads to quite a few diseases so...

There exists a third reason (as well as many more that will not be addressed here) why cannibalism is bad for you, and it seems like karma. If you eat human brains, you may contract a disease that will return the favor: kuru will eat your brain. Worse yet, there is no cure.

Kuru may be untreatable, but it is also rare. So rare in fact, that it is limited geographically and temporally to the Fore tribe in Papua New Guinea, who experienced a sustained epidemic which peaked during the 1950s and slowly declined over the ensuing decades. At its peak, the disease was the most common cause of death of Fore women. The Fore tribe consumed their dead not in a malicious fashion, but as a funeral rite. After scientists identified the disease, cannibalism effectively ceased in the early 1960s – for kuru, the best treatment is prevention.

Prevention is essential because once you contract this particular Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE), not only is there is no cure, but it is unfailingly lethal. TSEs are typically defined by a traffic jam of bent-out-of-shape proteins, or prions, in your brain. Once in the brain, prions degrade neurological function and cause the symptoms of kuru: tremors, loss of balance, and headaches. The incubation period ranges between a few years and as long as 60 years, but once symptoms start in someone, they usually have only a few years left to live. The spongiform component of kuru is a visceral depiction of the physical effect the disease imprints on the brain: it leaves your gray matter as cratered as a sponge.
- Extract

That's just one source, but there are plenty others.
author=Liberty
author=FlyingJester
Actually, this is the reason certain Neanderthalithic (?) tribes died out - eating our own meat is bad for us. Very much so. Cannibalism leads to quite a few diseases so...

Oh I'm well aware, although something could be nutritionally well suited but also quite full of dangerous diseases. Of course, if we're talking about synthetic flesh, then it would probably be disease free (or very limited).
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Nobody said anything about eating human brains. We don't eat chicken brains either.
People eat pork brains, though.