WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I actually believe they're trying to destroy the planet and kill us all, and then go into their hidden bunkers with their non-perishable food supplies and swim in the money that can no longer buy anything.

Edit: Fucking pagebreak! This was in response to Pizza's post.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Yes, because it's totally Shell's fault and not ours for our unsatiable demand of fossil fuels, am I right?
I believe I said "people" were stupid.

But yes, it is Shell's fault that this particular thing exists because they built it.

I mean my first concept of a giant seaborn power plant would probably operate on either wind or tidal forces, things which can no doubt be found in abundance in the ocean.
I actually believe they're trying to destroy the planet and kill us all, and then go into their hidden bunkers with their non-perishable food supplies and swim in the money that can no longer buy anything.

It's a good thing Roland Emmerich knew about this and made us a tutorial in movie form about how to survive the end of the world. =P

Edit: Awkwaaaaard~
pianotm
And exactly, how is society's dependency on fossil fuels society's fault? I mean seriously. One group of rich, greedy people build an industry that never existed and society never knew or cared about, used their money to push it and force it into society's infrastructure. Society isn't informed about the potential pitfalls and it's really unreasonable to expect society to make that kind of informed decision about a product, especially since the industry pushing that product exclusively controlled the information about that product until very recently.

That's not society's fault. That's a bunch of rich, greedy people taking advantage of a bunch of people that don't have the resources that the rich, greedy people do. I have an idea: give up your water purification, medicine, and computer...forever. All of these thing's very existence are hopelessly dependent on oil. You can't make pills without oil. You can't purify water without oil. Your Brita water pitcher? How do you think that plastic came into existence? Oil. The filter is coal. That's another story. Give up your tap water too: water purification plants need oil.

Finally, yeah, there are alternatives to all of those things, but I don't know if you've been following environmental news but we're not allowed to not need oil. Electric cars are banned in many places throughout the U. S. There's a car that gets 300 miles per gallon. The U. S. has outlawed its sale in this country. Landowners victimized by oil companies are being convicted of crimes for talking about the effects and the health problems caused by oil drilling.

Society is fighting hard to make alternatives available and it's been a losing battle. We pushed to ban the Keystone XL pipeline, so what do lawmakers do? They slip another dozen tar-sand pipelines into laws that are completely unrelated so that we won't know they're building them. Not only did we manage to defeat Keystone XL, but lawmakers are now managing to push it past the people, so in spite of all our work and the clear resounding boom that says we don't want these pipelines, what we want doesn't matter. Don't you dare blame the patient for the disease. It's nobody's fault society has cancer, but it is the fault of the people who take advantage of it.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Us, as Western societies, thrived on fossil fuels. Blaming the rich people, who introduced things like computers, plastics, machines, and basically any other modern product you could think of, for all the problems we face today isn't going to cut it. That would be dodging the responsibility we have for being in this priviledged position due to our use of fossil fuels. Luckily, we are not dodging that responsibility, but investing a lot of time and money in our scientists to find alternatives.

If the US government is truly counteracting that, then you just made me lose any faith I had left in the US as a civilized country.

Of course we are fighting against our need for fossil fuels. That's because we have that responsibility, because we owe our priviledge to that need. We can't deny our own responsibility.
author=suzy_cheesedreams
I reduced all the graphical settings to the lowest they would go. Creating sims and building was houses was fine with the full graphics, but actually playing with the families made the game freeze. Hasn't frozen again after reducing the graphic quality.
That's not my problem. My computer can handle all of the graphical settings at maximum. The problem is that the game runs at 1,500 frames per second. Any other game runs at 30-60 FPS, and The Sims 3 is cranking along at 1,500-1,700 FPS at times (mostly during load screens and build/buy). During actual gameplay, it fluctuates between 80-150 FPS, overheats my computer and crashes.

I've downloaded a FPS Limiter that allegedly caps the FPS at 30, but I haven't been able to get it to work. :x
pianotm
@Jeroen_Sol It's true enough that we all bear a strong measure of responsibility, but when the majority of people are of severely limited means, it's equally unfair to put responsibility on them because there is nothing else they can do. They can either take what is offered or starve to death. Beggars can't be choosers. They can hardly be blamed for what those with power to effect refuse to do so. It would be one thing if changing infrastructure was the main obstacle, but it's not. Insatiable greed coupled with obscene power is the primary impetus behind the life-force of Big Oil.
@AlphaOmega247 ha, never mind me, then! Your problem sounds more annoying than the one I had with the Sims 3. I must have a crappier computer than you, too XD
Erynden
Gamers don't die, they respawn.
Got an Amazon gift card as an early present from a relative, went to see if I can buy a $50 Steam gift card with it and I find out that the $50 Steam gift card costs $60 on Amazon... T-T
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Got my gf a lot... Wii U, Hyrule Warriors, Legend of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure for NES, Wind Waker HD, FEAR, FEAR 3, Final Fantasy 13-3, and the amiibo for Link, Zelda and Pikachu. She should be okay with this.
Linkis
Don't hate me cause I'm Cute :)
author=Dudesoft
Got my gf a lot... Wii U, Hyrule Warriors, Legend of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure for NES, Wind Waker HD, FEAR, FEAR 3, Final Fantasy 13-3, and the amiibo for Link, Zelda and Pikachu. She should be okay with this.

That's great Dude, but what did she get you? :)
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Dudesoft

You're not smothering her, are you? I mean, she did tell you that she wanted all these things, right? And that it wouldn't at all be creepy if you dropped a mountain of gifts on her because she's your "sweetie-pie"?
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
More importantly can I be your mistress Dudesoft?
Dudesoft
Doublepost
Dudesoft
author=Corfaisus
author=Dudesoft
You're not smothering her, are you? I mean, she did tell you that she wanted all these things, right? And that it wouldn't at all be creepy if you dropped a mountain of gifts on her because she's your "sweetie-pie"?

We live together, she spent $400 on me so far as well.
I might add, this is her first time celebrating Christmas, so we're doing it in a big way.
Jeroen_Sol
I spent €0 on my girlfriend this Christmas.

Y'know, 'cause I don't have one.

-opens a beer-
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I've spent $0 on my girlfriend this Christmas because I don't have a job.

btw Feral Solidarity is a steal at $5. Spread a little Christmas cheer this year by purchasing it for your loved ones!
author=Jeroen_Sol
I spent €0 on my girlfriend this Christmas.

Y'know, 'cause I don't have one.

-opens a beer-
I know those feels... Of course, I can spend more money on MYSELF, which is a major plus. I guess. Maybe?
Being home in Newfoundland for Christmas is good. I think I spent maybe 300$ on gifts this year between the six people I need to buy them for.

I don't have a computer here though, as my old laptop crashed immediately after starting it up. Looks like I was right to get my Secret Santa done before leaving Toronto.