PRESIDENT TRUMP

Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=kentona
I like how he's draining the swamp and then appointing the slimiest things crawling around on the bottom to his cabinet

There are eldritch horrors lurking at the bottom waiting to be dredged up by idiot humans who desire power.

author=harmonic
author=Kaempfer
Also lol@ harmonic using "liberals" as a catch-all term for everyone he doesn't like. What a fucking guy.
That's not how I'm using it. That might be how YOU use it (terms flipped), but don't put words in my mouth. I'm referring to liberals specifically.

lmao. then that means you are just making ordinary blanket statements, which aren't exactly of a higher caliber than kaempfer's interpretation. stay polarized if you want to mate, but a lot of people around here are willing to meet others in the middle if they're willing to go that distance.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Magi
lmao. then that means you are just making ordinary blanket statements, which aren't exactly of a higher caliber than kaempfer's interpretation. stay polarized if you want to mate, but a lot of people around here are willing to meet others in the middle if they're willing to go that distance.

Context and nuance are important. I said "liberals" referring to a political force that, as dozens of liberal pundits have admitted in the past few days, kept its collective head in the sand, didn't listen to or care about middle America, and paid the price in the ballot box. Again, the choice is yours to learn from the loss or continue with the same tunnel vision that got you president-elect Trump.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I just got back from lunch and came across an enormous crowd of veterans protesting against fascism. It's really incredible how united everyone in the city is here. After hearing about the huge surge of minorities being gunned down in this country since the election, it's inspiring to see that no amount of terrorism and violence can break hope.
author=Sal
After hearing about the huge surge of minorities being gunned down in this country since the election

Wait, what? I've heard about all of the violence against minorities since the election, but what's this about huge surge of minorities being gunned down?
author=Feldschlacht IV
Absolutely, but the issue isn't just tangible effects, it's optics as well, and if people perceive it to be a bigger problem than it is

author=harmonic
I'll see your personal grudge and raise you anti-Trump protestors are saying "RAPE MELANIA" and "ASSASSINATE TRUMP".

Going forward, we're all going to have to be aware that not every exercise of democratic rights (ie. protesting) is violence and hate spewing.
Even if you have a perfectly peaceful demonstration, all it takes is one asshole throwing a mailbox through a window, and the media will faun over him saying "That's it! That's what's going on down here." Whether it's because of their pursuit of sensationalism for ratings, or Rupert Murdoch's evil conspiracy, we all better inoculate ourselves (and friends & family too) for how everything is going to be reported country-wide.

"Black bloc" should be a household phrase by now. If you aren't familiar with it, look it up.
The stakes were really high in this election:

A lot of people were afraid that Clinton would antagonize Russia into World War 3.

Global Warming is getting more and more scientific data to back it up, and it doesn't look good. Trump and co. are looking the other way.

Working, blue-collar whites in the midwest are DESPERATE just to keep the higher-paying factory jobs that are rapidly vanishing to other countries. They don't have college degrees, but they do have families to take care of.

Trump's party is historically not very tolerant, so to speak, and gays and minorities just made some important strides forward that should not be undone.

When you think of all of the red-hot issues that each candidate represented, it's no wonder everyone's so fired up.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Feldschlacht IV
Sal
After hearing about the huge surge of minorities being gunned down in this country since the election
Wait, what? I've heard about all of the violence against minorities since the election, but what's this about huge surge of minorities being gunned down?

^^^^

Sal, dude, details.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
There are stories going around of a widespread outpouring of harassment (here) but I've not heard stories of minorities being gunned down.

Be careful throwing statements like that around without sources, Sai.
author=harmonic
I'll see your personal grudge and raise you anti-Trump protestors are saying "RAPE MELANIA" and "ASSASSINATE TRUMP". I wasn't going to even bring it up, but Kaempfer decided to take this pretty civil discussion and drag it into hateful territory again.

If I'm supposed to like people that call for raping Melania Trump, then we can't find common ground.
Yeah man because I said you used liberals as a catch-all pejorative that means I definitely support dickheads with signs endorsing serious crimes. You figured it out. Great job.

author=Feldschlacht IV
optics
There's no doubt that the optics of the situation are super important, but it's not possible for the rational to police the irrational in all cases, especially with the internet bringing instant coverage of the kooks. So long as the overwhelming majority is good, you take it along with the bad. If you don't, you get people saying "let's ban all Muslims!" and "these crazy people protesting a yoga studio represent all of feminism!". You brought up "yoga is cancelled because it's cultural appropriation" twice, but like, that CAN'T be a big deal for you. If you're letting one-offs like that affect your thinking, then it's your processing that's at fault, not the optics (although again there is an issue there I'm not disagreeing, but come on, the yoga thing?!).

Please noone give me that "no true Scotsman fallacy" bullshit, either. People have a tendency (desire?) to judge any group, no matter how disparate and decentralized, by its worst members. They latch on to stories of the insane (on all sides, this is universal behaviour) and post them everywhere they can.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=harmonic
author=Magi
Context and nuance are important. I said "liberals" referring to a political force that, as dozens of liberal pundits have admitted in the past few days, kept its collective head in the sand, didn't listen to or care about middle America, and paid the price in the ballot box. Again, the choice is yours to learn from the loss or continue with the same tunnel vision that got you president-elect Trump.

Partisan rhetoric has become so inflammatory that it is completely impossible to see the nuance in anything without having to second-guess the subtext or the intentions of a statement, including yours. There are too many factors that were at play in this election to just simply resign the loss to the "forgotten middle class" phenomenon, but it's the ones people love to cite the most because it's the least caustic of truths and safest to proclaim without backlash.

Guess I should've just voted for 'dildo swaggins' like the other edge lords who wanted to throw away their vote. being reasonable and mature is passe anyway, and trump just set the new standard. Now let's put this bitterness aside and race to the bottom together.

see you in h.e.l.l. r.m.n.
higher paying factory jobs aren't being lost to overseas. They are being lost to automation.
author=Harmonic
But this is RMN and I'm Harmonic and that means I'm automatically going to be dogpiled no matter what,

You know, Harm, I've known you a really long time. And I told you this back when we talked on a fairly regular basis, and at that time, I said it as a friend who was genuinely concerned for your well-being.

It's not us. It's you.

Every time I see your cat pic posting in a thread, I know I'm about to be treated to a flurry of maudlin, woe-is-me comments about how everyone hates you, and it's been like that for... god, how long have I known you? More than 10 years?

Since day one you've been like that, Harm. Maybe you ought to take a long, hard look at this "re-evaluate" advice you keep giving everyone and apply it inwardly for once.

I'm sorry, but it is awfully ironic to read you of all people utter the term "professional victim."
author=kentona
higher paying factory jobs aren't being lost to overseas. They are being lost to automation.

Oh of course, you know this and I know this, but many people who are losing those jobs either don't or won't. Trump spoke to those people, and even though it was mostly rhetoric and Trump can't do shit about it, those people voted for him. He won the entire Rust Belt; he even turned some blue states red!
don't mind me, i just came back to laugh at what sai and agree with what badluck wrote above completely.

i haven't read the rest of this topic and i don't plan it as i have long since lost interest in talking about politics with people on the internet, but never forget to have a sense of humor, guys. a little bit of levity goes a long fucking way.

otherwise you may turn out like harm

i'll go back to hiding in my corner and contributing nothing to the world, bye now.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=BadLuck
author=Harmonic
But this is RMN and I'm Harmonic and that means I'm automatically going to be dogpiled no matter what,
You know, Harm, I've known you a really long time. And I told you this back when we talked on a fairly regular basis, and at that time, I said it as a friend who was genuinely concerned for your well-being.

It's not us. It's you.

Every time I see your cat pic posting in a thread, I know I'm about to be treated to a flurry of maudlin, woe-is-me comments about how everyone hates you, and it's been like that for... god, how long have I known you? More than 10 years?

Since day one you've been like that, Harm. Maybe you ought to take a long, hard look at this "re-evaluate" advice you keep giving everyone and apply it inwardly for once.

I'm sorry, but it is awfully ironic to read you of all people utter the term "professional victim."

Badluck. I want you to listen carefully.

First, no, you've not known me for a very long time. You've known *of* me.

You are taking a very "come to Jesus", matter-of-fact tone with me, when that is not only unnecessary, but also obnoxious, and also it enables people like Craze who, yes, will blow up at me because I'm me, and this has been proven multiple times. That's not being a victim, that's stating a fact. Look how many times Craze has been warned by mods here. Major vindication recently with Corfaisus's suspension, indicating that yes, he basically logs on looking for a fight.

The context of my statement "professional victim" was specifically in regards to agitators in the political realm. People who say "white cismale shitlord" every 0.5 seconds and things of that nature. Very different context than me stating quite accurately that a handful of belligerents at RMN will automatically get personal with me, no matter what I say. Proof is everywhere. And multiple people have backed me up, mostly in PMs (as they've also been dogpiled by the same agitators) and sometimes publicly.

Fact, not opinion. Not maudlin. I state it when no emotion, no facial affect whatsoever. It's just like "there they go again."

The one mistake I've made with that is wording it in a way that suggests it's the entire website, when it's clearly just a handful of regulars who cannot shed their GW.net-style, RPGAdvocate style, 4chan shit-posting style posting.

Considering this is a political thread right after a Trump victory and many hard feelings all around, it has been considerably civil, with a few minor bumps in the road from Craze and Kaempfer.

If you were sincere, you would have PM'ed me. But you made your post public. Disappointing, BL.

author=Karsuman
otherwise you may turn out like harm

Case in point. I haven't spoken with Karsu in years, haven't provoked in this thread, and in comes the auto-shitpost. FACT, not maudlin. It doesn't affect my day, but I'm not going to sit here and lie and say it doesn't happen!
So, I had a lot to say here, because I think your post is pretty much BS, and is actually demonstrating my point for me, so I'll just drop it here. I don't actually want to talk about this, and I'm sure Liberty and the other mods don't care to see this either.

I'll just leave you with this.

>Case in point. I haven't spoken with Karsu in years, haven't provoked in this thread, and in comes the auto-shitpost.

I'm sure Karsu is just as tired of your bullshit as everyone else is, Harm.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Guys this thread isn't about harm. If you have personal business with each other please take it to PM. No more callouts.
On a lighter note, let's discuss the people that whined when Trump hinted that he might not accept the outcome of the election that are now doing exactly what they whined about, except ten times worse. If it's so important to them to accept the outcome of an election, how about they do exactly that themselves? Calling for assassinations and rioting, really?
I find this deeply ironic.