WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

Through a bunch of eventing and some simple scripting, I've managed to get a Shin Megami Tensei-like moon phase system working in VX Ace.

The hard part was getting the game to count a variable each time you take a step (and hopefully the way I did so won't cause a problem) but now I have it so that after X number of steps, the phase changes and eventually loops back around.
Your crescent is waxing by the looks of it!

author=GreatRedSpirit
Your crescent is waxing by the looks of it!

*checks chart* Oh bloody hell, I installed the pictures in reverse.
It got me to look up the phases of the moon chart to make sure I remembered waxing/waning right so it's all cool, TIL a half moon is called first quarter (after a new moon) and third quarter (after a full moon)!
Workin' on turning my Touhou fangame into something more original.
Got to a point in my game development where I need to start really nailing down a narrative. So I wrote fifteen pages of story stuff... back story, an outline of in-game events, and some dialogue sequences. Need to start fleshing out the characters more, too.
author=narcodis
Got to a point in my game development where I need to start really nailing down a narrative. So I wrote fifteen pages of story stuff... back story, an outline of in-game events, and some dialogue sequences. Need to start fleshing out the characters more, too.

I'm curious what point in the game development that is for you. For me, I don't even have much of an idea what the style or mechanics of a game ought to be like until I have a good sense of what the overarching narrative is going to be.

If I'm working with someone else, who already has an idea where they want to go with the mechanics, but not the story, I can do it the other way, but this always feels distinctly like working backwards to me.

author=Desertopa
author=narcodis
I'm curious what point in the game development that is for you. For me, I don't even have much of an idea what the style or mechanics of a game ought to be like until I have a good sense of what the overarching narrative is going to be.

If I'm working with someone else, who already has an idea where they want to go with the mechanics, but not the story, I can do it the other way, but this always feels distinctly like working backwards to me.

Well, up until this point, the entire story has been "go to this bigass tower and figure out how to break the curse that turned everyone into monsters". Given that, it's been pretty easy to just design a ton of dungeons and traps and combat and puzzles etc.

Like, if you think of Castlevania, the story there is basically "go up and kill dracula" and not much else needs to be said. It's a bit more involved in later games, but not too far off the mark. Same sort of deal.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
I need to come up with a better approach to character writing. As it stands, I just write down a general storyboard and how the characters are and all the dialogue that I put into the actual game is made when I event a cutscene. I should address this issue.
workin on My first RPGmaker Game, it will be great. I'll be avoiding autogenerated dungeons and sample maps... noticed those were very popular with the newbies
author=Kyoui

Hey this looks pretty neat. Was it hard to make this type of game in VX Ace?
author=PhantasmaX
author=Kyoui
Hey this looks pretty neat. Was it hard to make this type of game in VX Ace?
Depends on what you're good at/into, it takes a lot of small changes to existing scripts and coming up with ways to creatively change variables, which is what I find to be the most enjoying thing to do in rpg maker.

In hindsight I'm not sure if I would pick rpgmaker to make this kind of game, but the engine is pretty much as flexibe as you want it to be. And it has a relatively gentle learing curve.
Currently working on updating characters a bit more again while typing out the dialogue for the upcoming dungeon. Might as well do that while I'm doing database work, right? Touhou Fantasy: The Database Edition. Most people probably by now only know of the game just because of all the database work. T-T

Anywho, I'm actually stumped here. I have an ability that I'm trying to work on, and not sure how to get it set up right.

Look confusing? Well, the idea is this:

Misfortune/Misfortune/Fortune/Great Fortune to Omikuji Bomb. For each level, starts at 30% Max at level 1, up to 100% at max level.
*Divine Lottery: All levels heal target based on target's (Max HP - current HP) x X%.
*Level 1: X% is equal to between 0% and 20%.
*Level 2: X% is equal to between 0% and 30%.
*Level 3: X% is equal to between 0% and 40%.
*Level 4: X% is equal to between 0% and 50%.
*Level 5: X% is equal to between 0% and 60%.
Omikuji+ Lv1: Adds +10% to values (starts at 10%). Given by: Moriya Garbs.
Omikuji+ Lv2: Adds +20% to values (starts at 20%). Given by: Gospel Robes, Wand of Miracles.
Omikuji+ Lv3: Adds +30% to values (starts at 30%). Given by: Kagura, Omikuji Onusa.

This particular one is just for Omikuji Bomb, which I WAS going to use via statuses, which I can still do if I really wanted to to avoid having to use another switch for this. Debating if I should, as the only thing that can stop the healing at all is my Resist status which nullifies all statuses. Basically, the idea is based around FFXIII's Curasa, where it heals the missing amount of HP, and if none is missing, it'll only heal 1 HP. There's 8 levels to Omikuji Bomb (which aren't named right yet), with level 1 setting the Random variable between 0-30%, meaning that when the ability is used, the character will heal HP equal to (Max HP - current HP x RDM (0-30%)). However, I don't want to have to copy/paste the coding for each character it can be used for (as you can see with just Reimu's coding, I'd have to do it a lot, and there's 30 some characters I'd have to do that for per rank). Is there a better way of setting this up to check for each character? Should I go with the Conditions route (I use it for a couple other healing abilities too)?

Should Sanae's heals be based off of % of Max HP instead??? If so, how would the Omikuji+ passives work? +10% to the HP healed, to a maximum of +30% (so level 1 Omikuji Bomb, if it healed 20% Max HP, would heal 50% Max HP if she had Omikuji+ Level 3)??
I don't think I'm entirely grasping how you're trying to do it or how it works exactly (it has been a million years since I've done anything in 2k3 much less custom spell effects) but that doesn't mean I can't voice my butt opinion! The math itself can be simplified at least.

So there's five levels of Divine Lottery. I'll assume this is five separate skills. Instead of going into "Does Character X have Skill Y/Z/A/B/C" hell, for this segment of code I'll just use a variable: DivineLotteryLevel. Same with Omikuji+Level. DivineLottery is a value between 1 and 5, Omikuji+ is 0 to 3 since there's no guarantee a character will have that buff.

We'll use two extra variables, one for MaxPower and one for MinPower. MaxPower will be set to 10 at the start of our calculations, MinPower will be set to 0. Now since DivineLotteryLevel is a variable we can take a TempVariable and copy our DLL variable to our TempVar. Multiply our TempVar by 10, then add MaxPower by TempVar. Simple stuff, MaxPower will now be 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 based on DivineLotteryLevel.

MinPower is just more of the same but with Omikuji+Level variable. Copy in temp var, multiply by 10, the add it to MinPower. It'll be 0, 10, 20, or 30.

Now if we could just do a random value between these two numbers we'd be set. RM2k3 only does random values between two set values but we can cheat this: Take our TempVar again and set it to a random value between 0-99999999 or similarly uselessly huge numbers. Now we can use modulus division to constrain the random value of TempVar within our confines. Our range is MaxPower-MinPower, so we'll just take our MaxPower variable and subtract MinPower from it. Then we'll take our TempVar, Modulus it by our MaxPower variable, and then Add the value of our MinPower variable to it. That'll get us a random number between MinPower and MaxPower without the need of these huge branches or other RM2k3 hell.
(if you do this a lot making it a common event and having designated variables as its inputs and output might be handy to make. Don't forget to check if you're trying to modulus by 0 since that'll cause a Divide by Zero error! If the range is zero then don't do the modulus, just output 0 or post a messagebox so you can try and debug it or something)

From there we have our % power we can apply to the MissingHP and calculate how much healing is applied to a character.

Now applying this ingame becomes the challenge. Like you posted checking individual character stuff sucks*. The entire math part of the event should be separated into it's own common event. The event that is triggered by using Divine Lottery will be responsible for feeding it information. I don't know Touhou so I'll use my sample cast list of Sanae, Sakura, Ralph Wiggum, and Dr. Wily. Actor IDs 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively. So Sanae uses Divine Lottery which starts an event. This is where I'm least certain of what's going on but I'll assume there's some way to check who started the spell. There's be branch hell here as the DivineLotteryLevel and Omikuji+Level variables are calculated, I know no way I know of to get around this.

Next we need to apply the Divine Lottery skill to our party. Again we'd have to use hard coded branches here to see who is in our party. We'd check Sanae, she's in so we'd call our healing calculation event. This is where we'd introduce another variable: An ActorID variable to see who gets healing. Sanae is #1 so we'd pass that to our math calculation event above, it would calculate the healing amount (so we'd also have to get and pass Sanae's MaxHP and current HP as well), and let that common event take care of the rest. We'd then check if Sakura is in the party, then Ralph, and finally Dr. Wily.

Here's a screenshot of 2k3 code to try and convey what I'm saying:

This bit is where character specific stuff is looked up and put into variables so that...

This part is clean and modular. HERE BE DRAGONS is whatever is necessary to get the Divine Lottery and Omijuki+ level.

There's changes from what I described as I found better ways to event it as I was doing so, like the temp var is dropped as is Variable#23. I don't know if any of this was useful to you but I hope it was in some way! I don't know how to do fancy shit in 2k3 but I can organize shit and try to find workarounds for limitations!

* I had an enemy effect ingame that would "seal" the player's inventory. I did this by having a common event that would iterate through every consumable item the player had, taking the # of that they had and storing it in a variable, and then removing all items from the player's inventory. After the battle all their items would be restored. Giving the items back was about 12 lines of event code, taking them was two entire common events because it took 2k3 several seconds to load every command because I couldn't just say "Set Variable X to be Item Y's # in Inventory. I had to check every, single, item.
Yeah, ultimately I settled with a simpler method:

*Omikuji: Single-target, potency based, Regen (X turns), chance to full heal the target.
*Divine Lottery: Party-wide, Max HP% based + flat heal.

Outright forgoing the crazy, randomness I was trying to do with the Curasa effect of the original Omikuji Bomb. Go figure! Doesn't mean I don't appreciate you trying to help though! Could even use your help in future brainstorming, if you're ever up for it. I actually am in the process of updating other characters right now. ^^

That will be useful though to keep in mind for future coding if I remember it, mostly because I NEVER use reference variables or the Modulus command (well, I've used Modulus primarily for my Level X skills, and that's it. The Ref variables I've used very rarely, but both I probably could've done more with). I'm sure if you were to look at my game's common events database, it'd make you cringe at how things are handled there probably. ^^;;
I cringe at my own game's event structure, iirc a year or two ago somebody was asking for help for a custom encounter system and I thought of posting mine to help. Then I actually looked at it and it's horrible gloop and decided just to post general suggestions instead of my code.

I can try and help but I'm flaky as hell and I haven't touched 2k3 for years now besides little refreshers to try and help small problems. Hopefully I can help but never bet on me *continues to avoid finishing last bit of current game that's been sitting around for ages now*
author=GreatRedSpirit
I cringe at my own game's event structure, iirc a year or two ago somebody was asking for help for a custom encounter system and I thought of posting mine to help. Then I actually looked at it and it's horrible gloop and decided just to post general suggestions instead of my code.

I can try and help but I'm flaky as hell and I haven't touched 2k3 for years now besides little refreshers to try and help small problems. Hopefully I can help but never bet on me *continues to avoid finishing last bit of current game that's been sitting around for ages now*

I actually use that "Cringe" to boost my morale. You don't feel the improvement when you practice but looking back at something you did a while ago really shows how far you've come.
I'm glad it gets some people going! I just leave snarky comments for my past self, or just scream
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Another day, another new project. Been working on and off for the past three days on it, but I feel I've done the most of tangible gam mak today. Making something of a light-hearted fantasy RPG with elements of a visual novel from character-building and optional dialogue. Whipped up the local restaurant in town, Papa Burger's Eatery, and an event where the protagonist can chat with the owner's son to get a rare healing item after.